Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sooo...how much are we spending?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Just out of curiousity, how much is everyone spending on presents? Think I might be going overboard this year, €400 on my OH so far and I've just come across a good deal for a hotel for the two of us for €600, is this waaay too much? :eek:

And on family it's looking at around €400 also.

This ain't right, surely? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Put it this way. If you've got the money to spend then go for it. There's no real right amount to give. I'm spending about €40 on my girlfriend, €30 on my sister, €40 on my mam and €40 on my dad.

€150 in total.

It's the thought that counts moreso than the amount of money you spend on somebody imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

If you know the person wants/needs something, even if it only costs €2, then it'll mean more than something they don't want/need that costs €150.

This year I've (somehow) got more money than I did last year, so I'm splurging a little bit on people. I guess altogether I'll be spending about €600 between everyone (10 people). Thankfully I'm not a big spender the rest of the year so I can afford to go a bit mad at Christmas ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

50 quid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

definately not too much ... about 20-50 Euros for close friends/family (for each of them) and some very small things for some other people, all in all maybe 300-400€.

I think Xmas should be about having a great time and enjoying yourself, not going bankrupt XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I daren't add up what I spend this year.
    I have from end of Nov to start of Jan about 12 birthdays, (4 of which are in the 3 days before christmas, and are immediate family members). So this time of year is always expensive and have a lot of people to buy for...

But as said, it's not the amount you spend, it's the thought that goes into it. I'm currently making something for one of my best friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

star-pants wrote: »
    I'm currently making something for one of my best friends.

Because you know they will really like it, right?

They are the best kind of presents to receive, when you know someone spent their time on it and not just money.

Your friend is very lucky to have a friend like you, star-pants.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

average €30 per person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Well I hope she'll like it!! I don't think she stalks me on boards so I'll dare to say -- I made her a cushion, and am almost finished making a bag. Never made one before and it's trickier than I thought but I hope it works out!!

I think sometimes it's nicer to find something you know they'll really like. Even if it's small or possibly not new, if it's something from their past or something they've an interest in, then it's worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

we have limited it to €25 for parents, sister, brother and his wife. €50 for bf and him for me.
    All in all i am expecting to spend €250 in total. And to be honest, its €250 I cannot afford.
    I have told family members that I really don't want anything this christmas. Normally we'd buy stuff we really wanted, but I really don't want anything.
    I just like spending time with my family at this time of the year to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Spent about an average of 120 per person over about 15 people I'd say..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

cute_cow wrote: »
    we have limited it to €25 for parents, sister, brother and his wife. €50 for bf and him for me.
    All in all i am expecting to spend €250 in total. And to be honest, its €250 I cannot afford.
    I have told family members that I really don't want anything this christmas. Normally we'd buy stuff we really wanted, but I really don't want anything.
    I just like spending time with my family at this time of the year to be honest.
    fair play to you,being with family is the best present we can have/you dont have to open the wrapper to see whats inside cause we have it all year round,not just christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Bunny_Ears

kickarykee wrote: »
    I think Xmas should be about having a great time and enjoying yourself, not going bankrupt XD
    Exactly! You're absolutely right!
    Hehe, well, I'm making so many presents myself. I've started doing them in September and by now I have no idea how much do all the materials and stuff cost. And adding the time and all the love I'm giving in... I don't even know but I guess all together it's also quite a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Aedh Baclamh

I wouldn't be so quick to say that making something is a better present than buying something. I've picked up something for my OH that I saw them looking at a few months ago. I think it'll be a bit of a surprise when they see that I was paying attention back then!

I've no real problem spending a bit on presents, probably the only time of the year that I do spend a good chunk of money. Being with family is obviously great etc, don't think that needs to be mentioned. Most of us like giving and receiving presents, it's how I was brought up anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I love buying presents but always go overboard. I just added up my spending for this year and I reckon it's going to end up being around €900 :eek: That's disgraceful. Nearly half of that will be on my OH, €100 on my mam, €60 each on my two nephews, €50 on siblings and siblings-in-law and then a few other people. I said I'd cut back this year but I get a bit carried away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

id say 50-100 will do nicely, for dad, mam, couple of cousins, my OH,and something for his family. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Thousands.:eek:

A thousand on OH.

500 on the sister,

250 on Mother

200 on Father

250 on Aunt

250 on family friend

1000 on best friend.

So 3975.

Good job its Czech Crowns and not euro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I'm glad to see there are other people that don't necessarily spend 100 euro per person!! Things are tight for me & the other 1/2.

Usually 50 - 60 on each other but we just got a loan out for a massive telly & a laptop so we might just make that the pressie & then get a little surprise! We're usually the last people we thing about for pressies, terrible.

60-70 on each in-law, 60-70 on our kris kindles with hubby's siblings & partners, 30 on my siblings & their other halves. 20-30 on baby neices & nephews, 40 on older neices & nephews.

We get stockings for our cats filled with toys & cat treats. And ... I wrap them & present them to the cats xmas morning. I really have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mink wrote: »
    We get stockings for our cats filled with toys & cat treats. And ... I wrap them & present them to the cats xmas morning. I really have a problem

:eek::eek::eek:

Is this you?

simpsons_CrazyCatLady.gif

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

We're going on a hollier in Feb and so thats our present to each other
    Family wise its usually €30-€50 for each person, we're trying to keep the cost down as it's been a tough year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

15 each for my parents, maybe 30-40 for my GF. Don't have much to give, being a student :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Being a jobless student, I've informed most of my friends that I'll just be baking them brownies for christmas (I make amazing brownies).
    Then €10 on my mum, dad, brother, and my parent's OH's. Also spending €40 on my BF.
    So about €90 all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

One million Euro............ image.php?u=268740&dateline=1188189891

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

myself and my OH are going on holiday up to christmas eve so that's our present for each other, we have set a limit of 20e for something to open on christmas morning...
    i spend about 60e on my mum, 25 each on my two brothers and then 15-20 on extended family (only the three we see at christmas).
    i then have my mother in law, aunt in law, brothers in law x 2, sister in law and niece, father in law too, prob about 15 on each of these, might be less.. he pays a bit more for their presents as i pay more for my familys than he does..

this year we have the added expense of checking the cat into boarding while we are away - 100euro, not fun.

also, my brother and his wife and child are home from the middle east for a few days this week so while we wouldn't usually buy for them i will this year... eek!

i make chocolates and christmas decs for friends and as part of familys gifts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Way too much! I love buying presents though, I reckon I'm going to break 1000 but I'm single so no other half to buy for this year! It's mainly my immediate family that I splash out on! It's only once a year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Bunny_Ears wrote: »
    Exactly! You're absolutely right!
    Hehe, well, I'm making so many presents myself. I've started doing them in September and by now I have no idea how much do all the materials and stuff cost. And adding the time and all the love I'm giving in... I don't even know but I guess all together it's also quite a lot.

I'm curious about your idea of making gifts Bunny_Ears, what kind of things are you making? I'm a broke student so money for gifts is tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I normally only ever buy something for my younger sister these days and I spend about 30 - 50 euro on her. Granted this year, I'm going to spend about 60 - 70 Euro as I'm getting her a mirror for her room.

I'm a jobless student so I don't exactly have the means to splash out. Its something I might do once I have a job and money coming in.

Advertisement