Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perth or Sydney to live for 3 mts

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hey there I am trying to decide whether to live in either Perth or Sydney after xmas and I am having a hard time choosing which. I am veering more towards Perth as it is a smaller city and I will be travelling on my own and I think it would be easier to meet new people and make friends in a smaller city. Also I think there may be more jobs in Perth.

I have been to Sydney before and I do really like it there but I think I might find it a bit overwhelming to live there by myself as it is such a big city.

Any advice or tips would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I am in the same boat myself.

Currently sharing with two friends but I'm going solo in Jan to try and get a job. Not sure whether to go to Newcastle, Canberra, Melbourne or Perth.

I've no time limit on how long I will stay in any one place - as long as I get a job there I suppose. I'm not at all adverse to going to one of the more regional towns either.

Is there any place in particular you would be more likely to get entry level office, data entry jobs?

Sorry for jumping on your post OH, hope all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you guys need to know any specifics on Perth feel free to send me a PM. I'm here almost three years now and can answer pretty much any questions you might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

living in perth myself, class city and coast is unreal.

got a job within 2 weeks of arriving here as a quantity surveyor and from taking to a friend in a recruitment agency he said WA is the best place in OZ to look for a job.

jobs are plentyful here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Perth, if Perth had forests I'd live there

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Beachband

There are a trees a plenty down Margaret River, maybe a mini forest.

The only thing I would say about Perth that time of year is - be prepared for the heat, I mean HEAT, you would be suprised after a few days how uncomfortable it can get. Don't get me wrong - I hate the cold(its freezing here in Ireland at the mo).
    I have not been to East Oz yet, going in January by myself to Melbourne - more relaxed climate from the research I have done, more things to do.
    Friends can be hard to make anywhere, from being in Perth twice I find that they can somewhat not really bother to be your friend(unless they are an expat themselves, or have Irish blood along the track)

Perth is beautiful though, alot of open space - very warm in the summer(Ilove the heat, but its hot there)
    Sydney - never been there - not as consistently warm apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

having been in both in my early 30s, I would say Perth. If I was in my early 20s, probably Sydney. More to do in Sydney, but I really liked Perth, especially Fremantle, and down South is beautiful...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Just to jump on this....is there any likelihood that the sponsored 457 visa for teachers will be reimplemented in W. Aus anytime soon. The economy seems to have picked up there. I think Kittex is a teacher there..any info??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Hey OP why only Perth or Sydney?

Have you considered Melbourne?

Its getting to be the right time of year for weather here now. I love it down here and both my house-mates are originally from Perth but moved here because they say there is a lot more to offer here.

They say Perth is great for the beach and great outdoors but other then that not much to do and its very isolated from the rest of Australia. I’m heading there myself for Christmas as a good friend of mine from home is coming over to visit his family who are living there now and the cost of flights to get there was a pain.

Sydney I can’t comment on as I’ve not been yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kookie

Im already living in Melbourne I've been living here for about 7 tms thats why Im moving on somewhere else.

Im in my late 20's by the way. I was in Perth for two days before and I thought it was nice. Im just not sure about living in Sydney as it is such a big city and I wouldn't even know what part of it to live in.

I only have 3 mts left on my visa after xmas thats why I'll only be living there for 3 mts and I even plan on doing some more travel in the month of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

perth if u have a car. else sydney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Tonka

i lived in perth for a while back in 2004. ive visited sydney a couple of times.

Perth is paroical (SP) and nice and compact. you can easily get the bus or tram to surfable beaches.

however perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world and it doesnt attract the same big bands as say the east coast.

as someone else has mentioned sydney is not a town you really need a car in. but in Perth you can get around just as handy without a car, but if you want to do some exploring. ( and you can see some pretty neat stuff on a day trip out of perth) a car would be good as the OP is only going to be there for 3 months (most likely wouldnt buy a car )youd best get friendly with someone that has a car.

As for accomondation ive stayed in backpackers in both cities the ones in northbridge in perth are more relaxed than sydney and have few if any thiefing smackheads in them.

as in any backpackers making friends is usually simple as sharing a beer or a can of baked beans.

flying from europe into perth is usally cheaper than to sydney.

from perth it is cheaper to fly to bali than sydney.

ive developed a theory based on hitchhiking from london to lands end in england and i think it can be applied worldwide...the further away from a big city you get. the less w_nk?rs you will meet.

Sydney is bigger than Perth. if you want to meet some australians i recommend spend your time in perth. if you want to meet loads of irish and english go to Sydney.... or ibiza.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 POWER111

H i Guys

I lived in Newcastle for 6mthas and sydney for 6 mths , newcastle A lot smaller and quiter but i loved it sydney great for a month or two. im back home now a mate of mine told me that there a lot of work supposed to be coming up in melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Come to Perth!!! Ive been here just a month but its a really nice city public transport is great very easy to get around. It is a bit quite compared to other big cities, but if you with the right people you can make your own fun! Give us a PM if you decide on Perth, we can show ya around if you want

Advertisement