Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Donegal's Greatest Person?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TheCandystripes

nobody you people suck. enya is good i think tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Get the scissors out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

nobody you people suck. enya is good i think tho

Just back from the pub I see. You have a good night??

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Shay Given, shurely?

How are you going to tie this up, Muffty?
    post a list of the ten-most-mentioned and then do a poll? (bit like BBC Sports personality?)

I Wonder if Shay will figure there, now Tiger is out of the running as overseas personality? I think Sue Barker likes him, so I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Here's the list so far-

John Toland - philosopher and freethinker
    Daniel O'Donnell - singer
    Isaac Butt - politician
    Gerry Robinson - businessman
    Rory Gallagher - musician
    St Colmcille - erm... saint
    John Doherty - musician
    Maude Jane Delap - marine biologist
    Packie Bonner - footballer
    Anthony Molloy - gaelic footballer
    Paddy Harte - politician
    Sean McGinley - actor
    Shay Given - footballer
    Daniel Doherty (no link) - Tug of war world champion
    Dave Gallaher - rugby player
    Moya Brennan - singer
    Enya - singer
    Ray McAnally - actor
    Aodh Rua Ó Domhnaill - erm... king

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ah guys we forgot about Danny. Ye remember him? You know the guy who was the fisherman. He hung round with a few local lads and your man from Co. Down. Crawled over the beach down by St. Johns Point one stormy night. Jeez he was a big guy. Never found out What the bundle was he carried. I think he's the guy we should vote for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Fergus Cleary. A living day saint. The world needs more self-less, charitable people like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Suppose Dave Gallaher, born in Ramelton, first man to captain the All- Blacks would deserve a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Definitely Dave Gallagher. All Blacks Forever!

Red Hugh O'Donnell if we are going waaaaaaaaaaay back in time. Last king of Tir Connaill

There's good ole Bridie Gallagher.

Plus Neil McBride (can't spell it in Irish) poet who I do believe was imprisoned for having his name in Irish on his cart!! Going back in time a bit there too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Macroom Man

Frank McBrearty who brought about more reforms to An Garda Siochana since it was founded than anyone else.

Patrick McGill, the navvy poet, sure they even have a monsson season school named after him in Glenties.

Spose Field Marshall Montgomery is out of question? (seemingly not a nice person, anyways, but he is famous)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Fergus Cleary. A living day saint. The world needs more self-less, charitable people like him.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deadinterest

Slightly off topic, but I heard on today fm one orning that the singer Prince has family ties to Glenties, think going back to his great grand father. Anyone else hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Got to be Enya , she's a unique Talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭millyvanilli

What about Roy Mc Nulty (Sir ) from Raphoe hasn't he now got something to do with the London Olympics ..might get us all tickets:D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭LoanShark

What about Pat 'Nora' Gallagher.? for all the work he did in the past for the Mary From Dungloe..

I'm still voting for Shay Given. He must have recorded the fastest 100metre dash in Irish history when he ran to the ref after the Hand of Henry goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 donegaldaniel

for donegals greatest, we need look no further than Dave Gallaher. Rameltons finest was the founding father of New Zealand rugby and their first and most famous captain. still held in the highest esteem, he is regarded as the finest 'all black' of all time - the greatest leader of the greatest rugby nation ever.
    Apart from his prowess as a rugby player and leader of men, he was a highly decorated war hero in the Boer War and in the great war of 1914-18. He died in 1917 in Belgium - a piece of shrapnel hitting him on the head.

Advertisement