Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last of the Scrooge Budgets, he says......

Options
  • 09-12-2009 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

So the IMF wont be coming no matter what, and this is the last of the scrooge budgets according to Lenihan himself......

Sure....what are we all so worried about.....

Everything will be juussttt ffinneee......................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The IMF don't come in.

The Government has to ask them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

The IMF don't want to come near us and wouldn't profit from doing so. They have said so on multiple occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Liam79 wrote: »
    So the IMF wont be coming no matter what, and this is the last first of the scrooge budgets according to Lenihan himself......

Sure....what are we all so worried about.....

Everything will be juussttt ffinneee......................

fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I don't think Europe would allow Ireland call in the IMF either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ronando

Last?!
    Clearly he hasn't seen any graph of receipts versus expenditure for the Government. Check out the impact of today's Budget:

budget-2010.png

That's from:
    http://www.ronanlyons.com/2009/12/09/five-things-to-remember-when-judging-budget-2010/

Depressed? Well, what if I told you that the increase in the green line is not due to the tax take going up and the fall in the red line is only because we don't have buy Anglo again this year, spending is going to increase?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Don't believe a word out of Lennys mouth.

He said he was 'not for turning' on the medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

last? er i very much doubt that, its onlt the begining, in fact next year ill youtube myself eating my own hair and post it here if there arent large tax increases next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If this budget was "harsh" enough it would be the last one that would have to be, instead it's going to be fudged, just like the next 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Yeah he said the same thing last year... I hope Eamonn Gilmore reduces Lenihan & Cowen to tears today, he seems to be the only guy in there who says it like it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

probably just rename it to something else have have another whip around in September, I don't believe a word out of any mouth from Leinster house and never will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Yeah he said the same thing last year... I hope Eamonn Gilmore reduces Lenihan & Cowen to tears today, he seems to be the only guy in there who says it like it is..

when did he do that, must have missed that (i think no cuts was his mantra)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

This was not harsh budget unless you are on SW or a Public Servant.
    96% of the workforce work in the private sector and no changes were made to their tax rates.

Usually a harsh budget attacks all sectors of society like the budgets introduced by Mac the Knife in the late 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It is way too early for anyone to say that this is the toughest budget and the next will be easier. There is a lot that can go wrong still especially with the muppets in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

so now that we've gotten it over with (well kinda) surely our anger should be directed towards getting them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

so now that we've gotten it over with (well kinda) surely our anger should be directed towards getting them out?
    Not really. They broke it, now they can fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

RGS wrote: »
    This was not harsh budget unless you are on SW or a Public Servant.
    96% of the workforce work in the private sector and no changes were made to their tax rates.

Usually a harsh budget attacks all sectors of society like the budgets introduced by Mac the Knife in the late 80's.

It was a stroll in the park from the private sector and when the water rates, property taxes and other taxes come in next year the public sector workers will be paying all these also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

EF wrote: »
    It was a stroll in the park from the private sector and when the water rates, property taxes and other taxes come in next year the public sector workers will be paying all these also.

The private sector didn't spend over 20 billion it didn't have this year.

Not really. They broke it, now they can fix it.

Exactly. Then vote them out.

TBH they are going to serve their term at this stage. The Green party are not going anywhere because they know they are in a terminal decline if there is an election soon. The "independents" have had their begging caps filled and have fulfilled their gombeen politics for another year so they are happy.

So we will have to wait until 2012.

Stroll in park, say that to the extra 300,000 who have lost jobs in the last 18 months!!!! Say that to people like me who have had a substantial decline in their take home pay in the last two years.

Talk about selective hearing and vision!

The wage bill was too high and not covered by the taxes being taken in. The Government have addressed this. I do empathise with the lower paid in the PS because I believe they shouldn't have had a pay cut but I am not the Government.

gandalf wrote: »
    Stroll in park, say that to the extra 300,000 who have lost jobs in the last 18 months!!!! Say that to people like me who have had a substantial decline in their take home pay in the last two years.

Talk about selective hearing and vision!

The wage bill was too high and not covered by the taxes being taken in. The Government have addressed this. I do empathise with the lower paid in the PS because I believe they shouldn't have had a pay cut but I am not the Government.

All I said was the budget was a stroll in the park for the private sector, I am well aware of what went before the budget, Im specifically talking about the budget. I expect the Unions will achieve a re-jigging of the cuts like they did for the pension levy. Otherwise they will be better off joining the rest of those who lost their jobs.

• Advertisement

All I said was the budget was a stroll in the park for the private sector, I am well aware of what went before the budget, Im specifically talking about the budget. I expect the Unions will achieve a re-jigging of the cuts like they did for the pension levy. Otherwise they will be better off joining the rest of those who lost their jobs.

So what, do you want us to hurt more than we have already.

As for you last remark, I know people who have lost their jobs and believe me you do not want to experience what they are going through to survive. I am lucky I have stayed employed this year by making a couple of moves but I am extremely nervous about next year.

gandalf wrote: »
    So what, do you want us to hurt more than we have already.

As for you last remark, I know people who have lost their jobs and believe me you do not want to experience what they are going through to survive. I am lucky I have stayed employed this year by making a couple of moves but I am extremely nervous about next year.

No I wouldnt wish economcis misery upon anyone but this budget was being sold as the toughest in living memory and yet it was targetted at those on social welfare and the public sector and no one else. I know plenty who have lost jobs also and I would hope that more jobs are not lost but I cannot see how more jobs wont be lost

thebman wrote: »
    The private sector didn't spend over 20 billion it didn't have this year.

What is NAMA for so? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

What is NAMA for so? :confused:

Banks which are a small part of the private sector not the whole thing.

The private sector isn't an entity. Some people on here should get that as a tattoo so they can look at it and remind themselves before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

This debate is about the Budget and that was stated today by Lenihan--He claimed it was the toughest budget ever delivered-it was not.

Those who lost their jobs are losing their benefits yet those in employment are not paying anything extra in taxation. Surely abolishing the PRSI ceiling would have brought it significent income.

Advertisement