Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Understanding the Quality of an AVI File

• 09-12-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Ok,

I have 3 avi. files on my computer which I plan to burn to discs.

How do I know how good the quality of the AVI file is from the below data:

Thanks in advance

AVI File (1) -

Size - 700 MB

Width - 416 Pixels
    Height - 304 Pixels

Audio

Duration - 01:43:02
    Bit Rate - 116kbps
    Audio Format - MPEG Layer-3

Video

Frame Rate - 25 frames/second
    Data Rate - 928 kbps

AVI File (2)

Size - 701 MB

Width - 560 Pixels
    Height - 240 Pixels

Audio

Duration - 01:35:39
    Bit Rate - 128kbps
    Audio Format - MPEG Layer-3

Video

Data Rate - 1001 kbps

AVI File (3)

Size - 1.37 GB

Width - 720 Pixels
    Height - 384 Pixels

Audio

Duration - 02:05:24
    Bit Rate - 448kbps
    Audio Format - Blank

Video

Data Rate - 1528 kbps

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

You don't. You'll have too look at the video.

I could record a crappy mobile phone video, and re-encode it with a really high bit rate & lossless format, and the file size and bit rate would be huge, but it would still look crap.

Generally though, if you know what the video is, and know what it should look like, a high bitrate (data rate) for the same resolution should be a better quality video - but then you have to know what codec was used to encode it also, h.264, divX etc

For a start, your 3 AVI's are at different resolutions, so they could be cropped / stretched / squashed.

You haven't stated what codec they're encoded with, or do you know what the quality of the original video is like.

So, as I said, the best thing to do is look at all 3 (I'm assuming they're the same video?) and decide for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Looking at the filesizes, they seem a little familiar. 1400MB and 700MB are commonly used for certain types of movies (the types you get from your 'cousin' :pac:). They all likely use old Xvid video compression.

Video 3 is the highest quality technically. Its got a good video bitrate, full-SD resolution and full AC3 audio.

Video 1 and 2 are both crap.

Thats assuming the source for all the movies is good etc. It may not be as mentioned in the post above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Looking at the filesizes, they seem a little familiar. 1400MB and 700MB are commonly used for certain types of movies (the types you get from your 'cousin' :pac:). They all likely use old Xvid video compression.

Video 3 is the highest quality technically. Its got a good video bitrate, full-SD resolution and full AC3 audio.

Video 1 and 2 are both crap.

Thats assuming the source for all the movies is good etc. It may not be as mentioned in the post above.

Theyr movies alright, though not of the blue kind.

Yeh one of the first two movies is a real old one from the early 90's so had an idea the quality wouldn't be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I torrented Iron Man once. 1.2gb file. There were 4.9gb files too. But you couldnt convince me there was a difference; the first one was as 1080p as cheese is delicious. If there was a difference, it wasnt enough to justify the 4x bigger filesize.

The numbers can lie. Most of the time you just have to use your eyes and ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Movies in Divx:
    700MB
    624x352(Or 640x480)
    6000Kbps
    mp2/mp3/AAC audio - 128/192

Thats decent for watching windowed, and as above is generally used by "cousins".[Use this profile for Youtube ups myself, with smaller files of course]

If you want to watch on a DVD player I'd upscale it to an mp2 mastered DVD with a video suite/encoder. Again, decent results, nothing magical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement