Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fad wrote: »
    I really doubt I'll ever be that arsed to bother going to another thread purely to comment about a photo someone posted.

You can keep posting comments in the photographs thread. I'll just move them to the other thread after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

Is that not just creating a whole load of work for you, which isn't entirely necessary?

Whole thing seems entirely superfluous to me. It's a pictures thread, making some form of comment on the pictures is part of the whole thing, in my mind. If it descends into general chat, that's not really what the thread's about, but having any comments at all made, being moved to a whole other thread just makes everything a bit messy, and more than a little incoherent.

I wouldn't be arsed going to the other thread to post a comment, and unless someone referred to a comment made in the other thread, I probably wouldn't ever remember to go and like, read it. It just seems really awkward. Seeing how it works sounds fine, but if it ends up just being IO moving posts over all the time, that's not really my definition of it working. Then it just becomes a recycle bin, or like, somewhere to put the stuff some people don't want to delete but don't actually want [at least in the main thread] either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Just so people know, I suggested it just as an idea. I didn't really think it'd be implemented straight away. I thought there'd be more 'feedback' before any decision was made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I dunno, this isn't the first time something like this has come up, there's a current issue in another forum that is quite like this whole thing to my mind......

ie overthinking things and adding rules for purely the sake of adding rules.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can easily merge the threads back together again if this experiment doesn't work out.

Anyone who's bored enough to check it out, take a look at the photographs thread in the Limerick City Forum at the moment. It's a disaster. The OP himself doesn't even have a picture in it. The guy made up some rules and then broke all of them himself. And, because it was derailed before I got mah mod powahs, there' nothing I can do to fix it >.<

I don't want our one going as bad as that, but I'd like people to enjoy it too. That's where feedback comes in useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

The main issue with comments from what I could see was that some people were just being weird and stalkery with some of the pictures. Granted they could just be deleted should things get bad again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Just to point out,it wasn't really an ongoing problem[for me anyway] just the latest bouts of stalking >.> and msn/facebook style 1 sentence posts were a bit much.Saying that some of the comebacks and comments have lost their epicness with the split.

IO if you like/don't mind moving comments/posts it's grand,but whatever flow and bumps the thread was getting will surely fall if it's nothing but pictures.

IO if you like/don't mind moving comments/posts it's grand,but whatever flow and bumps the thread was getting will surely fall if it's nothing but pictures.

Just my opinion, but wasn't the thread was only ever really bumped when pictures were posted?
    And also, getting the thread bumped isn't the point of the thread. I think there's one thread where bumping matters....

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Hello there.

I'm going to throw an idea out here, if you like it you can take it, if you don't send it right back...

The "Never Have I Ever thread" needs to die.

Yes, I, most well known of thanks whores around these parts want this thread to fall into a big hole and never come back.

It is being used solely to abuse the thanks system rather than actually contribute, and it belongs in The Cuckoo's nest so bad, I can actually hear Sarky crying for it.

Please, for the love of all that is good... please move that thread to tCN or close it... please :(

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Hello there.

I'm going to throw an idea out here, if you like it you can take it, if you don't send it right back...

Yes, I, most well known of thanks whores around these parts want this thread to fall into a big hole and never come back.

It is being used solely to abuse the thanks system rather than actually contribute, and it belongs in The Cuckoo's nest so bad, I can actually hear Sarky crying for it.

Please, for the love of all that is good... please move that thread to tCN of close it... please :(

Well, I'll second this, but moving it to tCN wouldn't make a whole lot of sense since there's no thanks there. Instead, locking it would be a good idea... It was fun for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I echo this statement.

A vast majority of the posts are purely for thanks whoring. "Never Have I Ever seen so many thanks in C&H" and variations has cropped up a few times now.

Personally I don't think it's bringing anything to the forum. I was opposed to the idea from the start and it's just getting worse and worse in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I agree, artificially inflated thanks count are no fun.

For the record I genuinely didn't think many people would have done what I haven't. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I would let it run for a bit longer. It is a fun thread and it isn't causing any harm.

EDIT: Thanks whoring is becoming a problem but most of them are serious comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Hello there.

Please, for the love of all that is good... please move that thread to tCN or close it... please :(

He's only looking for thanks really :P

Ah no, think it's had it's run tbh. Not as effective when most people won't admit to the outrageous stuff which makes the drinking game fun, which they obviously won't among internet strangers.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I would let it run for a bit longer. It is a fun thread and it isn't causing any harm.

Then let it run in tCN where there's no thanks and you can enjoy it for the good wholesome fun that it is. I mean, if it's fun you don't mind about all those silly thanks right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Then let it run in tCN where there's no thanks and you can enjoy it for the good wholesome fun that it is. I mean, if it's fun you don't mind about all those silly thanks right?

How would you know who's done what though? :confused:

Kill it,kill it with fire.

It was a laugh at the start,but it IS just thanks whoring now.It's meant to be a drinking game with a bit of scandal and banter thrown in,it wears out pretty quick anyway.

Also,if someone tries to start a game of Kings in C&H I will leave Boards forever and facepalm

How would you know who's done what though? :confused:

You wouldn't, which is why it should just be locked!
    Kill it,kill it with fire.

It was a laugh at the start,but it IS just thanks whoring now.It's meant to be a drinking game with a bit of scandal and banter thrown in,it wears out pretty quick anyway.

Also,if someone tries to start a game of Kings in C&H I will leave Boards forever and facepalm

Kings? How would that work?....

• Advertisement

The point of the game is to see who has done what though which is fair enough. Posting that you've done it takes up a stupid amount of space and wouldn't exactly be coherent.

Basically, the game works IRL but not so much on a forum. IMO it should be locked - there's been quite a few inappropriate responses deleted already and the vast majority of other posts are just stupid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I like it...
    Can we not just not thank it or something :confused:
    I know that ruins the point of the game, but its act kinda interesting! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I agree with DO. I know myself and the thanks system have had our days, but that is a bit of a monstrosity.

Lock it.

Lock it now.

And remember kids, always give in to peer-pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Personally, I thought the thread was a good, fun idea. Abuse of the thanks system was kinda inevitable though. It's a shame, as I honestly don't believe the OP was looking for any sort of thankswhoring thing and just wanted to introduce a bit of fun.
    eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    ^ That's a fair enough reason to lock it though.

BTW, the ironing (of posts in this thread giving out about thankswhores being thanked) is just too delicious! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you're going to lock it on grounds of thanks whoring, why not lock the yaaah, and argh threads too? Probably the only other threads in the forum generating quite a high amount of thanks....

"I got a new kitty"

*EVERYONE THANKS*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

People really care about getting thanked in posts?

Seriously?

If you're going to lock it on grounds of thanks whoring, why not lock the yaaah, and argh threads too? Probably the only other threads in the forum generating quite a high amount of thanks....

"I got a new kitty"

*EVERYONE THANKS*

Those threads didn't have the same proportion of removed vulgar posts. Also, posts in those threads have stimulated some great discussions over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Craguls wrote: »
    People really care about getting thanked in posts?

Seriously?

AH is the worst place for this imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Those threads didn't have the same proportion of removed vulgar posts. Also, posts in those threads have stimulated some great discussions over the last few months.
    I missed ALL of these. Locking it probably was the right decision though tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I really liked the thread, but tbf post of the day is meant to be witty(yes I love AH's post of the days!) or helpful..
    If this thread got it it'd be kinda meh..

But I liked that thread :/

• Advertisement

Don't see what "vulgar" posts have to do with thanks whoring. Two completely unrelated issues.

Don't see what "vulgar" posts have to do with thanks whoring. Two completely unrelated issues.

It doesn't have anything to do with thanks whoring - it's just another reason why the thread was locked. The stupid proportions of thanks was only one contributing factor to the lock, not the sole reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

"I got a new kitty"

*EVERYONE THANKS*

Because it's possible that not everyone is thanks whoring/cares whether or not their post is thanked? They may just be happy that they got a new cat....

I really only post in yah or argh, and my posts are never the most insightful of posts but I don't post there to be thanked, I post there because I has a happy/sad/whatever (Other people do contribute much slightly more valuable posts to be fair...). Lots of forums have rant/bitch/moan threads and What made you happy/smile/etc today type threads...

They are two of the most posted in threads, taking them away would just result in The Den being flooded in WAH/YAH posts anyway, I imagine....

Because it's possible that not everyone is thanks whoring/cares whether or not their post is thanked? They may just be happy that they got a new cat....

I really only post in yah or argh, and my posts are never the most insightful of posts but I don't post there to be thanked, I post there because I has a happy/sad/whatever (Other people do contribute much slightly more valuable posts to be fair...). Lots of forums have rant/bitch/moan threads and What made you happy/smile/etc today type threads...

They are two of the most posted in threads, taking them away would just result in The Den being flooded in WAH/YAH posts anyway, I imagine....

^ This exactly.

No one forces anyone to thank their posts after all.

Hotaru wrote: »
    ^ This exactly.

No one forces anyone to thank their posts after all.

No one forced anyone to thank posts in the Never ever thread either. It's suggested that you do that, but there's nobody forcing your mouse over the thanks button....

I've read it a few times, didn't really thank anything.

Seriously think you all took things a little too seriously on this one.

Seriously think you all took things a little too seriously on this one.

This I don't agree with. Everyone on C&H is entitled to their opinion on the way the forum works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

"I got a new kitty"

*EVERYONE THANKS*

After a few posts it seemed like thanks was the only reason for the threads existence though, yaaah and aaargh usually generate some proper discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

..I miss that thread now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

"Thanks" politics.

*backs away from boards*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I liked the thread, I'd be all for reopening it with two major rules: 1)No posting obvious things for thanks whoring, e.g. "never have I ever used the internet". 2)No unacceptable vulgarity- this would be at the mods' discretion. You'd have to trust us to get the right balance between "a bit of banter" and "totally inappropriate". Of course people will disagree with us as to what constitutes vulgarity above an acceptable level, but they'd be free to discuss it with us through PM or on Feedback- not on the thread.

• Advertisement

Piste wrote: »
    I liked the thread, I'd be all for reopening it with two major rules: 1)No posting obvious things for thanks whoring, e.g. "never have I ever used the internet". 2)No unacceptable vulgarity- this would be at the mods' discretion. You'd have to trust us to get the right balance between "a bit of banter" and "totally inappropriate". Of course people will disagree with us as to what constitutes vulgarity above an acceptable level, but they'd be free to discuss it with us through PM or on Feedback- not on the thread.

Unfortunately. there's no way to decide what is thanks whoring and what is not. As I've said a few times, if you wanted to do it for the craic of the thread, move it to tCN.

Piste wrote: »
    Of course people will disagree with us as to what constitutes vulgarity above an acceptable level, but they'd be free to discuss it with us through PM or on Feedback- not on the thread.
    How....if a post is deleted, I don't see how it's up for discussion - because we can't see what we're supposedly meant to be discussing...

If you mean infractions, IIRC there's no way for mods to reverse them in vbulletin...
    Unfortunately. there's no way to decide what is thanks whoring and what is not. As I've said a few times, if you wanted to do it for the craic of the thread, move it to tCN.

How many times does it have to be said - There is no thanks in tCN.

Jesus. Anything for a bit of craic has to be moved to tCN? :rolleyes:

I have to agree with challengemaster's last point, there's no practical way of making that thread work in tCN.

However, there is the option of the FlirTar forum. Risqué posts would be most welcome there too... >_>

However, there is the option of the FlirTar forum. Risqué posts would be most welcome there too... >_>

:eek:

Please put it there, Tar would actually have a field day :pac:

Hotaru wrote: »
    :eek:

Please put it there, Tar would actually have a field day :pac:

I'll send him/her a message first. Just to make sure it's okay like ;)

edit:

The system works! \o/

I hadn't even thought of that!
    Well done on that little stroke of genius. :D

\o/ for the existence of Tar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I may sound incredibly stupid asking this question but what's the difference with flirtar and other forums, outta curiousity? :o

I may sound incredibly stupid asking this question but what's the difference with flirtar and other forums, outta curiousity? :o

Flirtar is a wonderful place where you flirt with the magnificent specimen of man/woman (no-one truly knows which) that is Tar.Aldarion! :D

• Advertisement

"I got a new kitty"

*EVERYONE THANKS*
    Well by this logic most of AH should be locked

*OP*

*witty response*
    (thank ~20 times)

and then maybe some discussion continues.At least with Yaah it can generate some discussion and argh has its moments as well ,it spawned the short lived animal rights thingy a while back for one thing

Advertisement