Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New wireless router on UPC, few issues....

• 09-12-2009 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,137 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question lads

had been having trouble with my upc internet over the past while, gone very slow, decided to unplug my 3com wireless router and plug directly into the model and problem solved.

i asssumed my router was screwed (3com jobbie ive had for years) so i went and bought this yesterday.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757742/Trail/searchtext%3EWIRELESS+ROUTER.htm

altho it was half price yesterday!

Anyway, gave it a test run just messing about and it seemed fine, then put it in its new home, under the tv, behind a load of dvds and with a glass shelf right above so that the aerials cannot extend up and my net connection seems rubbish again, now im using the laptop in the same room, surely a new routers signal isnt that weak that those kind of obstacles ruin the connection?

i didnt spend a whole lot of time on the set up so maybe thats it?

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Cyrus wrote: »
    Quick question lads

had been having trouble with my upc internet over the past while, gone very slow, decided to unplug my 3com wireless router and plug directly into the model and problem solved.

i asssumed my router was screwed (3com jobbie ive had for years) so i went and bought this yesterday.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6757742/Trail/searchtext%3EWIRELESS+ROUTER.htm

altho it was half price yesterday!

Anyway, gave it a test run just messing about and it seemed fine, then put it in its new home, under the tv, behind a load of dvds and with a glass shelf right above so that the aerials cannot extend up and my net connection seems rubbish again, now im using the laptop in the same room, surely a new routers signal isnt that weak that those kind of obstacles ruin the connection?

i didnt spend a whole lot of time on the set up so maybe thats it?

any ideas?
    Electrical interferrence can cause issues, it's enclosed behind a load of possible things that can reduce the signal - let it breathe (at least the antennas anyway). First of all, try taking it out of the way of everything and only have the router on and move any cordless phones if you have any. Then if the issue remains, try reconfigure the wireless with a different channel as a neighbours router can sometimes interfere too.

Advertisement