Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice needed on selling a photo for inclusion in a book.

• 09-12-2009 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I would be grateful for any advice on this subject.

I was recently contacted by a researcher for an author who is writing a biography.

Basically they would like to use one of my images in the book.

I was wondering how much I should charge for this. What is the going rate.

The prices for royalty free images (at their highest quality) seems to be around the 500 euro mark on the likes of Getty Images.

Any advice on how much I should charge or anything else i should be aware of would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Barry

BTW, here is the image they wish to include in the book:

3933117581_d8b9ca95b4_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I would say it depends on how many he is planning to print/sell and let that factor into it.

I use to have a link that did this for you.. you put in the size of the picture being used (full page half page) whats it being used in (book paper magazine) and how many copies will be sold (500 to whatever amount)

It just generated an amount for you.. it was in dollars but it was handy enough to get an idea.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Cant help you or see the pix on this pc, but i remember someone asking the same question before and he also posted it here and someone told him to take it down cos you have just posted on a public site and they could just rob it !! could be wrong, but dont want to see you been ripped off in case its true !!

good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Whatever price you come up with Barry, treble it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

If you go onto Alamy.com and pick an image, there is a price calculator which lets you pick where the image will be used, for what purpose, for how long etc and then calculates a price. It might help you decide

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭hcnyla

I have a similar issue. I have been asked to provide a client with 10-15 images for use in a brochure that will be distributed around Ireland to their clients. I haven't spoken to them in detail about it yet but I have no idea what to charge but I've been told various figures from €1K to €5K depending on usage.

It's my first proper paying job. I have been doing this part time for a few years (weddings and other small commercial stuff for one man band operations, cash in hand kinda things) but this is the first time I have had a contract with a very large international company so I don't want to undersell myself. I have to take into account equipment, tax, overheads, other expenses etc. as it won't be a do it in a few hours job. BUR has been mentioned to me as well but it's very complicated. Whats a man to do??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I would also advise going onto Alamy and Getty to get a rough ball park figure. If I were you, I would have a frank exchange with publisher, and see what budget they have for images.
    Factors to remember include where the book with be sold. Ireland, UK, Worldwide? Also how many copies will be in the print run, 5k? 10K? 100,000k? All these will give you a clearer idea of how much to charge?
    Also try post on a few forums that deal specifically with stock images.
    Best of luck and well done..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Thanks for the information everybody. Alamy is a particularly useful website as it allows you to enter all the details of publication and then gives you a price.

I rang the person this morning and started the negotiations while trying to sound like I knowew what I was talking about :D. She will get back to me after talking to the author.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks again everyone for the great advice.

Advertisement