Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TOG Hackerspace in Limerick/Cork/Galway (C/C++ embedded)

Options
  • 09-12-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,
    I have read about TOG in Dublin, and I like that idea to meet people and work on some common project - programming, electronics,...

Do you know about anything similar outside Dublin?

Or are there any people outside Dublin who wants to do such things?

Jiri

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I think this has all been discussed before.

I think the general consensus was that outside of dublin there weren't enough people in one area to start a group.

Limerick could be a possibility.. You're best bet is to setup a webpage and some kind of form/mailing list to gather names of interested parties. Once you have enough people willing to pay and move on the idea you're set.

If you get that far people will come from all over the county. You should ask the guys in TOG how many people they aimed to have before signing lease on space.

Things might actually be easier for you now with the recession. You could possibly rent for cheaper and get away with not signing a lease.

The flipside is that people mightn't be willing to pay that much for membership.

I'm from Nenagh and would love to something set up close to home. PM me if you want any help with this like setting up a webpage etc.. -> I've a LOT of free time on my hands ATM..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Jiri

techguy wrote: »

I think the general consensus was that outside of dublin there weren't enough people in one area to start a group.

Limerick could be a possibility.. You're best bet is to setup a webpage and some kind of form/mailing list to gather names of interested parties. Once you have enough people willing to pay and move on the idea you're set.

If you get that far people will come from all over the county. You should ask the guys in TOG how many people they aimed to have before signing lease on space.

Things might actually be easier for you now with the recession. You could possibly rent for cheaper and get away with not signing a lease.

The flipside is that people mightn't be willing to pay that much for membership.

I'm from Nenagh and would love to something set up close to home. PM me if you want any help with this like setting up a webpage etc.. -> I've a LOT of free time on my hands ATM..

Hi techguy,
    we are two - it is a group already, isn't it? :)
    What's your interest? what programming language? Any particular idea about the project?
    My the best interest is embedded electronics, microprocessor, C/C++ language and robotics.
    I've just took part in robotics group in Dublin (http://robots.ie) , but it is quite long way to travel there, so any similar group here in Limerick which will cooperate with that robotics group in Dublin would be nice.
    So my suggestion is to start develop some robot, what do you think?

Jiri

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MackPaddy

OP that is a great idea...it would be cool to have somewhere to work with like minded peeps on electronics,programming etc

My background is in mobile dev-iphone,j2me with bluetooth and rfid/nfc.Id also love to mess around more with hardware,embedded systems.

Im based in limerick,and I think id definitely have some mates interested in this too.

MackPaddy wrote: »
    OP that is a great idea...it would be cool to have somewhere to work with like minded peeps on electronics,programming etc

My background is in mobile dev-iphone,j2me with bluetooth and rfid/nfc.Id also love to mess around more with hardware,embedded systems.

Im based in limerick,and I think id definitely have some mates interested in this too.

Nice to hear from you,
    ask your mates whether they will be interested too and we can try to start
    Jiri

Hi techguy, MackPaddy, and others
    I suggest to start with robotics, because:
    there are a lot of things to do - electronics, PCB, programming.
    there are also some international competition - so it is quite a good motivation to develep some robot in time, having deadline is good sometimes...
    But I am opened to any other suggestion, do you have any idea?
    Btw. I wouldn't concerned with the place to meet now. Until we will be small group I think we can meet in the pub
    Jiri

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 tdr

Hey Jiri,
    From my experience in helping set up TOG, you should start by just meeting up don't worry about a space.
    Start by meeting up every two weeks(whatever time suits you) and keep this going even if its just yourself and your friends. Keep meeting and over time more and more people will learn of your meeting and more people will come to it.
    Aim to build a community and the rest will follow.
    If I or TOG can help in anyway let us know.
    Tdr

Cork hackerspace
    http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspace_Cork

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Would love to something like this getting off the ground in Limerick lads - just throwing my hat in the ring.

Hi guys,
    i'd like just to inform you and people who replied in this thread, that I've created Limerick Hackerspace here: http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Limerick_Hackerspace , just in planning status.
    So if anyone near Limerick is interesting in such an idea, let me know and we can start

Jiri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Hey Jiri,

Apologies for never getting back to you on this. I've been pretty busy over since christmas.

I'm not really around limerick/nenagh anymore so I don't think i'll be making an appearance.

I'd like to wish you the best of luck and if you want any help setting up a site or whatever i'd be glad to help.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tdr

Just to updated everyone on this thread.
    There are now hackerspaces in planing stage in all three of the cites mentioned .

Limerick http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Limerick_Hackerspace
    Cork http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspace_Cork
    Galway http://091labs.com/
    and also
    Ennis http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/EHS
    Belfast http://www.hackni.org/wp/?page_id=22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm in Cork and would be interested helping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm confused, guys......what's the relevance of the word "hacker" ?

Because it would put most people off.

I'd suggest explaining the concept a bit more, so that those unfamiliar with it won't think it's a bunch of scum interested in damaging websites, causing nuisances, robbing credit card and membership details and spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I'm confused, guys......what's the relevance of the word "hacker" ?

Because it would put most people off.

I'd suggest explaining the concept a bit more, so that those unfamiliar with it won't think it's a bunch of scum interested in damaging websites, causing nuisances, robbing credit card and membership details and spamming.

Its worth noting that many an internet argument has been started by a post like this, and that the meaning of the word 'hacker' is (or at least used to be) somewhat controversial in computer culture. Basically, there's a reasonable number of people who don't associate the negative things you describe, with the word 'hacker'. Some of them would go so far as to feel offended at what they see as the media or popular alteration of the meaning of the term.

I'm not taking a side here, just attempting to answer your question - personally, I'm inclined to think that over time words evolve to mean what most people think they mean - google for it for more info (one place you might look for one perspective, is here: http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html). In a nutshell, to the people naming 'hackerspaces' it probably doesn't have the same semantic connotations you note.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

techguy wrote: »

Actually rents outside Dublin are far cheaper so could be far easier to get enough people to get a space. Also may be easier to find somewhere central near parking etc.

Up here the government is still paying top dollar :mad:

Also property valuations can be based on what you can rent it for.
    An empty property with an asking price of €10,000 per year might be worth more than one being rented at €5,000 thanks to bizarre world of accounting, and a lot of people don't want to decrease the value of their assets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fergalr wrote: »
    Its worth noting that many an internet argument has been started by a post like this, and that the meaning of the word 'hacker' is (or at least used to be) somewhat controversial in computer culture.
    Not really an issue anymore. Hollywood depictions of hackers are mostly positive, the main exceptions were those employed by the state :D

Until recently you could not get a amateur radio license in this country - it was only for experimentation. It was a condition of your state supplied license to hack
    Precise particulars of the nature of the experiments it is proposed to conduct must be given. General Statements such as “improvements in efficiency” will not suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

fergalr wrote: »
    Basically, there's a reasonable number of people who don't associate the negative things you describe, with the word 'hacker'. Some of them would go so far as to feel offended at what they see as the media or popular alteration of the meaning of the term.

Oh - I'm aware of the dual-meanings, and the "hacker vs cracker" debate, as I think it was ?

I'm just saying that it might be a consideration when promoting it, or when even booking a "space", that's all.

I mean, even the phrase "hashing passwords" might sound dodgy to a letting agent.

AFAIK no landlord in the big smoke has batted an eyelid yet, it's a non-issue.

I don't think the word hacker would put off any of the target audience. And I think it's better to reclaim a word than invent new ones, but makerspace is a nice way to remind people that it's not limited to just software.

A hackerspace is whatever you want it to be.
    The space is fully funded by its members and gives members 24/7 access to work on a project or just a place to hangout.

With a hackerspace the question is not why but why not ?

Advertisement