Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

1232425262729»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

decisions wrote: »
    Anyone else think one video per post in STYA would be a good idea?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

decisions wrote: »
    Anyone else think one video per post in STYA would be a good idea?

It's becoming unmanageable to be honest. On anything other than the fastest broadband it completely crashes my browser (I do use 40posts/page though, which probably makes it a lot worse :o).

Instead of restricting the number of videos, would it be better to try and only post a link to the video instead of embedding it?

Or are the majority happy with it the way it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Or are the majority happy with it the way it is?

I'm perfectly happy with it since each "video" only loads an image until clicked. If you can't handle images... well.. the internet is not a good place for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Instead of restricting the number of videos, would it be better to try and only post a link to the video instead of embedding it?

I haven't really visited that thread much (TBH I'm waiting for it to hit 10,000 posts so I can join in when there's a new thread :P), but this sounds like a good idea, as long as people say what the song is and who it's by.

That thread any other threads with that amount of videos per page tend to not agree with my internet any time I visit them, so I think links would be a good solution if others are having the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I'm sorry, I got carried away, okay! :-P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Ah nah don't make it into links, that'd just be a deterrent to actually listening to songs. I can't really explain it but embedding is better. One video per post, grand, I apologise for also getting carried away in the past. :p

And like if you're gonna have 40 posts per page and not the best internet STYA is obviously gonna be a problem (no offence :p). It's a burden wnolan, but it's your burden. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Slow Show wrote: »
    Ah nah don't make it into links, that'd just be a deterrent to actually listening to songs. I can't really explain it but embedding is better. One video per post, grand, I apologise for also getting carried away in the past. :p

And like if you're gonna have 40 posts per page and not the best internet STYA is obviously gonna be a problem (no offence :p). It's a burden wnolan, but it's your burden. :)

True that I suppose. :(

And in retrospect, links are a bad idea. Instead of one tab with STYA open, you'd have dozens of YT tabs open. My bad. :o

Only a few days until decent internet again though, so hopefully I'll be able to venture back into STYA then... Gonna be some craic catching up on a month's worth of videos though. :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm pretty sure we had a 3 video per post limit at some stage, probably more than two years ago now though. There's a glitch that seems to make some posts appear twice as well, so people should check to make sure they aren't posting 5 or 6 videos twice in a row by accident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'm perfectly happy with it since each "video" only loads an image until clicked. If you can't handle images... well.. the internet is not a good place for you.
    I'm not sure that's right, I can infinite scroll pictures for hours no problem, and yet I've have had chrome crash on STYA a couple of times in the last few days.

I'm pretty sure we had a 3 video per post limit at some stage
    I think a three video limit is probably the best solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I live in the west, so my modem is probably powered by a water wheel for all I know. I never have problems with the thread though. Might be a better thread if links were posted and people wrote more about their opinions on the track and why it should be listened to. It would either deter lazy multi-embedding, or give us some great music writing, or both!

BUT HEY WHO AM I I'M JUST A GUY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

On a related note that thread is filled with too many hipster indie bands I've never heard of. Please stop posting things I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭HandsomeDivil

I live in the west, so my modem is probably powered by a water wheel for all I know. I never have problems with the thread though. Might be a better thread if links were posted and people wrote more about their opinions on the track and why it should be listened to. It would either deter lazy multi-embedding, or give us some great music writing, or both!

BUT HEY WHO AM I I'M JUST A GUY

Kinda related to this, I have thought before that maybe a separate thread for music discussion could be useful. Like there is ****loads of music posted in STYA but there is rarely any discussion about the music being posted, at best maybe one or 2 sentences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Konata wrote: »
    I've been around for all the previous Jizzlers and I believe the reason why the system is suddenly being questioned is because there never was a case of someone posting in another forum about being nominated with a link to the voting thread before.
    Deisemonster were disqualified for seeking votes from the JC forum the first year, but they had explicitedly asked for votes, rather than the more subtle occurence this year. Anyway, for next year we can add in the extra note saying that mention of the polls cannot be shared elsewhere.
    Slow Show wrote: »

I've **** internet and seems grand to me. 3 videos per post seems reasonable though.

Advertisement