Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Websites

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First time poster on here and have tried the search function but couldn't really find what I was after. Heading to Prague on Friday and looks like there could be snow depending on the website you look at, thats the problem the websites tend to vary a lot. So which websites would you recommend for accurate forecasts internationally, also what would be ideal would be one that would give a good indication of how much snow could be expected.

Thanks in advance and sorry if this has been posted before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This Friday in Prague will be a cold day (by Irish Standards) with maximum temperatures of 1c, it will be a mostly cloudy day with some light snow showers. Later that night it will become very cold with minimum temperatures of -5c.

Enjoy your trip and wrap up well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Danno wrote: »
    This Friday in Prague will be a cold day (by Irish Standards) with maximum temperatures of 1c, it will be a mostly cloudy day with some light snow showers. Later that night it will become very cold with minimum temperatures of -5c.

Enjoy your trip and wrap up well!

The big question though will I get to see much snow??

Thanks for the reply by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

There's no snow on their webcams and its 43F at the moment.

http://www.earthcam.com/czechrepublic/prague/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Probably 5cm. The wind will be moderately easterly, so snow could blow round a bit on the dry pavements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I always try to look at the national met service's website of the country I'm interested in for a forecast. I don't trust most of the nwp sites as they usually only use the GFS model, which has its limitations in certain situations, leading to gross errors.

A national met service will have the benefit of human input and will therefore tend to be more reliable.

Here's the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute's site, which isn't great it has to be said (only forecast 1 day ahead)

http://www.chmi.cz/meteo/om/inform/peng.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Well been there and back and no snow in the city, couple of very light showers but didn't last long enough to make any impact! At the airport it was a different story, and was told it would be by a bar man, the city gets little snow but the airport often gets a dusting and it did. Was nice to see it too!

Thanks for the help!

Advertisement