Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I think it'd actually be a great idea to have a language thread where one could talk in any language they choose and not have it be off-topic and completely unrelated to feedback. J'adore parler en francais.

I'm subscribed to the French forum but I never see anywhere that I could actually post. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Yeah I was going to suggest what slow show said. If someone wants to set up a multi-lingual thread I'd so go ahead. Just try and behave yourselves, because it'll be a hell of a lot harder to mod it. I know I'm terrible at languages, but Ginja or Piste might have a better idea of what you're all talking about... If not, google translate ftw.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll annoy you with reports of dodgy French and Irish posts. :cool:

Also. Ultimate Face-Down ruled last year. We need a new gimmick for 2011!

I'll annoy you with reports of dodgy French and Irish posts. :cool:

Also. Ultimate Face-Down ruled last year. We need a new gimmick for 2011!

I have a load more face-down photos, I just didn't want to fill up the whole thread with my posts. >.>

Although I agree, a new entertaining gimmick is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yeah, could report posts in whichever language, besides, there is Google Translate und so weiter.

I've a feeling it'd be dominated by French though, but as the majority wishes...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

kateos2 wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to suggest what slow show said. If someone wants to set up a multi-lingual thread I'd so go ahead. Just try and behave yourselves, because it'll be a hell of a lot harder to mod it. I know I'm terrible at languages, but Ginja or Piste might have a better idea of what you're all talking about... If not, google translate ftw.

You know, I'd be half-willing to learn Esperanto or Interlingua just to troll :p, google translate has neither (though Interlingua should be understandable to most).

<3 really

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly speak, Nadsat and Trainspotting-esque Scots should also be options...

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Yay for positive feedback! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Ross O'Carroll-Kelly speak, Nadsat and Trainspotting-esque Scots should also be options...

<_<

>_>

That should be an immediate infraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

So, just want to say, Great modding you guys! keep up the good work :)

• Advertisement

Yeah guys, great work, you're doing fantast....

Oh wait >.>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Thanks it's easy work when you're surrounded by guys like you ;)

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Thanks it's easy work when you're surrounded by guys like you ;)

Are you flirting with me?

I, for one, welcome our new Insect Overlords! :pac:

I’d like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality moderator, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I’d like to remind them that as a trusted TV personality moderator, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves!

Sorry, who are you?

:P

Are you flirting with me?

NO.

I was compelled by your new signature.. Just so yano >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Keeping thread bumped cos I know how people love to see new posts here <_<

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    NO.

Damn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Where's the drama, lads? I am disappoint. :P

Also, worst mods ever. I mean, eh.. >_>

Love you guys though, srsly. Good job all around. :)

• Advertisement

DramaLlama02.jpg

I don't like all the new threads. LESS NEW THREADS.

I also don't like the whole friendly happy-happy vibe these days. I know it's summer, but tone it down, it's a bit disgraceful like.

My 2 pence.

EDIT: (I've just realised Aoibheann beat me to it...damn! ¬_¬)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

jumpguy wrote: »
    My 2 pence.
    FFS! ... isn't it bad enough Granny Windsorwax is invading us again and stopping the whole city and having people harassed in their houses by the security checks and responsible for Front Square in Trinity being pulled up and the cobbles destroyed, and the exam schedule changed, and the shops closed and losing business ... but now you want to impose a foreign currency on us too????!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

WHAT IS THIS FORUM COMING TO?!!!!

Better? :-P

FFS! ... isn't it bad enough Granny Windsorwax is invading us again and stopping the whole city and having people harassed in their houses by the security checks and responsible for Front Square in Trinity being pulled up and the cobbles destroyed, and the exam schedule changed, and the shops closed and losing business ... but now you want to impose a foreign currency on us too????!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    The sharp point of this recession could've been blunted if we had the ability to devalue our currency. :rolleyes:

My 2 yen.

I would like to say I'm pleased with the spontaneous poetry taking hold of C&H.

I'm probably the last person who wants this thread brought up, but I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Personally, for this forum I feel that lately there has been an excessive amount of talk surrounding alcohol and drinking. As this forum is directed at a younger audience than most I'm not entirely sure how I feel on the matter.

I just wanted to get other people's opinions on whether you're all fine with people posting about drinking or if like me, you're not too sure about it. I could just act on my instincts and start infracting/deleting posts which I think are bit a much but I thought it might be a better idea to get the your thoughts on it before i decide how I'm going to moderate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

shur er the best curse of acten would be....hahja i dont know why but u have a nice face

*vomits*

I think that when people are of the age where they're suddenly old enough to go out then drinking/going out does become a big thing in their life. You can suddenly go out and not be stopped for no ID and what not.

I'm probably the last person who wants this thread brought up, but I've been thinking about this for a while now.

Bold: that used to be me! :D
    Italics: I was thinking the exact same thing this evening.

Did you get access to the Rec Mods' forum yet? There's a short thread there you might find useful.

Bold: that used to be me! :D
    Italics: I was thinking the exact same thing this evening.

Did you get access to the Rec Mods' forum yet? There's a short thread there you might find useful.

Yeah I got access to it about a week ago. I'll have a look at that thread now, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I'd treat discussing drink very much in the way that we teach discussing sex here. It shouldn't necessarily be forbidden but at least discussed maturely IMO.

• Advertisement

I think People should be allowed talk about it. Obviously it has to be decent discussion about it and not stories about how much someone drank, how to get alcohol if someone is underage etc.

I remember back when I was younger and it was all peer-pressure to drink, people older than me posting online about drinking didn't bother me that much.

But that's just me. Personally, I'd refrain from coming online and drunkenly posting (okay, I know I did it once) because it's a bit silly. I think stuff promoting binge drinking wouldn't be wise to post either. Anything else though, c'est la vie imo.

That's just stuff I personally wouldn't post, I usually don't bat an eyelid when I see it posted. :P

I'm not saying ban all discussion on alcohol by any means, I've no issues whatsoever with mature discussion. I dunno, maybe it's just me. Which is why I posted here, to get other people's thought on it before I do anything.

Meh, C&H is described as a: "Young Adult discussion forum" and I've yet to come across a young adult who hasn't stumbled upon alcohol so I don't see the big deal in it tbh..

Commenting just as a user (no other hats on :p):

I don't think it's practical or sensible to pretend alcohol doesn't exist, or that people don't use it, or to automatically wipe all mention of it from the forum.

However, it is a forum that gets used by younger users too, and we need to remember that. I don't think we should be encouraging or promoting drinking, and especially not drinking to excess.

I hadn't really thought about this for a while myself tbh. It was really the "going to Oxegen and bringing ..." posts which struck me earlier this evening as well, Kate. Come to think of it, I think this issue comes up annually around this time! :pac:

Btw, just to be clear, that's not in any way a slap at anyone who may have been involved in the going-to-Oxegen posts. It goes without saying that no-one meant the slightest harm, nor indeed was any great harm done ... it just reminded me that maybe this was something we needed to be aware of, that's all! And that maybe such discussions would be more appropriate for fb chat for example. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

As one of the younger users here I'm not too bothered by people talking about alcohol, I can't say there's many people who go overboard talking about it anyway and there seems to be very little of those "zomg im sooo drunk lolz" posts too. I think there's just been a bit more chat about alcohol because of the time of year, lots of people are just after finishing exams and are celebrating and Oxegen is on next weekend, so there's bound to be some talk about it.

Ally7 wrote: »
    I think there's just been a bit more chat about alcohol because of the time of year, lots of people are just after finishing exams and are celebrating and Oxegen is on next weekend, so there's bound to be some talk about it.
    I think you're spot on, tbh.

If we are all a leeeetle more conscious of it, I suspect that (like a lot of things) it will solve itself.

At the same time, I don't think any of us want C&H featuring on Joe Duffy ... "Omg, Joe, won't somebody think of the children!!" :pac:

P.s. And what's with the mup mup?! Am I missing something (as usual :P) ?

P.s. And what's with the mup mup?! Am I missing something (as usual :P) ?

Its a joke on IRC between Fergus, noel2k9 and _meehan_. I wouldnt pay any attention to it :P

Its a joke on IRC between Fergus, noel2k9 and _meehan_. I wouldnt pay any attention to it :P
    Oh, I wasn't ... just curiosity!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

jumpguy wrote: »
    I remember back when I was younger and it was all peer-pressure to drink, people older than me posting online about drinking didn't bother me that much.

But that's just me. Personally, I'd refrain from coming online and drunkenly posting (okay, I know I did it once) because it's a bit silly. I think stuff promoting binge drinking wouldn't be wise to post either. Anything else though, c'est la vie imo.

That's just stuff I personally wouldn't post, I usually don't bat an eyelid when I see it posted. :P
    I was using this forum since 14/15 and I never felt that excluded/not involved in conversation due to discussion of drink.

I have (recently) started a little bit of underage drinking (almost 17) and I made 2 comments on it in the yah thread I think. :pac: Sorry Kate. :p

I haven't read any of tonights posts but I think that drinking plays large-ish parts in the social lives of older teens and as such can't be excluded from conversation totally.

If you feel an action must to be taken, to preserve the minds of our younger members (:pac:), I wouldn't do anything more extreme than maybe ban posts in Yah in regards to alcohol? Then our younger users will only see the bad parts of alcohol (hang-overs in the argh thread) and the off-topic stuff in the den where it is fair game tbh.

Simples. :D

• Advertisement

I think that acting like something is forbidden makes people want it more.

And when the younger users see the older users whi know their limits and display responsible drinking they'll be more likely to stick within a limit.
    On friday night I had four cans at a 21st. I was fine.
    Bank Holiday Sunday(May, I think?) I had an awful lot more than that and I was not fine.
    Hence me heading to the argh thread to complain. Another reason for younger users to note how important limits are.

I don't know who it was and I'm not taking a shot at whoever it was but someone posted yesterday (along the lines of)

'What happens if you drink lots of whiskey and you get stomach pains??'

This is not normal and I think the younger users recognise that it's not.
    Me coming home on Friday having had a lovely time with no adverse effects? That's normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Obviously this has come out of mine and Noel's (brief) conversation to some degree. I apologise if any of my posts inadvertently caused offence but it's only a few days to Oxegen, we're both looking forward to it and we were genuinely just exchanging information - it's not like I was saying 'omg I'm gonna get so DrUnK!!!' because I'm conscious of not breaking the charter, not to mention not coming across as a total idiot. It's hard to censor everything you say to meet the level what is and what isn't "acceptable" in C&H when those boundaries are becoming less clear-cut.

I'd pretty much agree with all of that, Sarah.

I was a youth worker for a while, and I'm a great believer in parents actually teaching their teenagers, both by example and practical experience, to drink sensibly and responsibly in a safe environment ... assuming said teens want to ofc. I'm talking about a glass of wine with a special meal, or a can at a family party, or whatever. Far better idea than someone's first experience of alcohol being a bottle of vodka shared between 2 or 3 of them down a field somewhere on a Saturday night!

Namlub, relax, seriously. It (and other things) just reminded some of us that maybe we should be a small bit more conscious of this, given that far more people occasionally read here than ever post or become familiar with the regulars. I'm sure both you and Noel and indeed all the others going will use the cop-on you have displayed here over the years, and will have a great time at Oxegen. And Lord knows ye deserve it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The whole alcohol thing has come up before. I'd pretty much ay the same thing I did back then: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68173662&postcount=328

Debate about alcohol in society = Excellent. Should be encouraged.

"ZOMG I was SOOO drunk last night" = Irritating but not specifically breaking rules, so long as it's not appended with "and it was AWESOME and everyone should do it!!" and so long as the same person doesn't constantly post that way. From a mod point of view, I'd say it would be better to edit or delete the posts rather than issue an infraction; even a yellow card would probably be a tad harsh in this context.

"Ugh I have an anvil in my head and just threw up all my stomach contents ever. NO MOAR VODKA EVER" = probably a good thing for young'uns to learn what over-indulgence of alcohol actually leads to. :pac:

I know I've posted drunk a few times on this forum, so it'd be hypocritical for me to invoke a "Kids, alcohol is bad mmm'kay?" stance. But so long as getting wasted is not encouraged (which it never should be) and there are no posts about where to buy drink underage/what pubs let in minors etc. then I don't think there's much of a problem.

tl;dr - Discuss alcohol but don't glorify it.

If anyone was gonna have a bad influence on the youngin's, it'd be me, given that I'm such an idol. :cool:

I'd pretty much agree with all of that, Sarah.

I was a youth worker for a while, and I'm a great believer in parents actually teaching their teenagers, both by example and practical experience, to drink sensibly and responsibly in a safe environment ... assuming said teens want to ofc. I'm talking about a glass of wine with a special meal, or a can at a family party, or whatever. Far better idea than someone's first experience of alcohol being a bottle of vodka shared between 2 or 3 of them down a field somewhere on a Saturday night!

Namlub, relax, seriously. It (and other things) just reminded some of us that maybe we should be a small bit more conscious of this, given that far more people occasionally read here than ever post or become familiar with the regulars. I'm sure both you and Noel and indeed all the others going will use the cop-on you have displayed here over the years, and will have a great time at Oxegen. And Lord knows ye deserve it! :)

I may or my not have a masters in Drug and Alcohol abuse picked out because it'll be 7 years from finishing college before I can do the Councilling and Guidance Masters :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

This issue is kind of hard to discuss because about 65-70% of regulars are 18 or over. I think discussing Alcohol is fine in parts but I do find here that people are sometimes unaware of things called: 'Sober nights'. Discussing alcohol is fine in my eyes but we should also make people be aware that drinking isn't a must if you are to have a good night out or time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

unknown13 wrote: »
    This issue is kind of hard to discuss because about 65-70% of regulars are 18 or over. I think discussing Alcohol is fine in parts but I do find here that people are sometimes unaware of things called: 'Sober nights'. Discussing alcohol is fine in my eyes but we should also make people be aware that drinking isn't a must if you are to have a good night out or time.
    Yeah I think this is important. There's nothing wrong with going out and having a few drinks, but you can have a good night out while being sober as well - something that when you're younger you might not think is feasible, or indeed acceptable in society. Maybe we could have a thread with ideas for sober nights out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Rather than censoring experiences with alcohol and drugs, I think there maybe should be an outlet for people, like the C&H thread on sex, where younger members can ask about alcohol and drugs. That way it isn't a taboo topic, but older members can chip in with responsible, helpful advice about those subjects. If these younger members are as impressionable as they're being made out to be, then they'll surely read it and take it in. (In a preemptive strike, we can even tell them that having hair inside your ears is cool and over-active bowels are perfectly normal. We can never think too far ahead!)

Then maybe a culture of knowledge and responsibility can be created (or sustained, if you're like me and think it's already the case here) within the forum.

• Advertisement

I just want to make it clear that I didn't mean strictly no posting about alcohol or drugs, I just felt that alcohol has been treated with a very casual attitude as of late. As randy has already said, it's just about being more aware of that there are younger users posting and to try and not glorify alcohol. It's about promoting the right attitude towards it that I think is important.

I understand that alcohol and drinking is a coming of age thing, but it isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Obviously as per the charter, any posts telling people about fake ID's/where to buy drink underage etc will be deleted on sight.

Thanks everyone for the input :)

Advertisement