Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop motion video

• 09-12-2009 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this isn't the right place to post it, and secondly apologies if there are rules about posting commercial stuff. Please remove if so, though I'm honestly looking for C&C rather than trying to flog paint!

Anyway, I thought some of you might be interested in a work project we did recently. It was an idea we did for a client on a shoestring, using 3,000+ paint chips, a few SLRs (my D2x and D40, a Canon somethingorother, plus the built in camera on a MacBook Pro), and we stitched the video together using (predominately) After Effects.

It was my first time doing anything like this, pretty pleased with the results, though annoyed at the wonky tripod seen from one of the angles, plus the lighting could have been better. C&C appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Oooo I love it! But then I'm a sucker for all things Time-Lapse (its time lapse by the way - not stop motion - stop motion is when you animate something using the same-ish technique).

I kind of like the jerky bit in the middle - gives it authenticity. But then again I could just be being nice :D

I'd have been tempted to leave the camera in the one spot rather than different scenes? That's just a personal preference though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sineadw wrote: »
    I kind of like the jerky bit in the middle - gives it authenticity. But then again I could just be being nice :D

+1

I thought it made it look like it was made by real people and not a giant production company - which I suppose is the desired effect.

Really enjoyed it but as sinead said, I'm a sucker for time lapse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

sineadw wrote: »
    Oooo I love it! But then I'm a sucker for all things Time-Lapse (its time lapse by the way - not stop motion - stop motion is when you animate something using the same-ish technique).

I'd have been tempted to leave the camera in the one spot rather than different scenes? That's just a personal preference though.

There were a few cameras, each at different angles. We had thought originally of just making the time-lapse (every day's a schoolday!) video from the main camera pointed straight on at Ms Lisa, but it actually looked a bit fake when you played it back - almost as if it was created on a computer.

+1

I thought it made it look like it was made by real people and not a giant production company - which I suppose is the desired effect.

Really enjoyed it but as sinead said, I'm a sucker for time lapse :D

Again, thanks.

It was very much a DIY thing - while we all work for an ad agency, none of us are profession photographers or video, erm, guys, and it was done in our own time too. It cost virtually nothing to produce too - all the gear was our own (or in the case of the lights, borrowed), the only cost really was the print of the boards / chips, plus a few sambos for the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Love it! What are "paint chips"?

Big fan of time lapse here too! Saw this excellent one on BBC's program "Life" recently... 500x time lapse of star fish in the arctic under the ice. They have special time-lapse camera that take the regular-interval photos as well as pan slowly through the shot!

EDIT: BBC not allowing it to be embeded, so watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG17TsgV_qI&hd=1
    (Full-screen view it, it's HD so great quality!)

• Advertisement

foto joe wrote: »
    Love it! What are "paint chips"?

Big fan of time lapse here too! Saw this excellent one on BBC's program "Life" recently... 500x time lapse of star fish in the arctic under the ice. They have special time-lapse camera that take the regular-interval photos as well as pan slowly through the shot!

EDIT: BBC not allowing it to be embeded, so watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG17TsgV_qI&hd=1
    (Full-screen view it, it's HD so great quality!)

Little 3" square bits of card in the colour of the paint, with the paint's name printed on. There's a 'making of' Flickr set which will give you a better idea.

That star fish thing is incredible - really hypnotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ah ok, a colour sample card. I hadn't heard the term "paint chip" before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

What's the music you used on that?

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    What's the music you used on that?

It's Bach - Suite for Solo Cello No1.

We got it off one of those copyright free sites but YouTube reckons it's the Yo Yo Ma version, which is why you get the iTunes ad every time it plays. For the same reason, it's not available to view in Germany. Poor Germany. ;)

Advertisement