Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of links - Design Ideas

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I have a long list of links/filters (50 or so) down the sidebar of my page.

I need some way to display them.
    I have implemented paging with next, prev buttons = its OK.
    I have implemented a scroll-bar on them = its OK.

I'm looking for an idea that's better than OK. Is there anything else that I could do in this situation.

Please help.

Comments

I'm not sure of the nature of the list, so its hard to be specific. Chances are there is a jQuery feature/plugin to do what you want.

Split them into divs of logical groupings, with headings. Use jQuery to show/hide div when heading is clicked?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Thanks for the help.

The data is already logically grouped - and still I cannot shorten the list.

Its a list of Nationalitys, they have been split into continent.
    I do not want to split them up further.

So I am left with some pretty large lists.

Any suggestions would be great.

I assume there is some jquery plugin but I cannot find anything. Its difficult when you dont really know what youre looking for.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some ideas here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055593060

If you're expecting people to find a nationality, then you could implement an auto-complete textbox at the top of the page using AJAX / JQuery.

Thanks Eoin,

You do realise you sent me a link to a previous thread of mine. As you can see I work with a lot of data - lots of links.

That was an old project - where I ended up implementing auto-suggest. Maybe I should use something similar here.

Pagination works pretty well here - I suppose I just need to design it in a way that makes it clear whats happening when they click next/prev.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Oh right, I thought you were asking the same question for the same project, which is why I linked to your old thread.

What's the end result for the user? How would they get to the links page, and what does the nationality mean?

• Advertisement

Its a search application. The links are search filters in the sidebar.

Kind of like this - http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0.html?query=phones&tag=srch

Advertisement