Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

You could bang it out in excel in no time, tbh. I'd even do it if you wanted. To keep it fair though, you'd want the PMs send to an account separate to an actual poster's account, viewable by mods as well as the votetoter.
    I think the system we have now is fine, it's simple, easy and anonymous. I know I don't like the idea of three or four people seeing who I'm voting for, especially if the people counting it are in the category I'm voting for. If you make it harder for people to vote and take away their anonymity, you're just going to have less people taking part.

And to be honest, I don't think non regulars voting is that big of a problem. The result were posted for everyone to see, and the poll in question wasn't won by a huge margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Palytoxin wrote: »
    I was only thinking it might encourage interaction and activity in the forum, that's all, if people had to post at least once even in order to vote, even introduced themselves. (Probably seems like I'm bitter over votes or something now).

To quote mods of times gone by, "It's a Feedback thread. Give Feedback.", which is exactly what you did. It doesn't come across as bitter in any way. :)

However, I would have a problem with the bolded part. I think it's a dangerous route to go down to say you have to post in the forum in order to vote. It should be more a case that people want to post in the forum.

Because if we can't entice people into the forum during the year, and have to rely on the threat of not being able to vote for your friends in the Jizzler's to get people in, then we're in serious trouble here.
    You could bang it out in excel in no time, tbh. I'd even do it if you wanted. To keep it fair though, you'd want the PMs send to an account separate to an actual poster's account, viewable by mods as well as the votetoter.

Indeed, it could be done, but toting up in an excel sheet would add workload to whoever was doing it, and I would be wary of expecting people to commit to that around Christmas.

But I'm curious. Why has this suddenly arisen as an issue? The poll system seems to have been adequate for the past three years, and I checked back through this thread around the time of '09 Jizzlers, and it wasn't raised then. It wasn't suggested then that only C&H regular posters should be allowed to vote, and I'm genuinely curious as to why that is?

Is it because someone who isn't part of the main clique of C&H posters won this year, and back then it was two who were well embedded in that clique?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

The best solution to this voting malarkey is to just award everything to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Lawliet wrote: »
    I think the system we have now is fine, it's simple, easy and anonymous.

Therein lies the problem. Ballot stuffing is too easy. It's not really voted by merit of the candidate if a candidate can go elsewhere to acquire votes. That'd be like someone running in an election in Ireland, but losing because the other candidate had more votes from Guatemala outnumbering the actual winner's Irish total.
    I know I don't like the idea of three or four people seeing who I'm voting for, especially if the people counting it are in the category I'm voting for. If you make it harder for people to vote and take away their anonymity, you're just going to have less people taking part.

Anonymity? Yeah great, but you have to be sure that the voters are from the constituency. What's the point in the vote if anyone can stuff the ballot box due to having more completely unrelated connections?

Would it be fair if I asked the forum (on another site) I moderate "Hey guys, I have this silly election on another forum coming up, could you please just make an account and vote for me"? It's a fairly niche forum, but there are still >100K registered users. Afaik, there isn't much of a crossover between there and C&H, but it happened on a smaller, more localised scale here. Would it be fair?
    And to be honest, I don't think non regulars voting is that big of a problem. The result were posted for everyone to see, and the poll in question wasn't won by a huge margin.

The post drawing users was thanked ten times. We'll assume that there was an average (50%) crossover from that post as it linked directly to the poll. That could potentially have been 5 votes, the difference between first and tied last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    However, I would have a problem with the bolded part. I think it's a dangerous route to go down to say you have to post in the forum in order to vote. It should be more a case that people want to post in the forum.
    But if people have no input into the forum other than looking at posts, why would they vote? I get the whole lurking thing, but it wouldn't kill someone to say, "Hi, I'm x, I like y, I'm from z" in the intros thread!
    Because if we can't entice people into the forum during the year, and have to rely on the threat of not being able to vote for your friends in the Jizzler's to get people in, then we're in serious trouble here.
    I'm all on for more people, and making the forum as enticing as possible to everybody.
    Indeed, it could be done, but toting up in an excel sheet would add workload to whoever was doing it, and I would be wary of expecting people to commit to that around Christmas.
    Sssshh, now's the chance to hold him to his word...
    Is it because someone who isn't part of the main clique of C&H posters won this year, and back then it was two who were well embedded in that clique?
    As far as I'm aware the only real clique is because the people that use the IRC or have even come into it once to say hello know each other a bit better, and know if they are more helpful of nerdy or whatever it is, and therefore might be more inclined to vote for them, you can vouch for that yourself that we know each other better since you've come on!

I hate breaking posts up like this to reply to them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Look guys, I think the important thing is that we refine everything for next year.
    Every Jizzlers should strive to be better than the last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The money was just resting in my account!

Would it be fair if I asked the forum (on another site) I moderate "Hey guys, I have this silly election on another forum coming up

I don't think you treat these awards seriously enough, opinion redundant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Because if we can't entice people into the forum during the year, and have to rely on the threat of not being able to vote for your friends in the Jizzler's to get people in, then we're in serious trouble here

I've taken a few steps back from this forum over the last year. Most times I do check in it's the same few threads that are active (Yeah, Aargh, The Den, STYA, Video-games, the IRC thread, whoever is in the Play Pen and recently the Draw A Picture thing).

I think some new blood and some new thread ideas are needed. Not because of cliques or anything silly like that, but just to keep bringing in fresh things to complement the old reliables.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

But I'm curious. Why has this suddenly arisen as an issue? The poll system seems to have been adequate for the past three years, and I checked back through this thread around the time of '09 Jizzlers, and it wasn't raised then. It wasn't suggested then that only C&H regular posters should be allowed to vote, and I'm genuinely curious as to why that is?

Wahey, the forum is cliquey again!! \o/ :P

Palytoxin wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware the only real clique is because the people that use the IRC or have even come into it once to say hello know each other a bit better, and know if they are more helpful of nerdy or whatever it is, and therefore might be more inclined to vote for them, you can vouch for that yourself that we know each other better since you've come on!

I agree completely. IRC is (as much as I take the piss out of it) a great thing for the regular posters to use to get to know each other better in a way that a message board like C&H proper just doesn't allow.

But I also remember everything that was said in IRC on the night of the Jizzlers. And I'm asking myself: "Is their problem the system, or the person who used the system to win."

Again. Three years have gone by where this wasn't an issue. Why? I'm genuinely curious as I only really started posting around the time of last year's awards, so I'm curious as to why it is felt the system is so suddenly flawed.

Look, I'm not saying the current system is perfect. It is open to abuse. But I would worry that even giving the impression that only regular posters are entitled to vote gives the impression that this is not an inclusive place. People shouldn't feel obligated to post, they should want to post. At the end of the day the Jizzlers are a bit of craic, and the more barriers and rules it has the less fun it becomes IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Looking at the results jefery posted....

23 people voted in The most creative poster poll (Just one taken at random)

16 voted in the most inspirational.

Just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Again. Three years have gone by where this wasn't an issue. Why? I'm genuinely curious as I only really started posting around the time of last year's awards, so I'm curious as to why it is felt the system is so suddenly flawed.

I've been around for all the previous Jizzlers and I believe the reason why the system is suddenly being questioned is because there never was a case of someone posting in another forum about being nominated with a link to the voting thread before.

It's never been explicitly stated that you can't do that but it never happened before. Since it has now happened it's obviously causing people to wonder about the voting system.

The only thing I can say about the whole situation is this: The Jizzlers are a laugh. They were never meant to be taken seriously. I honestly see absolutely no need for complicated voting procedures - the current system works fine. What I would suggest is that next year perhaps, it be stated in the nominations/voting threads that the awards are not permitted to be linked to in other forums. You can disqualify any nominee caught doing that if you want or something. That should get rid of these worries of potential corruption to the votes. Sure there are plenty of other ways to go around getting people to vote for you but as I said before, the Jizzlers aren't the freakin' Oscars - does anyone really care that much about winning that they'd go to all that bother?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the whole thing looking at it as someone who is no longer involved much with C&H but who has been around for previous Jizzler awards ceremonies.

Konata wrote: »
    I've been around for all the previous Jizzlers and I believe the reason why the system is suddenly being questioned is because there never was a case of someone posting in another forum about being nominated with a link to the voting thread before.

It's never been explicitly stated that you can't do that but it never happened before. Since it has now happened it's obviously causing people to wonder about the voting system.

The only thing I can say about the whole situation is this: The Jizzlers are a laugh. They were never meant to be taken seriously. I honestly see absolutely no need for complicated voting procedures - the current system works fine. What I would suggest is that next year perhaps, it be stated in the nominations/voting threads that the awards are not permitted to be linked to in other forums. You can disqualify any nominee caught doing that if you want or something. That should get rid of these worries of potential corruption to the votes. Sure there are plenty of other ways to go around getting people to vote for you but as I said before, the Jizzlers aren't the freakin' Oscars - does anyone really care that much about winning that they'd go to all that bother?

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on the whole thing looking at it as someone who is no longer involved much with C&H but who has been around for previous Jizzler awards ceremonies.

Konata, if I agreed with your post any more, I would likely run off to Mexico and marry it...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

<_<

>_>

I wouldn't be so sure of that! :o But it was hilarious at the time. The "Should Be A Couple" award is always fun like that. :D

Sound for the concern that I'm clearly being stalked lads :pac::pac::pac::pac:

SarahBeep! wrote: »

It's cool, cuz! I got your back. :cool:

It's cool, cuz! I got your back. :cool:

Sound love! :D

(Good thing you don't mod here any more, you'd be accused of nepotism )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

SarahBeep! wrote: »

:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I just started posting here like, what 2 or 3 days ago. I just kind of wandered in by stumbling upon the STYA thread and decided to stick around.

But I think if I had wandered in and seen that there was some award thingys but it was only for certain people I'd probably feel very excluded and left out and would probably move on to another forum. It's intimidating for new posters to get involved when there already is an established clique.

Perhaps that's just my emotions taking hold :rolleyes:

Anyway, what do I know! As I see, the Jizzlers (still makes me lawl) are meant to be a bit of harmless craic and should be kept that way if possible!

/my two cents

Sure there are plenty of other ways to go around getting people to vote for you but as I said before, the Jizzlers aren't the freakin' Oscars - does anyone really care that much about winning that they'd go to all that bother?

*quietly closes alias accounts*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

I just started posting here like, what 2 or 3 days ago. I just kind of wandered in by stumbling upon the STYA thread and decided to stick around.

But I think if I had wandered in and seen that there was some award thingys but it was only for certain people I'd probably feel very excluded and left out and would probably move on to another forum. It's intimidating for new posters to get involved when there already is an established clique.

Perhaps that's just my emotions taking hold :rolleyes:

Anyway, what do I know! As I see, the Jizzlers (still makes me lawl) are meant to be a bit of harmless craic and should be kept that way if possible!

/my two cents

See this guy is exactly why it should only be long term posters voting :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

anirishlad wrote: »
    See this guy is exactly why it should only be long term posters voting :pac:
    They've already been assimilated into IRC..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm glad someone new said that, I think people forget that it's often intimidating to try and join in when everyone seems to know each other.
    I definitely don't want C&H turning into a place where we only let certain people take part in events 'cause our little forum awards are srs bsns. That's not going to encourage people to post, it's going to scare people off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Right. I feel like I should make a proper reply to this seeing as I apparently was second in the award in question. I've had a pretty busy week in work (circa 55 hours) so missed most of the jizzlers. Tbh, while yeah it was nice to be nominated as an inspirational person, I don't really give to much of a crap about the awards. They're a bit of fun, sure that's in the name. The fact I've been nominated for the same award two years in a row is enough to make me smile. I wouldn't think about sharing it and trying to gain votes to win it, and I highly doubt that was sarahbeep!'s intentions; I'm going to guess she was like me and was shocked/chuffed that people, for a reason I can't see found he inspiring, I highly doubt there was any attempts at ballot stuffing on her behalf.

I'm sorry but it's a bit of fun awards ceremony on an internet forum. Again I don't understand why people make such a big fuss over it.

drama-llama.jpg

#pigwidgeonformostinspirationalposter2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I still haven't won a goddamn Jizzler, and there's even one for being really good at being me. :mad:

New twist: Pigwidgeon is actually SarahBeep!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Suidivad

I'm puzzled. Is it OK for me, a non-forum regular with no prior connections, to vote then? Holy heck, I know a certain Mr. tradoburns who's down a vote now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anyone else think one video per post in STYA would be a good idea?

Advertisement