Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Feedback

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

But there are only so many pics on oneself one has! It also means people look incredibly narcissistic (I've seen it on some of the other fora: "oh I hate posting pix of myself, I'm so unphotogenic! *posts pic of self in studio with soft lighting about ten times*)

How is one supposed to go "omg! where'd you get that skirt?" when one doesn't want to post a picture?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

bythewoods wrote: »
    I think the best way to go about it would be "no discussion without a pic!"
    ie, if you don't post a picture of yourself you can't make comments about the photos of others. Yes convoluted.

+1

Aye, methinks a few of the other forums do something similar.. it's basically "no pic, no post" but comments appear to be allowed provided they're not sleazy/offensive/etc and provided the member posts a picture.
    Piste wrote: »
    But there are only so many pics on oneself one has! It also means people look incredibly narcissistic (I've seen it on some of the other fora: "oh I hate posting pix of myself, I'm so unphotogenic! *posts pic of self in studio with soft lighting about ten times*)

How is one supposed to go "omg! where'd you get that skirt?" when one doesn't want to post a picture?!

..however, there is also this, I have very few photos of me lurking around, and even fewer that I'd want to post here.. so unless you get to recycle photos I'd run out pretty fast.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't really like the whole "no discussions in the pics thread" rule. Oh sure, I weild the sexy powers and could tell everyone to comment all they like, but that's not how we do it round these here parts. I'd like to get opinions from users and my fellow mods about possibly changing this rule to "no comments that could make a person feel uneasy". Now I know this is fairly loose, but we're not trying to rewrite the constitution here ;) but I think the mods could be trusted to interpret this in a way that would allow for discussion, but still let people feel comfortable posting pics of themselves (no pervin' basically ;) )

If you're still awake, feel free to amend the thread as needs be. :)
    If you're asleep, then I'll fix it to suit the new arrangement in a few hours time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I just wanted to offer some general feedback about this forum, and just say what I think about it.
    I've been wanting to do this now for a while, but I just never got aorund to it.

For the last few weeks I've been thinking about C+H and the topics that are discussed and the threads that we have (I started thinking about this before we got so busy). The thing that I was mainly thinking about was that the topics being discussed could be thrown into any other forum, that C+H isn't exactly special, though we do have the yaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh and arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh threads, also the Soundtrack to your Angst.
    Basically, I thought that C+H was just a bit silly and didn't have much point to it.
    As well as that, some ideas were "borrowed" from other forums, so I didn't think we'd be able to evolve and start our own topics.

BUT!

That's not the point of this forum. The point is that it's a place for the younger members of boards to come and talk and to discuss various things with people their own age. It took me a while to realise that, so I started to dislike the place sometimes.
    The Nocturnal forum serves a similar purpose, only it's for people who are awake really late, then there's BGRH, tLL and a few others around the place.

I really like that there's no particular topic that has to be discussed. We don't even discuss things that are necessarily related to teeens, it has fairly general discussions, which is lovely. Then of course there are tpics related to us young'uns.

So yeah, that's it.
    Thanks to the mods, who do a good job. Also, I think it's necessary to thank the guys who campaigned for this forum in the beginning, such as Insect and JKC, and of course to the admin who approved C+H.
    And to the other posters here, you guys are lovely!

I'll end it here before I start to sound even more gay and sappy :o

If you're still awake, feel free to amend the thread as needs be. :)
    If you're asleep, then I'll fix it to suit the new arrangement in a few hours time.

Well I don't want to be all barging in and saying "rule's changed!" maybe leave the suggestion up for a day or two and we can see what people think instead of me forcing my opinion onto everyone >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think it should be a "No Picture, No Post" thing. At that, no harsh criticism of pictures or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

jumpguy wrote: »
    I think it should be a "No Picture, No Post" thing. At that, no harsh criticism of pictures or anything.

same here.
    Because I remember some randomer (thats just one of those new posters that write something and never log back in type) and they commented on a C&Her's picture with something that was quite rude before it got deleted. And even if a mod does change it, the poster of the pic might still see it and be hurt like.
    But then again, thats just my opinion. We are talking about the no picture, no post thing in the know your *description thingy* thread, right? :o

edit: scratch that, bythewoods' idea is better now :P

same here.
    Because I remember some randomer (thats just one of those new posters that write something and never log back in type) and they commented on a C&Her's picture with something that was quite rude before it got deleted. And even if a mod does change it, the poster of the pic might still see it and be hurt like.
    But then again, thats just my opinion. We are talking about the no picture, no post thing in the know your *description thingy* thread, right? :o
    Yeah but I'd hope that when a person puts up a picture, they know it's only a matter of time before some troll comes into the forum and someone could post a rude comment and the pic poster could see it before it's deleted. Just remember that when you post up a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

same here.

Ya, I saw that post! Didn't really care though. Anyone who has to put someone else down to feel good about themselves is a douche, plain and simple.

same here.

As amazing and all as we mods are, that sort of stuff will happen whether we have a "no posts without a picture" rule or not. There will always be trolls saying nasty things, and while we're usually ninja enough to delete the posts, sometimes it's up long enough for users to see them. Just something to be aware of when you're posting pics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

No posting without at least one pic from you in the thread?

It's very specific sounding, but it could work.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I think Fad's above idea is the best version to be honest. If you're too afraid to be judged, then you damn sure shouldn't get to judge.
    Jay P wrote: »
    [snip]I'll end it here before I start to sound even more gay and sappy :o
    Bit too late for that to be honest!

Yes I like Fad's suggestion- nice work! What do people think of this? Just thank Fad's post if you agree, and if there's a decent amount of people I'll amend the rule.

Oh and my balaclava-clad picture totally counts.

Fad wrote: »
    No posting without at least one pic from you in the thread?

It's very specific sounding, but it could work.
    I got there first...:( But lets not be petty here...

Oh sorry, I thought you meant you wanted to keep the existing rule in place whereby each post has to have a picture, I misunderstood. I'll go back and thank your post if it makes you feel better :P

Oh sorry, I thought you meant you wanted to keep the existing rule in place whereby each post has to have a picture, I misunderstood. I'll go back and thank your post if it makes you feel better :P
    *coos*

I got there first...:( But lets not be petty here...

The suggestions arent the same though, or at least, that dont read the same (At all).

Fad wrote: »
    The suggestions arent the same though, or at least, that dont read the same (At all).
    <_< >_> It's okay man, I got the sympathy thanks.

<_< >_> It's okay man, I got the sympathy thanks.

This post will get one too :P

Ok seeing as a good few people have agreed with Fad and I haven't seen any major objections I'll go ahead and change to rule tomorrow, get your objections in here before then folks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No objections from me! I just copy/pasted rules from the Know Your Nerds thread... :cool:

Ok seeing as a good few people have agreed with Fad and I haven't seen any major objections I'll go ahead and change to rule tomorrow, get your objections in here before then folks!
    So you must have posted a picture of yourself somewhere in the thread, not in every one of your posts, before commenting on any other pic?

Ya, that makes the most sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

C&H is a great board, I like posting here and the users seems nice. But, I've noticed there's a lot of discussion about alcohol, smoking, and on occassion, drugs. They're discussed in a way that portrays them in an entirely subjective manner.

I know I'm a new user, and if ye don't agree with me then I'll just quietly leave this topic. But, from what I understand, Clearasil and Hormones is a board for teenagers, possibly the first stop for new young users. There are at least a hundred boards on here, but this must be the only one dedicated to young people. I personally don't think it's appropriate to be talking about things like alcohol here, at least not to the extent it is or the way it is. Young people these days are already under so much pressure with regards to these things, I think this place should be aimed very much so at the younger users, with a view to their pressing issues. If they wish to discuss the general idea of alcohol, by all means, but having the older users discussing their drunken nights out isn't really fair. There's lots of other boards, like After Hours, where that kind of discussion would be commonplace.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling now, but I hope I've gotten my point across. I don't mean to be pushy, being a new member here, I just wanted to say that.

Before anyone says it, yeah, I know him in real life, and no I am not agreeing with him for this reason. In fact I was mulling over how I would say this for a week or two now, but seeing as sycosised has gone first, I'll say it now.

I agree to an extent with what sycosised has said, and on the other hand I have another problem as well. Firstly, I think the discussion of alcohol is a bit inappropriate here, with such a young user base, and even though, yes it is the young adult forum, it isn't JUST the young adult forum and as such the older folk here need to be appropriate and yes, shockingly, a bit more mature.

Speaking of maturity, some posts in Insect Overlord's "Playpen" thread were just plain silly. And not in a funny way. I was going to report some of them but it was dealt with in the end and justly too, I feel. But unfortunately it doesn't end in there. In particular, some of the posters in "It's half 4..." go way overboard for a teen and young adult forum. I have held off reporting, but I shan't anymore.

I'm starting to sound like a conservative 40 year old here, but that's not who I am in the slightest. I am incredibly liberal in thinking, but there's a time and a place, and for some posts, I feel this forum is not the place.

/rant :)

Syncosised, I'm going to talk to the other mods about your comment before giving a full response here. Thanks for bringing it up, and hopefully we'll have an answer for you in the next 24-48 hours.

(Piste, KnifeWRENCH, anyone else with access: link to thread here)

D4RK ONION, I dealt with the issues in the Playpen thread as well as I could at the time, and I'll be keeping a close eye on further editions to make sure none of that crap is repeated in future.
    As for the 4:30 a.m. thread, I've posted there a fair bit myself, but I totally agree that a lot of it is inappropriate. I'll see what can be done, but it could end up just getting locked or moved if it can't be rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I have to say after reading the above I kinda agree, although I'm almost certainly one of the guilty parties, never really thought about that ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Going to have to agree with the guys here (and I don't even know either of them in real life! :p). As they say, it's a teenage forum first and foremost (god, saying that makes me feel so old :/), and it's meant to include everyone. Even for that reason alone, the aforementioned discussions are unfair/inappropriate. I don't see in any harm in discussing alcohol or anything else for that matter once it's not in an "OMG I was so hammered last night LOLZ" etc etc. As D4RK ONION said, we could maybe try to be a bit more mature about it? :P

I'll add to this when I have a proper think about it, but seeing the guys post here reminded me of it.

D4RK ONION, I dealt with the issues in the Playpen thread as well as I could at the time, and I'll be keeping a close eye on further editions to make sure none of that crap is repeated in future.

Insect, I know it was dealt with, and it was dealt with well, especially as it was your own thread. ;) I was only using that as an example, it was the culmination of a growing trend tbh. And I'm glad to know your eye will be watching because, I'll say this now everyone in the nicest way I can, I will not answer any stupidity. (silliness will be answered with great pleasure :D)

I agree with alot of what Onion has said, tbh some parts of the Play-Pen thread were definetly out of line.

As for the alcohol, as Aoibheann said, I think it's okay to discuss a night out, as long as getting too drunk and being irresponsible isn't glorified (which it shouldn't, not here anyway).

• Advertisement

Agree here, There is far too much conversations about alcohol here. Being someone who has not yet gone "knacker" drinking or having experienced being drunk so has no experience of this. (i am given small amounts of drink by my parents here and there and I much prefer experiencing drink in these circumsances than in a field somewhere). I have never noticed posts relating to drugs/smoking before though.

Advertisement