Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget thoughts

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Labour leader Eamon Gilmore said a near deal with public sector unions on €1.3bn of the cutbacks was purposely scuppered last week as part of a behind-the-scenes plot against Mr Cowen.

“The bottom line, Taoiseach, is that you have a Minister for Finance who is now so anxious to get his hands on your job that he was prepared to sink this agreement,” he said.

In an outburst that drew breaths in the Dáil, the Labour leader accused Mr Lenihan of lacking political loyalty, claiming he had dispatched allies onto the airwaves to jettison the chances of deal once it looked likely.

“It was stupid and it was short-sighted... it is something that I believe we will all regret next year,” Mr Gilmore added.

The Labour leader said a deal was within touching distance that would have made the savings needed, reformed the public sector and secured industrial peace.
    If Gilmore's claims are correct then I applaud Lenihan for sinking the agreement. It was just a farcical agreement anyway, and sure if it went through, Gilmore would be saying exactly that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lenihan as our new Prime Minister very soon. Some journalist did an article a few weeks ago claiming Lenihan was plotting this very thing. There's no smoke without fire!

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny claimed that half of the required savings for the crisis Budget – €2bn – could be found if social welfare fraud was properly tackled.

“In a draconian Budget, because of Government incompetence, you are going to take away money from people who need it,” he said.

Another Prime Time Investigates fan. Pre-budget day and this is the best our next Taoiseach can come up with.

Advertisement