Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri-channel DDR3 + AM3 Phenom 2 ?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering. I have tri-channel DDR3 ram, 6gb (3x2gb). Will that fit on Asus Crosshair 3 ? I know it's dual channel board. And was thinking of trying out amd's cpu for the first time. But got some memory from my old i7 rig.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I cannot be entirely sure whether the Phenom's support a-symmetric channels in RAM configuration like the i7's do.

If they don't, installing all 3 modules would have your system run in single channel mode (not good).

Sell / swap 1 2GB module for 2x1GB modules, then you can run 3GB per channel, in dual channel mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Nah just wondering if I need to get new ram just for my amd build as previously I've been on i7 and would like to test amd. Never used it before and will run it for few months along with hd5870 and then switch back to intel and new nvidia once it released.

So will try to install 4gb instead of 6 if that wont work then will get new ram.

No reason it shouldn't work. You could also just pick up anther 2GB module and run 8GB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

true, but then when switching to i7 eventually would have to go 12 i believe to have it 3channel, mine is corsair dominator with the fan

omri wrote: »
    true, but then when switching to i7 eventually would have to go 12 i believe to have it 3channel, mine is corsair dominator with the fan

or 9 if you go with 2x1GB sticks now... (then another 1 when you get i7)

:D

lol if you keep going at this rate you'll be on a 30GB tri channel set up by the summer!

• Advertisement
Advertisement