Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus Alloy Key

• 09-12-2009 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Can anyone give me advise on this?

I cannot find the key for my alloy for my 2004 Ford Focus. How can I take the wheel off without this? Is it easy to get a replacement?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,702 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Depuy lady wrote: »
    Can anyone give me advise on this?

I cannot find the key for my alloy for my 2004 Ford Focus. How can I take the wheel off without this? Is it easy to get a replacement?

Thanks!

Try calling your local Ford Dealer with the chassis number and see if they can find the corresponding lock nut key.

It's unlikely though unless the car is fairly new, could have been changed at any point in it's life.

Easiest thing is to have the locking nuts chiselled off and replaced with standard nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ford only use 6 different keys (with different colours) on the Focus lock nuts, your local dealer will probably have all 6 in stock.

Finlays in Newbridge helped me out on this a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭rugalo

depending on which type of lock nut it is there's a lot more than 6 keys, anyway if your around the rathfarnham area during the day give me a shout and i can help you out but if you want new lock nuts they cost about €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Did you try your glove compartment or boot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ford only use 6 different keys (with different colours) on the Focus lock nuts, your local dealer will probably have all 6 in stock.

Finlays in Newbridge helped me out on this a few years back.
    Pffft, I worked in Ford last Summer, 4 boxes of 30 keys each, all different, and another box of 30 for just the S-Max.

• Advertisement

for the old model Focus, if they're factory fitted there's only 6 types.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

colm_mcm wrote: »
    for the old model Focus, if they're factory fitted there's only 6 types.
    Still, you get my point :P

I get your point, but I also remember calling into the dealer and having the stud off 5 minutes later.
    It would be foolish for the OP not to try this route first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

IF you can't find a nut key, bring it to a mechanic who can weld on a normal nut on it and remove it that way. Try the other things first though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Have just been through this twice in the last week, on a 05 Focus (old shape) and a 06 Focus.

Local Ford garage took off 3 studs off the 06 for us, before damaging their key. We got the last one off by putting a bit of weld on the end of it and then turning with hammer and chisel. We used tools designed for removing damaged nuts/bolts to remove the ones on the 05 - tools bite into stud more and more as you turn counter-clockwise.

Set of new locking nuts 33.05 plus vat from Ford this morning, part number 1118205. They tell me that the non-locking nuts are 9 euro each. Ordinary nuts for steel wheels will not work properly - different design where it grips the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

what does the nut key look like?

do u just put it on each nut while u loosen them?

like this:

mcwhloandlug.jpg

The ford one comes in a plastic bag with a coloured sticker indicating which code adaptor nut comes with the car.

thanks..i don't think i have one of them....how do i know my alloy nuts are the locked type other than the fact that i can't loosen my nuts? is there a mark on the alloys to suggest they're this type or are all alloys like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

One nut on each wheel will be different from the others. This is the lock nut.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    One nut on each wheel will be different from the others. This is the lock nut.

my nuts all look the same...does this mean they're not locked?
    can't loosen them tho
    ta.

my nuts all look the same...does this mean they're not locked?
    can't loosen them tho
    ta.

false alarm...them were some tight nuts :D

Advertisement