Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenario for a lucky worker, no debts

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1209/breaking4.htm

Just wondering if you were a private sector worker on 30k, lived beside your job(rent 1 room in house next door), dont drink, dont smoke, no kids, no loans, what implication would the current budget have, roughly how much money would you suggest this person would be down? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I doubt he'll announce a "GET A LIFE" grant but you're lucky worker needs one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Doubt you'll be impacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

increased heating bill (unless your on gas?)

and i wouldnt call such a person "lucky" a better word would be "sensible" something that was sorely missing in last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

ssaye wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1209/breaking4.htm

Just wondering if you were a private sector worker on 30k, lived beside your job(rent 1 room in house next door), dont drink, dont smoke, no kids, no loans, what implication would the current budget have, roughly how much money would you suggest this person would be down? Thanks

They are likely to be left untouched apart from a small increase in their heating bills I imagine. Not much pain to be suffered there. They can even go out for a few drinks from now on on the cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

Thanks for replies, I wish I was this mythical person. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I would ask how much will this person be up in the big picture (providing they keep their job of course)? falling property prices, falling cost of living, falling car prices! This person will be in great shape for the next 5/10 years and fair play to them. Your "mythical" friend might want to start living a bit now they will be flush :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Ronando

Ease off lads, it's a fair question!
    The big thing to look out for is your tax credits. Ireland needs desparately to start taxing average workers like other countries do, i.e. 20% of their income, not just 4%. So expect tax-free allowances to fall.

You're on 30k, so you currently pay next to nothing in income tax, in an international perspective. Expect that to rise, maybe not today (if they choke), but certainly next Budget.

The only other thing I'd say is charges for public services may increase. So hope you stay healthy/kid-free!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm basically the guy the OP is describing.... :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I'm close enough to being that guy

Advertisement