Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kongo vs Mir

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tones69 wrote: »
    Pretty much what i expected, people love to hate Mir for some reason

That's because he always comes across as an unbelievably cocky arrogant asshole. That said I don't mind that as he is very entertaining in building up fights.

Still don't think he will beat Lesner but you never know what kind of condition Lesnar will come back in. He may never the same again so certainly Mir could do it. He's going to have to fight someone else though before any thoughts on fighting Lesnar again. Brock may not be back until next Summer or even late next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I gotta give mir his dues. That was an awesome display. Hes still a cocky *******, but i gotta give him props for that performance.

I would like to see mir v nog 2 for his next fight. Scrap cain v nog, and just have mir v nog as a 5 rounder for d interim belt.

The winner to fight brock obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Yeah I'd like to see him versus either

Cain
    Shane
    Nog 2
    Brock 3

or Fedor

He is a cocky chap but has serious skills. Just looks lazy sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Fedor would still destroy him, regardless if he landed the same shot as he hit Kongo with, Fedor is in a whole different league then the UFC heavyweight division.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

All I can say is "Big Thumbs up" for Mir.

That was phenomenal.

He shut everyone up, including me :eek:

He nearly took Kongos head off then sunk that guillotine in so deep & fast that Kongo didn't even get a chance to tap. Either it was too fast or Kongo was too proud.

A pity we didn't get to see more of Mir but every time I see him his striking gets better.

There's a good chance Lesnar will never be back by the way. Even if he is back I reckon we're talking minimum a year!

They will need to vacate the belt if it's going to be that long. They did it to Mir after his motorbike accident when he couldn't fight Arlovski after a year!!

• Advertisement

I wouldnt be surprised if lenars condition isnt nowhere near as bad as dana is making out. Its not like dana is known to exagerate a bit sometimes.

We'll probably see Brock back sometime in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I wouldnt be surprised if lenars condition isnt nowhere near as bad as dana is making out. Its not like dana is known to exagerate a bit sometimes.

Dana has said that he expects Brock to be back for July.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Guys,
    I am a casual fan of Mir, rates his skills, knowledge of the sport etc.
    How can we say it was a great performance - 1 punch and choke?
    Doesn't really tell us much about either fighter.

Personally I dont like to see these big fights end so fast as it's hard to judge how individual fighters have developed from their last fight.
    Look at BJ Penn/GSP etc - these guys get better every fight.
    Sure big knockouts are great but could you imagine a champ that floored all opponents with the first 1 or 2 shots - it would get boring very quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Guys,

Personally I dont like to see these big fights end so fast as it's hard to judge how individual fighters have developed from their last fight.
    Look at BJ Penn/GSP etc - these guys get better every fight.
    Sure big knockouts are great but could you imagine a champ that floored all opponents with the first 1 or 2 shots - it would get boring very quick.

It could be argued that Kongo should have defended and escaped the choke or had a stronger chin, hardly Mir's fault :confused: Not a Mir fan by the way.

But i take your point, I also like a back and forth war.

Hmmm.. There was a guy in boxing like that in the late 80s/early 90s..I do believe he proved to be quite popular!

• Advertisement

Fedor. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

barochoc wrote: »

There's a good chance Lesnar will never be back by the way. Even if he is back I reckon we're talking minimum a year!

They will need to vacate the belt if it's going to be that long. They did it to Mir after his motorbike accident when he couldn't fight Arlovski after a year!!
    They said it'll be 6 months out of training.

Guys,
    Nobody said it was a great fight.
    They said Mir looked impressive.

He has cut fat and put on muscle. He is now over 265. Impressive.
    He quickly dropped Kongo, one of the best HW strikers. Impressive.
    He locked in a modified guillotine and made it look easy. Impressive.

He is no.3 in the world. And has proven he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

impressive also considering kongo had supposedly spent months
    working on his non existent ground game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Anyone who thinks Mir would not give Fedor a fight is badly mistaken.

Though my money would be on Fedor, I don't think he would get it all his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

callaway92 wrote: »

I thought it was his trainers who gave a 6 month timetable. Dana has just given cryptic clues about possible surgery etc. He said in the press conference after 107 that it was still unconfirmed whether Brock would need further surgery and if he did it could still be career ending.

I have to agree that Dana will make it look as bad as possible, just so they can hype the big miraculous medical comeback, defying all odds, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

mailburner wrote: »
    impressive also considering kongo had supposedly spent months
    working on his non existent ground game
    Hmmm, I remember hearing that before the Velasquez fight too...

Well all I can say is, if his condition was as bad as described with having "Diverticulitis & Diverticulosis with Mono on the side too" there's no way he will be back by July.

What it will prove is either Dana is talking out of his poop shute (which he does a lot anyway) or that Brock was misdiagnosed & had appendicitis or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

barochoc wrote: »
    Well all I can say is, if his condition was as bad as described with having "Diverticulitis & Diverticulosis with Mono on the side too" there's no way he will be back by July.

What it will prove is either Dana is talking out of his poop shute (which he does a lot anyway) or that Brock was misdiagnosed & had appendicitis or something similar.

We can only speculate how accurate it is as the only people that know for sure are Brock and his doctor.

From my reading Diverticulitis (or Diverticulosis) isn't that severe.
    The problem with brock was the colonic tear that caused fecal matter to seep into his abdomen, causing mono. He has hard surgery and its just a case of rest now. It wasn't Dana that said he's be 6 months, it was his trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

callaway92 wrote: »

He said at the press conference that they won't know for a few more weeks whether or not Lesnar needs surgery. If he does he's going to be out for quite a while. Personally I think next Summer is pretty optimistic. Towards the end of 2010 is more likely IMO.

It's quite a serious illness to come back from. Let alone having to get back into good enough shape to allow you to train hard every day and then get into good enough shape for a fight. Mono itself can take months to recover fully from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Whenever his condition is talked about even after the Diverticulitis diagnosis articles always say "and other issues." So who knows.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    We can only speculate how accurate it is as the only people that know for sure are Brock and his doctor.

From my reading Diverticulitis (or Diverticulosis) isn't that severe.
    The problem with brock was the colonic tear that caused fecal matter to seep into his abdomen, causing mono. He has hard surgery and its just a case of rest now. It wasn't Dana that said he's be 6 months, it was his trainer.

Well I speak from experience & if it's half as bad as they make out I'd be surprised if he makes any return in 2010.

My father had the same condition & had part of his intestine & colon removed. It destroys your immune system & is almost impossible to make a 100% recovery from.

Now Brock being a bit of a freak & a natural athlete should help speed recovery up. I'm skeptical about the seriousness of the injury if he's back by the summer as I think it's partially a stunt by Dana to make it look like Brock is a super hero & he's making a miraculous recovery.

I think that may have been mentioned in here already so sorry to whom ever it was ;)

Either way, I hope he's back because I can't wait for Mir v Lesnar 3. Up to last weekend I never wanted to see it again but Mir looks phenomenal now & will possibly be bigger next time. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Mellor wrote: »
    The problem with brock was the colonic tear that caused fecal matter to seep into his abdomen, causing mono.

How can that happen? Like is it an injury or just unlucky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

How can that happen? L

...so many possible jokes.... ....trying so hard to resist......
    :D

Wacker wrote: »
    ...so many possible jokes.... ....trying so hard to resist......
    :D

lmao :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

thats just bad :D
    which reminds me im on season 5 of oz

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Jason Mc wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks Mir would not give Fedor a fight is badly mistaken.

Though my money would be on Fedor, I don't think he would get it all his own way.

Thats the thing with Fedor not all his fights go soley his way, he can look like he is in real danger of being stopped or finished and then comes back with a knockout shot or amazing submission and its game over.

The-Game wrote: »
    Thats the thing with Fedor not all his fights go soley his way, he can look like he is in real danger of being stopped or finished and then comes back with a knockout shot or amazing submission and its game over.

For sure. Thats one of the reasons he is so exciting to watch.

Advertisement