Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passed the NCT this morning! + quick review of the experience :P

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey all! This is the first time I've put a car through the NCT so I thought I'd post my experience with it (common questions etc). I drive a '96 VW Golf, nothing fancy but it's a solid car ^-^

How long are the wait times down to now?
    1 week :D (for Ballymun 2 centre anyway) When I booked in June the wait times were 5 months O_o ... they had problems due to some 'new law' that was causing backlogs. Anway I missed my retest and needed to book a whole new test this month.. and it took 7 days to get me in. Fabbo

I know my test date, but I don't have any documents... will they allow my car to be tested on the day?
    YES! (from what I found). I rocked up with just my laser card and she was happy to just confirm my details via the computer and have me pay. I didn't need no NCT booking letter, no car reg book/cert/licensing cert... just payment :P

What are the NCT testers like?
    Really nice guys I found! Very polite and professional. They're from all over, German/Irish/South African

How long does the whole the test take?
    After you speak to the receptionist, you should be getting the results in about 30mins

That's it! Big thanks to a random guy at the centre for helping me out with a brake bulb problem after he overheard that I could possibly be failing because of it. We changed it in the parking lot and the tester was happy and passed my car. Don't know if you read boards.ie... but cheers mate you're awesome XD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Glad you passed, always nice getting the NCT cert first time.
    Bein thru the test quite a few times with different cars, have
    found the service to be getting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ballymun is excellent. Very nice guys up there, couldnt have been anymore helpful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Yeah I did mine 2 months back, booked in May but it took 5 months to get in the door.. same as yourself, very quick and efficient. I went in on a Sunday morning.

Guy at the desk was sound, in good form too cracking jokes and chatty.

In and out in 20 mins , the guy told me the car had no issues but I would need 2 new front tyres in about 1-2 thousand miles as they are coming near their sell by date but I had new tyres lined up anyway..

All in all a pleasant experience especially all I had to do was wash the car to pass :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

I'm back for a retest tonight at 10pm so they must be working late to get the times down.Only asked for a retest four days ago ,so they are working on getting waiting times down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I had my own car in for the NCT last week and it failed on emission. They were all out by a good bit, through in an 8 euro bottle of STP Pre NCT and had the retest four days later. They were all well well under, couldn't believe the difference it made to them...

Mind you, that was after a four month wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Limerick man: Was your engine cold when it failed on emissions? Temperature can make a big difference.

Limerick man: Was your engine cold when it failed on emissions? Temperature can make a big difference.

Lol, I'd be in and out the dual carrage way a few times beforehand the first time ;)... Although it was sitting for 20 odd mins before it went it. I hadn't left it idle at all though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have my nct monday, do they look for the logbook?

R_H_C_P wrote: »

It's on the list, but no, they don't. Bring it just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

R_H_C_P wrote: »

all they look for is €50 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bookerboy

Just passed the emissions this evening.Its a diesel engine.I put €5 petrol into it yesterday and drove the last couple of miles to the test centre in second gear to clear all the crap.
    Passed no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

not sure if this is a stupid question, but do I need a working speedo to pass the NCT? (i.e. would it be noticed??)

my 10 yo car is due an nct in Jan, and the speedo stopped working last week; crappy timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

sk8board wrote: »
    not sure if this is a stupid question, but do I need a working speedo to pass the NCT? (i.e. would it be noticed??)

my 10 yo car is due an nct in Jan, and the speedo stopped working last week; crappy timing.

Id say its a fairly importent aspect of what they check for to be honest.
    Not sure, but logicilly I would think its checked....(during the brake/handbrake test)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

bookerboy wrote: »
    Just passed the emissions this evening.Its a diesel engine.I put €5 petrol into it yesterday and drove the last couple of miles to the test centre in second gear to clear all the crap.
    Passed no prob.
    a 2 litre can of new vegetable oil to 40 of diesel does the same trick
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

argosy2006 wrote: »
    a 2 litre can of new vegetable oil to 40 of diesel does the same trick
    :D

Do these tricks REALLY work?
    I have a 00 focus, 1.8 Tdi. Due for test in March, last time the mechanic said it barely passed the emissions test so I assume after two years it'll have gotten slightly worse.

It's part of the test, whether it will be noticed is another thing.

Reasons for failure:

Speedometer
    • Missing or not working.
    • Cannot be seen from driver’s seat.
    Lighting of Speedometer
    • Not working.

what if my speedo is currently my Sat Nav, which won't work when standing still on the rolling road?! Is that clutching at straws just a wee bit. I have a feeling the problem is with wiring and not the ECU, so could be expensive versus the value of the car if I'm trading it in

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If they notice your speedo not working, you definitely won't get away with claiming your satnav is the replacement! Made me laugh, though. :D

Not your ornery onager

what if my speedo is currently my Sat Nav, which won't work when standing still on the rolling road?! Is that clutching at straws just a wee bit. I have a feeling the problem is with wiring and not the ECU, so could be expensive versus the value of the car if I'm trading it in
    Is it even an electronic speedometer? It could just be cable operated, which wouldn't be too complicated to sort out. If you yell us what car it is someone may know...

Is it even an electronic speedometer? It could just be cable operated, which wouldn't be too complicated to sort out. If you yell us what car it is someone may know...

this morning I checked it in with a local fella to put it on diagnostics early next week. Lets see what that turns up.

Its a '00 megane; the speedo works off the ABS, so if it was wiring failure between the ECU and the dashboard it would be usually accompanied by various other warning lights too and ECU failure is accompanied by the ABS light, neither of which I have, its just a dead speedo, so it needs a little more thought.

googled it last week and its a common problem with '00 scenic's, meganes etc.

other than the speedo, the car is in pmo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement