Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The idea for a thread is a good one. Somewhere people can ask;
    What's a unit?
    How many units in a standard drink?
    Who can i talk to if i find myself drinking a lot?
    What if i want to take drugs?
    Who can i talk to if a friend is taking drugs?
    Is it normal for drugs to be this accessible to me?

If i turned around to my mother and asked her any of that at 15 i highly doubt she would have given me the most objective answer.

The thread can be a place where someone can ask a question without being asked a million questions about what they're up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I agree on the whole alcohol thread thing, but tbh, the people of C&H, regardless of age, aren't exactly being pressured into under age drinking/getting fake ids, etc. In fact, I haven't ever seen a mention of something along those lines..

Sure it's grand to say the youth are easily influenced or whatever, but realistically they're not, and if they're going to drink, or not, it's not going to be because of a post they saw in C&H.. :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I agree on the whole alcohol thread thing, but tbh, the people of C&H, regardless of age, aren't exactly being pressured into under age drinking/getting fake ids, etc. In fact, I haven't ever seen a mention of something along those lines..

Sure it's grand to say the youth are easily influenced or whatever, but realistically they're not, and if they're going to drink, or not, it's not going to be because of a post they saw in C&H.. :confused:

The question of "encouraging" reckless drinking isn't the only problem though.
    I believe that posters should aim to maintain a high standard in their posts.
    Some of the rubbish that people write here after a few drinks is just pointless and spammy. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it feels like it lowers the tone of the forum.

The question of "encouraging" reckless drinking isn't the only problem though.
    I believe that posters should aim to maintain a high standard in their posts.
    Some of the rubbish that people write here after a few drinks is just pointless and spammy. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it feels like it lowers the tone of the forum.

Ah yeah but this all popped out when Namlub and I were discussing Oxegen so I figured it was all coming up because of that.. It's hard to tell in C&H anymore what's acceptable and what's not tbh, it's turning more into an endless rule book than a forum..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Ah yeah but this all popped out when Namlub and I were discussing Oxegen so I figured it was all coming up because of that.. It's hard to tell in C&H anymore what's acceptable and what's not tbh, it's turning more into an endless rule book than a forum..

No it wasn't all because of that. Those posts just reminded me to post something I'd been meaning to for a while. Also, I have been modding this forum since February and haven't changed anything in the charter. So I can't see how it's becoming an 'endless rule book'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Noel, I have to be totally honest here. I think most people know what is acceptable and not here. However, if we did a list of how many times people have discussed alcohol here and who they were. I think your name would be high on that list.

We all know as posters who is over 18, who is not over 18. Every poster here over 18 cannot say they haven't talked about alcohol at some point. Everyone over 18 has (mods included) but finding a solution to limit the amount of talk about alcohol is probably the way forward. Total abolishment of talking of alcohol will never work and shouldn't even be contemplated.

What can we do about it. Why don't we run a trial of maybe a month of instant red cards to people who discuss Alcohol in the Den and / or make 'Alcohol free discussion' in some threads. There simple solutions that may work.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

unknown13 wrote: »
    Why don't we run a trial of maybe a month of instant red cards to people who discuss Alcohol in the Den and / or make 'Alcohol free discussion' in some threads. There simple solutions that may work.

Or, to be more gentle with it, a delete-on-sight policy for anything that crosses the line. Something like that could work if cards were used for repeat-offenders.

It would need all three mods to take on their fare share though. Kate's doing a grand ol' job since she came in for Knifey, but it'd be nice to see all three mods posting regularly.

Edit: I realise I'm posting in more general terms now. Posting about drinking comes up as an issue at least once a year here, but I don't think it's ever got badly out-of-hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

What can we do about it. Why don't we run a trial of maybe a month of instant red cards to people who discuss Alcohol in the Den and / or make 'Alcohol free discussion' in some threads. There simple solutions that may work.

I reckon instant red cards for discussion of alcohol may be a little severe...they'd be handed out every day. It would have to depend on the content of the discussion. Obviously, a discussion glorifying alcohol consumption is not acceptable, but surely normal discussion doesn't warrant a straight red?

I think perhaps people will just have to made aware of what's allowed and what isn't.

Noel, I have to be totally honest here. I think most people know what is acceptable and not here. However, if we did a list of how many times people have discussed alcohol here and who they were. I think your name would be high on that list.

Erm no, no it wouldn't. I'm pretty sure I've seen the mods here discussing alcohol more times than I have, complaining of drinking too much, etc. :) I've only started posting of it since February this year, and I've been out less than 10 times since then, and haven't posted each time of that, so please get your facts right before you state I'm one of the contributors to this.

I don't go around posting how everyone here should drink alcohol and I've never done that, not would I never do that.

So please, before you try and criticize me, get your facts right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

That seems a bit much imo, the way I see it before people didn't realise there would be a problem with the way they were discussing alcohol, but attention has been draw to it so now everyone knows to be a bit more aware. Unless this becomes a persistent problem, I don't think there should be any rules against talking about alcohol -beyond the obvious stuff like encouraging underage drinking etc.
    It's a topic that's inevitably going to come up, and provided people aren't bragging about their drinking habits and it's not taking over the forum, then it should be okay for it to come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

If we're an unpredictable, sarcastic homocide detective who has recently lost his wife and kids in a divorce battle over his drink problem, along with the best damn partner he ever had in a stake-out gone wrong, a maverick cop who doesn't play by the rules, but gets the job done, can we have an exemption?

Alcohol-fuelled lowest-ebb moments, just before the key heroic deed and or/breakthrough discovery regarding the case, are kind of important. A rambling, grammatically sloppy post, making revealing personal admissions would be perfect in this situation. I mean sure, one of the moderators can say stuff like "Let me get this through your trigger-happy head, this is coming from the DA's office, straight from the top, the goddamn top Agnostic Mantis, you carry on like this, I'm gonna have your badge! You hear me!?" but I think deleting the post would result in some of the chutzpah being lost. It's a valid consideration, I feel.

I'll stop now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

No-one's going to achieve anything by pointing the finger at certain people if the issue is purportedly with the tone of the forum in general tbf. People know what's acceptable for C&H but even in this thread it's unclear to me whether I need to stop posting about alcohol in general, making posts that glorify alcohol (which I'm not aware of anyone doing anyway) or just not discuss it in certain threads.
    It's important to get the balance right as well. 'omg i was sooo drunk last night!1!' posts aren't particularly helpful, but that's not to say that discussion of drinking should only focus on the negatives to show the kids that alcohol is bad, mmmkay. If a person makes it clear that it's possible to drink in moderation and have a good night without vomiting on your shoes, I don't consider that 'unacceptable' and that might be lost if discussion of alcohol becomes such a sensitive subject...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I propose we create an "alcohol discussion thread" where they discuss alcohol and a "non-alcoholic thread" where they discuss non-alcohol. The Den can be a place where we all convene to make (only if ABSOLUTELY necessary) communications, swap members, etc. It'd be like those little conference huts between North and South Korea.

Instant sitebans for any defectors.

It would need all three mods to take on their fare share though. Kate's doing a grand ol' job since she came in for Knifey, but it'd be nice to see all three mods posting regularly.

+1 on this, Kate seems to have to do everything.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    +1 on this, Kate seems to have to do everything.

I concur.

@Kate my earlier post wasn't an attack on you, so don't take it that way! :) It's just it's hard to tell what's going on here sometimes with all the mixed signals being sent out about what can/can't be discussed kinda..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

kateos2 wrote: »
    I'm probably the last person who wants this thread brought up, but I've been thinking about this for a while now.
    I was wondering if I was the only one! I was going to drag this thread up the other night, in fact, but seeing as I'd only noticed the trend starting back again I decided I'd leave it a while before I dragged up ye olde drama-llama thread! Glad that I'm not actually crazy though. >.<

Seeing as there's been so much discussion and my points have probably been raised already, I'll just go through a few posts that caught my eye!
    Craguls wrote: »
    I'd treat discussing drink very much in the way that we teach discussing sex here. It shouldn't necessarily be forbidden but at least discussed maturely IMO.

Absolutely. I think this was agreed on in the past and all, I've certainly mentioned it here and here, I think that's definitely a reasonable way to discuss it.

Lads, I don't give a shit how wasted you were last night, or are right now. I have zero interest in reading unintelligible crap, but I certainly do think discussion of alcohol, positives and negatives alike, in a manner such as the aforementioned thread would be of benefit.
    *Too long to quote*

I pretty much agree with this entirely. Debate, yes. Unfortunately KW is right in that "OMFG I'M SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WASTED" is irritating but not against the rules (can it be? :pac:) and so would agree on post deletion in favour of cards being issued. At the same time, I reckon if it's a consistent issue with a poster, then cards should certainly be issued - if you see your post being deleted once, and the reason why, and go ahead and do it again repeatedly then you deserve a card IMO.
    This issue is kind of hard to discuss because about 65-70% of regulars are 18 or over. I think discussing Alcohol is fine in parts but I do find here that people are sometimes unaware of things called: 'Sober nights'. Discussing alcohol is fine in my eyes but we should also make people be aware that drinking isn't a must if you are to have a good night out or time.

That's an excellent point, unknown. I don't have a lot to add to it, only to say that I agree with you entirely. :) I'd like to think I'm a decent example of the fact that you can enjoy yourself without getting wasted.

I think that's a bit unfair, Noel. I know it wasn't an attack on Kate, but she has put so much work into this forum (and from knowing the current and previous mods here, the place *is* a lot of work) and I really don't think that she has turned it into an endless rule book. May I ask for specifics on these rules that you have mentioned? The last serious issue I recall being mentioned here in the past was on that of clique accusations, and I don't remember any rules coming out of this. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, I'm genuinely curious though! Also, it may have been a coincidence that it came up when you and Namlub were discussing Oxegen, as the reasons for me planning on bringing up this thread were nothing to do with that at all anyway! :)

I'd also like to echo IO and SarahBeep here. Kate does more than her fair share of the work here and I reckon she's done a great job, and definitely hasn't been unfair to people in her moderating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I was using this forum since 14/15 and I never felt that excluded/not involved in conversation due to discussion of drink.

I have (recently) started a little bit of underage drinking (almost 17) and I made 2 comments on it in the yah thread I think. :pac: Sorry Kate. :p

Our little Jackobyte is growing up *Sniffles*

It's always been a grey area in C&H alchohol is a part of the teen thing,I think it's a fairly case-by-case situation as its almost impossible to draw the line,saying that certain threads have no need to have any alchohol discussion in them,we've a thread for it Here
    its been a while since it was brought up

Needs more cowbell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

The best, most non-controversial, hormone inducing thread in C&H.

:pac:

Feedback; good.

Soz just wanted to see if I gave anyone a heart attack really..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Feedback: This forum is the worst thing to have happened to the earth since gypsies, gays, jews, blacks, whites and muslims. Kill it with fire.

I've just spotted a new name in bold... >_>

Good choice! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Congrats, Lawliet!

Awhhhhhhhhhhh! :D

Congrats Lawliet!

I hope this means moar cat discussion in C&H!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

OooooOOOoohh :) Congratulations, Lawliet!

I'm sure you'll, *ahem*, modify C&H for the better :)

3 or 4 mods now! :eek:
    *behaves*

Someone else has called dibs on starting the welcome thread so I'll post here for now!

Congrats lawliet, it's good to have you on board. Our mod team shall become even more unstoppable now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I think its sexist that all the mods are female.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I think its sexist that all the mods are female.

Dont you mean sexy. Women with power :cool:
    :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Hey lads. Just thought I'd let ye know that everyone is doing a great job :)

Insect, you keep overlording... Pidgy, you keep baking... slow show, clem and soccy, you keep together... Jamjamjamjam, you keep making jam... Cakes, you keep photographying... Sarah, you keep beepin!... Atomic Koala, you keep scaring me... Midget, you keep screamin... M&S*, you keep shoppin... Colm!, you keep making music.. Lawliet, you keep keeping the law in order around here... Togepi, keep catchin them all... Agnostic Mantis, keep selling hard liqour to underage kids... Noel, you keep away.

C&H, keep your hormones.

Down with that sorta thing.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Insect, you keep overlording...

Jacko, keep... byting? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Good job being done recently lads!!

Anybody panic when they saw this thread was bumped?? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I was like this

frog-excellent-1-450x295.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Im unhappy with the lack of drama here. Theres just no buzz to get us all up on our feet and shouting and excited.
    Someone needs to be angry to get something going, sorry lads but its in C&Hs best interest.

THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE FEEDBACK COMMENT

I no longer need to fear this thread being posted in. Mwhahaha

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Im unhappy with the lack of drama here. Theres just no buzz to get us all up on our feet and shouting and excited.
    Someone needs to be angry to get something going, sorry lads but its in C&Hs best interest.

THIS IS NOT A POSITIVE FEEDBACK COMMENT

YOUR FEEDBACK IS FÚCKING ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

YOUR FEEDBACK TO HER FEEDBACK IS RIDICULOUS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

OMFG Dont you be startin' on me boy, ive had just about enough of you like and youre stupid feckin awards.
    Its as plain as the feckin sky like that ya rigged it coz I know I shoulda won some, like do ya even know who I am boyy? I hosted these same awars Ill have you know and I always win awards every single year like and this year is to be no exception. Ill be calling people at ya, I wouldnt be sleepin boyy if I were ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'm Colm's mother. Personally I am horrified that this board condones Colm and other people his age being involved in an orgy. (this comment may just be posted by Colm in search of the bants)

deise_girl wrote: »
    OMFG Dont you be startin' on me boy, ive had just about enough of you like and youre stupid feckin awards.
    Its as plain as the feckin sky like that ya rigged it coz I know I shoulda won some, like do ya even know who I am boyy? I hosted these same awars Ill have you know and I always win awards every single year like and this year is to be no exception. Ill be calling people at ya, I wouldnt be sleepin boyy if I were ya.

dawson-crying.jpeg

• Advertisement

This forum is no longer cliquey enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why?

Nah. What would be wrong about that? It's always nice to be nominated! :)

What I can't believe is that I didn't win Best New-comer. Real shenanigans going on there... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

Yes! Go on stranger who I have never met before!
    >.>
    <.<

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

yeh and like I'm definitely gonna be president so something went wrong somewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Now lads, like I'm not saying this years Jizzlers were rigged... but they were definitely rigged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Now lads, like I'm not saying this years Jizzlers were rigged... but they were definitely rigged.

What you talkin' bout?

/sets fire to ballot boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

I don't think there was anything suspicious at all tbh

/walks away carrying award

• Advertisement
Advertisement