Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

There have been some concerns voiced recently that the forum has become cliquey, that it has changed and that it is not welcoming. There was also mention of bullying and there was the string of quoted posts that re-started this thread.

To address the cliques issue: it's a social forum, it comes with the territory. I've read through this thread and some of the other chatty ones and, speaking as a total outsider, I don't see any cliques. I see people who know each other, who favour talking to some people more than others, but when you have a forum that becomes as close-knit as this one is, it's bound to happen. Frankly I've seen the people complaining about cliques chatting at length about their own in-jokes ironically enough. But importantly, I also see regulars warmly welcoming new posters.

I don't think it's fair to compare changes on other social fora either - they are unique, individual fora with their own set of posters and characteristics. Trying to arrange the changes that worked elsewhere in here won't work and its not fair to ask the Mods to implement them.

I very much don't see any evidence of bullying. I do see some písstaking, and I see people giving as good as they are getting, but the Moderators can't moderate every joke that's made here - the forum guidelines are set by the posters and nothing I've seen goes beyond those limits. Some things are borderline though and I do think it's entirely reasonable to expect posters to be mindful of each other when these jokes are made. Common courtesy and respect towards your fellow posters isn't requested, it's expected on boards.ie. It's probably not the best idea to take the píss out of someone in public when you don't know the person well enough to know how they will react.

The feedback that has been given is noted and taken on board, but I really do think the Mods are doing a sterling job here. They are not, at the end if the day, responsible for 'making' a forum - that's up to its posters. Feedback threads like this help alert Mods to things that might need to be changed (within the Mod remit) but ultimately you guys need to make this forum what you want it to be. And it seems to be what a lot of people like :)

tl;dr I don't see any exclusionary posting here. The in-jokes abound from a variety of different groups here but that's an inevitability of a forum of this nature. The Mods are aware of it and will keep an eye but it seem to be all good from what I can see.

I'll leave it up to the Mods to open this whenever they want to :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I really don't agree with you about the IRC channel (and you can ask anyone, I'm there even less than I am here these days! :P). There's been about as many posts talking about the IRC channel as there have been of people discussing "lulz" in other media such as facebook, and I've seen a lot of one-to-one conversations spilling over here that had nothing to do with the channel.

I don't think it's fair of you to blame IRC for your lack of participation in the forum. That's completely your own call, but I think what I explained above is fairly accurate.

First off, lets put the whole me being banned from the IRC búllshít aside for a moment.

I agree with Fad. The IRC has ruined the C&H. Gone the days of having huge conversations in the Den, gone the large amount of traffic in the C&H, gone the days when we never knew what we could be talking about in the Den.

Now, the Den is used as the countdown to the opening of the IRC, loads of posts in the Den are now based around the IRC and the long multi page conversations in the Den are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

unknown13 wrote: »
    First off, lets put the whole me being banned from the IRC búllshít aside for a moment.

I agree with Fad. The IRC has ruined the C&H. Gone the days of having huge conversations in the Den, gone the large amount of traffic in the C&H, gone the days when we never knew what we could be talking about in the Den.

Now, the Den is used as the countdown to the opening of the IRC, loads of posts in the Den are now based around the IRC and the long multi page conversations in the Den are gone.

IRC's always open now though so there's no countdown!

>_>

<_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I'd say that, all things considering, Facebook has made much more of a mess of this forum than anything else. >_>

The Den is deserted these days. How can there be a countdown to nothing? For all these people saying that IRC ruined C&H - why did you not just choose to post in the Den over using the channel, and get some conversation going yourself?

I don't think it's fair to blame something when people can easily change things themselves. It's like people thinking that things have changed in the forum. We make the changes. We make the choices. People chose to do nothing. Others chose to use the channel. I used both. I posted regularly here, and used the channel quite a lot. I wouldn't ever think that I contributed to any alleged downfall of this forum, and I wouldn't think it's fair to say that I did (not saying that anyone has accused me, but I was one of the main users of the channel, as well as being a regular here so I think I should be allowed to address it as such! :P).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I actually agree with you, up to a point. I've never been a major fan of the IRC channel. It took some great posters away from the forum and over to another medium. Of course, the chat that goes on in IRC is different from what happens on the forum. But, I miss the way some people used to chat here instead of there, even if they were talking about completely different things.

I would never say it ruined C&H though :) We still have plenty of great, regular posters and lots of great new ones too. There's been a lot of negativity here in the past couple of weeks. I think the downsides have been exaggerated, and people are ignoring the good. This is still the strongest (public) social forum on the site. I do think it would be stronger without #C&H though.

• Advertisement

Aoibheann wrote: »
    I'd say that, all things considering, Facebook has made much more of a mess of this forum than anything else. >_>

The Den is deserted these days. How can there be a countdown to nothing? For all these people saying that IRC ruined C&H - why did you not just choose to post in? the Den over using the channel, and get some conversation going yourself

I don't think it's fair to blame something when people can easily change things themselves. It's like people thinking that things have changed in the forum. We make the changes. We make the choices. People chose to do nothing. Others chose to use the channel. I used both. I posted regularly here, and used the channel quite a lot. I wouldn't ever think that I contributed to any alleged downfall of this forum, and I wouldn't think it's fair to say that I did (not saying that anyone has accused me, but I was one of the main users of the channel, as well as being a regular here so I think I should be allowed to address it as such! :P).

What is the point, the traffic in the C&H is low. I might be waiting a half an hour to get a response. Now, if I want to have a chat on boards at night, I venture over to the The Lair in the Nocturnal Forum because I will definitely get a quick response there.

What is the point, the traffic in the C&H is low. I might be waiting a half an hour to get a response. Now, if I want to have a chat on boards at night, I venture over to the The Lair in the Nocturnal Forum because I will definitely get a quick response there.

But how can you know if you don't try? That's my point. And honestly, that's not aimed at you - just that your response triggered the thought. I'm frustrated because everyone blames the channel for the decline in the forum, but not many people seemed to bother posting on the thread. I'd have responded to anything that piqued my interest!

I would never give up something without a fight, and I don't see why people can let things go so quietly, and then blame something for a change later on. It's kind of like complaining about a politician having never used your vote.

I'm not saying you didn't try, because you probably did. Not many others did though, and that's the problem. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Just FYI, for the majority of the last month or so (maybe more) IRC has been almost completely dead most nights.
    I have no idea where people are getting the idea that we're stealing traffic, but I can assure you that we're not getting any of the traffic that C&H has been missing, the last 3 or 4 days have been the first times I've actually seen proper conversation in there in ages.

Lots of people are posting less on C&H recently, but pretty much none of these people are actually talking on IRC either, it's basically been the same core of regulars on IRC for ages, and we've even lost a few of those.
    People are simply assigning blame.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yea Clem informed me for the last cupla weeks (aside from the past 3 days..) theres really only been himself, davidius and pygmalion most nights, with people passing through for a few hours but like no real hardcore convos :)

tl;dr
    Irc is stealing feck all

deise_girl wrote: »
    Yea Clem informed me for the last cupla weeks (aside from the past 3 days..) theres really only been himself, davidius and pygmalion most nights, with people passing through for a few hours but like no real hardcore convos :)

tl;dr
    Irc is stealing feck all

*Coughs*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I haven't posted that much on C&H recently (tbf I suppose I was never really a regular poster, but I did read the forum a good bit). But anywayyyy...

It's kinda sad to see the way the forum has gone recently. C&H always seemed to be a place where everyone mostly got on well, and had a nice vibe :) There were some great threads, like the depression one (which I posted quite a bit on >_<) and loads others too. Arrrrgh and Yaaaah I especially like :pac: And The Den with it's copious amounts of name changes <3

To stop with the thread love for a bit, I think everyone needs to take a minute and think about something. C&H is an internet forum. Yeah it's a lovely one and all with some really nice posters, but at the end of the day there's no need to take everything so seriously. I'm not belittling the things that have gone on in the last little while; it's not good when people feel ostracised/bullied. This should be a fun place where we go and chat, let off some steam, whatever.

I hope nobody takes this post up the wrong way, I just thought this needed to be pointed out :o

Considering the very low number of people who are actually in IRC at any given time these days, that's a bit untrue. Maybe at one stage it was true, but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Considering the very low number of people who are actually in IRC at any given time these days, that's a bit untrue. Maybe at one stage it was true, but not now.

When I was talking about it, I meant months ago, when my posting in here slowed......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Fad wrote: »
    When I was talking about it, I meant months ago, when my posting in here slowed......
    Same, when the IRC was very busy over the summer, C&H slowed and the pace of it never seemed to pick up again imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Same, when the IRC was very busy over the summer, C&H slowed and the pace of it never seemed to pick up again imo.

I wouldnt be a huge poster on c&h,just the odd post here and there. I would be on irc a lot because i have it open for other things im on. Even over the summer when it use to be somewhat busy on IRC most people there were still posting in here while chatting away IRC. There would be a burst of conversation and then it would go quiet for ages and people just kept posting here as they were previously. Its definitely not the reason these days that things have quietened down with most nights there being a max about 8/9 people on there at any time. I have seen a slight change is the general aura of the forum. I wouldn't say its a huge change but i can see why it is starting to annoy some people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Christmas holidays last year saw an explosion in traffic, so I'm not too worried about the health of this forum yet. :) Hopefully we'll be able to bring back The Jizzlers this year too. A few new awards, loads of new threads for nominees and people having more free time to get back on-line should bring about that warm, fuzzy feeling we were lucky enough to get used to for so much of 2010. ^_^

In other words, <333333 for all \o/

Will the people that continually talk about their private / love life stop posting about it in the Den because it is getting very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Will the people that continually talk about their private / love life stop posting about it in the Den because it is getting very annoying.

Helps if you say who the people are...?

I am not putting it here publicly but if the mods want to PM me, I will be more than happy to tell them

I am not putting it here publicly but if the mods want to PM me, I will be more than happy to tell them

So you're teasing people with something then :confused:

Why bother saying anything in the first place if you wouldn't tell the forum :confused:

• Advertisement

If you're going to use the Forum Feedback Thread, being cryptic is not to be advised.

Speak your piece openly and it'll be easier to deal with.

In what way, though? I mean, I occasionally refer to my boyfriend, but only when I feel he is somehow involved in whatever anecdote I'm telling. So I'm wondering, do you mean any general references to one's boyfriend/girlfriend or is it specific flirting/people going on about their relationships all the time? Because I don't think that the former is a problem, but I can understand how the latter could be. I haven't noticed it recently, but I'm just wondering!

Tbf what's going on in the den now is just a chat..

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Tbf what's going on in the den now is just a chat..

You're actually not giving out to me or being sarcastic to me? :eek:

:pac::P

You're actually not giving out to me or being sarcastic to me? :eek:

:pac::P

:P That happened like once!

Plus after reciting meatloaf, how would that be possible?! :pac:

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    :P That happened like once!

Plus after reciting meatloaf, how would that be possible?! :pac:

Yeah I suppose...

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

:P

Take it to the Den guys ;)

Oh, and anyone with an actual issue or real feedback can continue to post here, or to PM me.

For anyone who is wondering why the Know Your Fellow *Insert Description Thingy* Thread suddenly has an extra 100+ posts:

We decided back in July to keep separate threads for the pictures and for discussion on them.
    I moved a big pile of posts from the old thread into a new one, with instructions on how to copy a picture from one to the other to comment on it.
    Nobody ever used the new thread... :p
    I just merged them back together again a few moments ago. For new posters, the old rule still applies: No picture, no comment. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I haven't been posting as much lately, but something I noticed a while ago seems to still be going on... does Maths have to infiltrate every* topic on the forum?

I get that it's a mutual interest for a good few of the posters, but they have their own whole thread for it. I can't be the only one with a sheer ignorance/general disinterest of Mersenne numbers...

(No offence to the Mathsy types, I'm sure you'd find my topic of study stupendously boring. Different strokes.)

*gross exaggeration

Advertisement