Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hello all.

I'm going to keep this one short and head on my way. First of all, I'd just like to apologise to the mods for causing such a commotion. I certainly wouldn't have wanted such an uproar in my own forums, and as such I'd like to say sorry for being the root cause of one.

Secondly, while I can't really apologise for the actual post which I was warned for as there was nothing hateful/naughty etc. in there, I'm sorry that it was deemed rude enough to warrant a yellow card.

Finally a big thanks to anyone who has expressed support in anyway to me over the past few days. I have found it uplifting and quite, ehm nice.

D4RK/dork ONION/Bunion aka Paul :)

Legend! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Hello all.

I'm going to keep this one short and head on my way. First of all, I'd just like to apologise to the mods for causing such a commotion. I certainly wouldn't have wanted such an uproar in my own forums, and as such I'd like to say sorry for being the root cause of one.
    Don't worry about it; I didn't notice any "commotion" until tonight tbh.

I won't comment on the whole yellow card thing because I don't think here is the appropriate place. All I'll say is that it would be a big shame if you stopped posting here and it would be best if this whole thing was forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I'm reluctant to post this, the whole criticising moddage isnt exactly kosher, but anyway.....

Modding in this forum is too heavy handed at times.

Far too often I see warnings about going off topic in the AAAAAAAAARGH and YAAAAAAAAH threads, they're not really threads with a topic FFS!

Every thread goes off topic and if it has some sort of relation to the thread, why alter that? If something has no context whatsoever or is spammy etc, fine move it/delete it/whatever. But there's no need for some of the stuff that goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hello all.

Secondly, while I can't really apologise for the actual post which I was warned for as there was nothing hateful/naughty etc. in there, I'm sorry that it was deemed rude enough to warrant a yellow card.

Finally a big thanks to anyone who has expressed support in anyway to me over the past few days. I have found it uplifting and quite, ehm nice.

...there was a commotion?

New Year's reolution: be up to date with boards drama as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hello all.

Are you back for good now or just being a tease? :P
    Piste wrote: »

Don't feel bad, I only cottoned on last night.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    I'm reluctant to post this, the whole criticising moddage isnt exactly kosher, but anyway.....

Don't be reluctant; criticising moderation is feedback, and that is the point of this thread.
    Modding in this forum is too heavy handed at times.
    I accept that; I've already admitted in this thread that I have been too heavy handed in the past. I even went as far as apologising to you once for giving an infraction that you didn't deserve.

But in our defence, I will say this; you guys have no idea how much trepidation and reservation there was about C&H when it first started. There was a lot of opposition to it because people thought it would turn into a txt spk haven or a sort of Bebo-lite, but also because of the dangers young people potentially face on the internet (this being the reason why we have the "Stay Safe" sticky at the top of the forum). There are posters as young as 13 on this forum, and for this reason we were basically told to be heavy handed with the moderation. The "no paedo jokes" part of the charter is an example of this; we are heavy handed at times because we need to be.
    When I was starting off and I gave a yellow card to a user on this forum for the first time, another non-C&H Mod told me I should have banned the user.

I might be starting to waffle a bit, but I hope you guys appreciate the sensitive nature of a forum involving young people.

For a final note on this, I was a newbie mod when I started C&H. So was JC 2K3 and so was An File. Moderation is a learning curve, mistakes will be made. This is why feedback threads like this are so important.
    Far too often I see warnings about going off topic in the AAAAAAAAARGH and YAAAAAAAAH threads, they're not really threads with a topic FFS!

Every thread goes off topic and if it has some sort of relation to the thread, why alter that? If something has no context whatsoever or is spammy etc, fine move it/delete it/whatever. But there's no need for some of the stuff that goes on.

I would only warn people about off-topicness in those threads if it was turning into a private PM-type conversation between two (or more) people.

If you had any examples of what you describe, it would help me understand better where you're coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Don't be reluctant; criticising moderation is feedback, and that is the point of this thread.

I accept that; I've already admitted in this thread that I have been too heavy handed in the past. I even went as far as apologising to you once for giving an infraction that you didn't deserve.

But in our defence, I will say this; you guys have no idea how much trepidation and reservation there was about C&H when it first started. There was a lot of opposition to it because people thought it would turn into a txt spk haven or a sort of Bebo-lite, but also because of the dangers young people potentially face on the internet (this being the reason why we have the "Stay Safe" sticky at the top of the forum). There are posters as young as 13 on this forum, and for this reason we were basically told to be heavy handed with the moderation. The "no paedo jokes" part of the charter is an example of this; we are heavy handed at times because we need to be.
    When I was starting off and I gave a yellow card to a user on this forum for the first time, another non-C&H Mod told me I should have banned the user.

I might be starting to waffle a bit, but I hope you guys appreciate the sensitive nature of a forum involving young people.

For a final note on this, I was a newbie mod when I started C&H. So was JC 2K3 and so was An File. Moderation is a learning curve, mistakes will be made. This is why feedback threads like this are so important.

I would only warn people about off-topicness in those threads if it was turning into a private PM-type conversation between two (or more) people.

If you had any examples of what you describe, it would help me understand better where you're coming from.

Wasnt referring to that incident :p

I'll come back to this tomorrow, I'd have to hunt through the OT thread, and I have to get up at 6 :(

My general message is though, just let things flow a little more.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I thought he had gotten a sex change or something tbh :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

+1

I don't like these kinds of times, because it is a conversation. I don't like that. So for that, I tip my hat to you. It makes it kinda uncomfortable at times. Control is nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Wasnt referring to that incident :p

I'll come back to this tomorrow, I'd have to hunt through the OT thread, and I have to get up at 6 :(

My general message is though, just let things flow a little more.....
    "Let things flow a little more..." - gotcha. Point taken. :)
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Soccer's an absolute minefield; anyone brave enough to mod that place deserves respect!
    I know I've been a bit complainy in this thread but on the positive feedback front, I do really like the forum and it's probably the one I visit most now.

Like I said to Fad, don't worry about coming across as negative or critical. Seriously, the more honest everyone is with their feedback, the better it is for us and for the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Soccer's an absolute minefield; anyone brave enough to mod that place deserves respect!
    Soccer is ridiculous. You can hardly express your opinion without infringing some part of the charter...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We have 21 registered users looking at this forum right now. I think we (as a forum, the whole group) must be doing something right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

This forum has undergone more of a transformation in the last 10 days than it has since it began. :D

I was thinking about the Soundtrack To Your Angst thread.

I was beginning to find it very stale, that people owuld just come on and post a few videos and pretty much leave it at that, I was guilty of that too.
    But to be honest, I'd like to have more discussions going on. Me and thebigcheese had a good discussion about Pearl Jam. I'd really like it if there was more of that going on :)

I'm pretty sure that thread was intended as a general music discussion thread. The whole "post a vid and leave" just happened to be the format it took.
    I have no problem with more discussion being there. :)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Less pr0nstar discussion would be cool. Just saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Less pr0nstar discussion would be cool. Just saying

We could put aside a thread for Brummytom to post in, heavily modded (perhaps a new mod set aside just for that thread alone), and he's not allowed to introduce anything dirty to other threads

It's kinda funny. He's been here what, three days? And already he's brought down the class of this forum with little or no effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I've never felt so proud. The best thing is, it was unintentional :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Did you have to pick C&H?

I just think of Cyanide and Happiness...

We've discussed the forum name....I don't know how many times. A poll was done not so long ago about whether to change it or not, and in typical C&H fashion, it ended in a tie! So it's being left alone for the foreseeable future.

Besides, Cyanide & Happiness is awesome! So if it makes you think of that, all well and good. :)

We've discussed the forum name....I don't know how many times. A poll was done not so long ago about whether to change it or not, and in typical C&H fashion, it ended in a tie! So it's being left alone for the foreseeable future.

Should change half the name to be honest (We can ignore the "and" since it's 3 words), and since everyone loved "The Breakfast Club" I suggest "Breakfast and Hormones" or "The Clearasil Club"

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Who was that total legend who came up with the breakfast club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Just a quick suggestion to maybe make a thread for people to put themselves forward for "In the Play-pen".. I don't *think* one exists and it was the way the order in which people were in the "Noclight" in the noc forum was decided. :)

Also, I've only been posting here a few days, but you're all lovely and have made me feel very welcome, so cheers! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Aoibheann wrote: »
    Just a quick suggestion to maybe make a thread for people to put themselves forward for "In the Play-pen".. I don't *think* one exists and it was the way the order in which people were in the "Noclight" in the noc forum was decided. :)

Good idea.
    If you open a new thread I'll post the list as it currently stands, and further volunteers can take their places from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Good idea.
    If you open a new thread I'll post the list as it currently stands, and further volunteers can take their places from there.

I'm lazy, so Craguls did it instead. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't really like the whole "no discussions in the pics thread" rule. Oh sure, I weild the sexy powers and could tell everyone to comment all they like, but that's not how we do it round these here parts. I'd like to get opinions from users and my fellow mods about possibly changing this rule to "no comments that could make a person feel uneasy". Now I know this is fairly loose, but we're not trying to rewrite the constitution here ;) but I think the mods could be trusted to interpret this in a way that would allow for discussion, but still let people feel comfortable posting pics of themselves (no pervin' basically ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I don't really like the whole "no discussions in the pics thread" rule. Oh sure, I weild the sexy powers and could tell everyone to comment all they like, but that's not how we do it round these here parts. I'd like to get opinions from users and my fellow mods about possibly changing this rule to "no comments that could make a person feel uneasy". Now I know this is fairly loose, but we're not trying to rewrite the constitution here ;) but I think the mods could be trusted to interpret this in a way that would allow for discussion, but still let people feel comfortable posting pics of themselves (no pervin' basically ;) )

I think the best way to go about it would be "no discussion without a pic!"
    ie, if you don't post a picture of yourself you can't make comments about the photos of others. Yes convoluted.

• Advertisement

I agree with this.

Advertisement