Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forum Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Well by this logic most of AH should be locked
    That's the point of AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Jesus. Anything for a bit of craic has to be moved to tCN? :rolleyes:

Right. So one thread was moved, and that means any bit of fun here is going to be moved? It wasn't moved because it was a bit of craic. It was moved because of deliberate thanks whoring.
    That's the point of AH.

I'd imagine 90% of regulars in AH would disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

That thread would have been locked fairly soon in the AH, it would have got way out of hand there.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yes I agree. Also, loving the new sig there unknown ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Yes I agree. Also, loving the new sig there unknown ;)

I would like to thank Brummytom for the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

unknown13 wrote: »
    I would like to thank Brummytom for the idea.

uh-ooohh.

Ah, the thread has been moved to a forum where Tar, the lovely mod will love it and cherish it forever :) I'm quite content with that decision because I enjoyed the thread myself and found/find it funny.
    Amen to that bro'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't think we could know for sure which is thanks whoring and which isn't, but I din't think it really matters. If someone posts something particularly salacious and gets loads of thanks, then whatever. However if somebody posts something everyone does like "never have I ever drank water" then they'd be infracted and their post deleted. It's not like anyone takes the thanks system that seriously anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Piste wrote: »
    It's not like anyone takes the thanks system that seriously anyway.
    Haha...I have more thanks posts than Piste.

*runs*

In all seriousness though, I stand by my original decision. Perhaps the lock was a bit hasty though. The other side of the debate were a bit late on the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

jumpguy wrote: »
    Haha...I have more thanks posts than Piste.

*runs*

In all seriousness though, I stand by my original decision. Perhaps the lock was a bit hasty though. The other side of the debate were a bit late on the table.

Haha, I am even dustier than thou.

Also wasn't even locked in the end anyway, it was moved once a suitable forum for it was found :P.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The "Never Have I Ever" thread has been reopened and moved to the most appropriate forum for it. I think it's time to move on now, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ok, so a few wires were crossed tonight in relation to the Thanks system.

Whether there has been abuse of the thanks system or not is irrelevant; just please don't anyone let it cause any bother in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

With the start of college there seems to be an increase in the number of people posting drunk on C&H. I don't mean to be a buzzkill at all at all, and yes, many of the posts are amusing BUT come on guys, there's a lot of people under 18 reading this forum. We have regulars as young as 14 or 15 and tbh, all the drunk posting is not exactly setting a good example for them.

As well as that, it gets a bit boring (I speak from the perspective of a former drinker) reading about people's plans to get hammered etc. tonight. The next morning all we have is posts about hangovers and how drunk people were. Grand, moan about it, whatever - the nonsensical drunk posts are still the worst offenders but does so much talk have to be alcohol orientated?

We all know it was a struggle to get this forum going and personally, I don't want to see something like this bring the tone down - we're not all drunkards so do we really have to act like our lives are centered around alcohol?

I'm not sure exactly how to deal with this sort of chat - it'd be stupid and unrealistic to attempt to cut it all out but a reduction is certainly needed if the last few weeks are anything to go by.

Hotaru wrote: »
    With the start of college there seems to be an increase in the number of people posting drunk on C&H. I don't mean to be a buzzkill at all at all, and yes, many of the posts are amusing BUT come on guys, there's a lot of people under 18 reading this forum. We have regulars as young as 14 or 15 and tbh, all the drunk posting is not exactly setting a good example for them.

As well as that, it gets a bit boring (I speak from the perspective of a former drinker) reading about people's plans to get hammered etc. tonight. The next morning all we have is posts about hangovers and how drunk people were. Grand, moan about it, whatever - the nonsensical drunk posts are still the worst offenders but does so much talk have to be alcohol orientated?

We all know it was a struggle to get this forum going and personally, I don't want to see something like this bring the tone down - we're not all drunkards so do we really have to act like our lives are centered around alcohol?

I'm not sure exactly how to deal with this sort of chat - it'd be stupid and unrealistic to attempt to cut it all out but a reduction is certainly needed if the last few weeks are anything to go by.

Indeed, I don't particularly mind people posting drunkenly, it can be amusing, but tbh a lot of it is "loy;l ikm sp wsteed" or "Look how much I drank tonight/last night".
    If you can't type properly or have nothing to say apart from bragging about how much you drank there's really no point posting.

And tbh I admit to being guilty of stupid drunken posting in the past, so I'm aware it's a bit hypocritical ("in the past" meaning nowadays it's mostly moved to IRC >.>)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I set up a system a few months ago for deleting stupid posts and archiving them in a hidden thread. I think I'm going to have to revive that thread and reinforce it as a rule. Some of the gibberish posted, such as that last night, does not add anything of value to the forum at all.

I'll wait and see what my co-mods have to say about it, but I think blanket deletion of drunken ramblings is the only effective solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Can there be a rule against complaining about hangovers if you made a post the previous night about going drinking? In fairness lads, not getting hangovers seems to be the least expected result. :pac:

Seriously though I don't like the drunken ramblings either as they're not really funny and sometimes seem a little exaggerated for the sake of effect. I'd prefer to wake up to read witty anecdotes and friendly chat as opposed to ridiculous spelling mistakes that could only result from keyboard mashing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I agree with everything that's been said above. I know I've done it the odd time, but I try not to. I'll leave my laptop well away from my room from now on.
    I think something that is forgotten a lot is how young some people are in here, as they're all a lot more mature than you'd think a 14/15 year old would be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I set up a system a few months ago for deleting stupid posts and archiving them in a hidden thread. I think I'm going to have to revive that thread and reinforce it as a rule. Some of the gibberish posted, such as that last night, does not add anything of value to the forum at all.

I'll wait and see what my co-mods have to say about it, but I think blanket deletion of drunken ramblings is the only effective solution.
    Hidden thread needs to be shown at some stage. >_>

Yea guys, I agree with everything ye've said here so far. I didn't aim the rant at any person in particular either and I do admit that many of the drunken posts are amusing - at least when the person is capable of forming a fairly coherent sentence anyway. Shíte that is illegible is not really entertaining.

Also, as Davidius says, a yaaaaaah about "Getting hammered tonight lads" followed by a an arrrrrrrrgh of "Was sooooo drunk last night - threw up everywhere and lost all my belongings" etc. etc. is just annoying... like, what did ye expect? :p

ths nonssense haasx to sto[p.

Because non-drunken posts of this legibility are worse than txt-speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Well the way I see it is, if a person is capable enough to turn on their computer, enter their password, then log onto boards, they should be capable enough to write something other than "jazshdsa skdsdu ekowuieuwi?" and expect people to understand it! It's not exactly that difficult to NOT post on boards while drunk, or to just try and type in a somewhat readable manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I was just going to raise this exact issue a while back but I didn't want to seem like a party pooper! Thanks Hotaru for talking the plunge. It's good to know others feel the same way. It just doesn't feel right having too much of the discussion centred around alcohol. There's a lot of talk of underage drinking here too. Personally, I'm not too comfortable with younger teenagers and alcohol, as well as the whole binge drinking culture that is college life, so seeing it all very heavily mentioned in here just kind of doesn't sit right with me.

There's so much mature discussion that takes place in here, so many threads on so many different issues and countless well written arguments and opinions. It's just a shame to see in the same place how heavy a presence alcohol has in the majority of teenagers' lives. Like I know it is a part of life and all that but there's been an awful lot of talk about drink in here lately. And sometimes there's almost a celebration of drunkeness. I sound like such a killjoy, I like to have as much of a laugh as the next person at a funny alcohol fuelled post, but in thanking drunken stuff and quoting and all that, it's almost encouraging our younger posters towards alcohol and its excessive consumption. I know most people here have drank, no matter what their age, and know well the craic that come with alcohol but there's a bad side to it too. I just think this place could do without drunken posts for the lulz and excessive chat centred around drink when there are so so many underagers here. I'm not denying anybody the right to talk about alcohol but like, tone it down a bit. I hope that all reads ok and ye get my drift.

I know it seems like I'm always the one going against the grain here, but there's two sides to every debate...
    If people at 14/15 can't make their own decisions about things without being heavily influenced by what some anonymous person said on an internet forum..... There's something seriously wrong there.

I think this sums things up perfectly.
    5015458218_62933d8ce9_o.jpg

Yes, you know it was a struggle to get the forum set up. That's well and good, but what's the point in setting up a forum for teenagers, and then censoring everything they put on the forum? Teens drink, hell, probably most of the 14-15 year olds you're on about drink. I'm not condoning it, but I can acknowledge that it happens. Trying to censor it and pretend it doesn't happen is silly, you can't just take the ostrich approach on life.

I think, if teens drink and it's a part of teenage lifestyle, then why the hell should it not be included in the forum? It's not a pioneer club. If you don't drink, fair play, thats your choice, you're entitled to it. Doesn't mean just because you don't, that others can't talk about it if they do. It doesn't work that way.
    Pygmalion wrote: »
    Indeed, I don't particularly mind people posting drunkenly, it can be amusing, but tbh a lot of it is "loy;l ikm sp wsteed" or "Look how much I drank tonight/last night".
    If you can't type properly or have nothing to say apart from bragging about how much you drank there's really no point posting.

And tbh I admit to being guilty of stupid drunken posting in the past, so I'm aware it's a bit hypocritical ("in the past" meaning nowadays it's mostly moved to IRC >.>)
    This I'd agree with, in fairness.

Why does something always have to add value to the forum? Seriously? Where's the harm in a bit of craic being had. Sure, drunken posts may not be the most heartfelt posts in the world, or the most insightful, but IMO they do add a bit of craic around the place, can bring about a smile, and make the place a little bit more fun. Is that not enough?
    Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Well the way I see it is, if a person is capable enough to turn on their computer, enter their password, then log onto boards, they should be capable enough to write something other than "jazshdsa skdsdu ekowuieuwi?" and expect people to understand it! It's not exactly that difficult to NOT post on boards while drunk, or to just try and type in a somewhat readable manner.
    I could get into technicalities here - one user computer / no password, boards logged in full-time, bookmarks, etc.... but I won't bother. There are ways around these things but either way, posting a nonsense string of characters is pure bull in fairness, I won't disagree with that.
    ohthebaby wrote: »
    I was just going to raise this exact issue a while back but I didn't want to seem like a party pooper! Thanks Hotaru for talking the plunge. It's good to know others feel the same way. It just doesn't feel right having too much of the discussion centred around alcohol. There's a lot of talk of underage drinking here too. Personally, I'm not too comfortable with younger teenagers and alcohol, as well as the whole binge drinking culture that is college life, so seeing it all very heavily mentioned in here just kind of doesn't sit right with me.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but don't force it on everyone else. This is what I don't like about the world today - people can't let their opinion be their own. (I'm not directing this specifically at you, btw :) ) Because of 1 person, everything has to be completely PC and if it's not, OMG teh outrage.
    I'm not denying anybody the right to talk about alcohol but like, tone it down a bit. I hope that all reads ok and ye get my drift.

Which is why I appreciate the not denying thing :)

The way it goes is - Freshers (all go on at similar but slightly different times - may be a week or two between) will always have slightly more than usual posts about drinking etc, everyone goes out most nights....it's just what happens.

RAG week, again, another spike...

After Christmas Exams, etc etc etc.

You get the idea, there'll always be certain periods where drinking will spike more than usual, and to not expect it to be posted about is silly. It's a part of peoples lives, it's somewhat topical, like it or not, you can't censor life.

Just my opinion - and incase anyone gets the impression that I'm some opinionated alco or some such, I've always been fairly against drinking until last year, so I feel my opinion is anything BUT biased.

Fair enough points challengemaster - and I don't advocate censoring all drunken posts or whatever - but I just wanted to bring the issue to the attention of the posters so that they might think twice about posting some nonsensical shít or whatever.

There was a discussion here around January regarding the exact same issue - it's a few pages back in this thread - and many people felt the same way regarding the increase of drunken posting and/or posts relating to how fúcked someone is planning to get or whatever. I'm just bringing it to the fore again.

I don't think we should pretend none of us drink, or that underage/binge drinking doesn't happen, but we should be able to promote a mature attitude to alcohol.

And of course we all know it's quite easy to type legibly when drunk. So maybe we could do with a bit more of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Oh, I thought it was just me who thought there was way more drink talk than normal... In fairness, I don't have some sort of moral objection to it (far from it), I just don't really see why people feel the need to share every detail of their kerazy drunken antics, then act like the hangover the next day was completely unexpected. I don't aim that at anyone in particular, it annoys me IRL too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

As someone guilty of drunkenly posting inane and illegible ****e on here recently (I could contend that I was using a netbook and wasn't very used to the keys but that doesn't excuse the overall incomprehensibility of the post), I'd argue that drunken posting is generally grand if it's decipherable and isn't of the 'i'm sooo wasted' variety. Posts like the one I made a few nights ago are a bit stupid though so I apologize for exposing you all to such crap. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'd have to agree with pretty much everything challengemaster said, and he said it better than I could so I won't type it all out again.

We've always had a strict policy where it's unacceptable to encourage any underage users to drink alcohol illegally. Discussion of where underagers can buy drink or get fake IDs has also always been forbidden.

As long as those rules are enforced, I don't think there is much of a problem. If anyone feels that a post involving alcohol (be it drunk gibberish or someone mentioning "OMG I'M WASTED LOL" way too much) is unacceptable or problematic, then report it and it will be dealt with. That's pretty much all we can do, other than to ban discussion of alcohol completely. And I'm sure no-one wants that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

I love how the drunken ramblings debate started the day after I posted mine...I think...:(

:pac:

It was Freshers Week, it ain't happening again for a long long time from me anyway, trust me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Dunno if this has been raised before, but has anyone else noticed that the age profile of the forum seems to be getting older and that this somewhat explains the increase in discussion of getting/posting while drunk?

Maybe it's just me but it seemed like a ton of posters were sitting the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert in previous years but there don't seem to be that many due to sit them in 2011. Apologies if I'm forgetting anyone.

• Advertisement

Dunno if this has been raised before, but has anyone else noticed that the age profile of the forum seems to be getting older and that this somewhat explains the increase in discussion of getting/posting while drunk?

Maybe it's just me but it seemed like a ton of posters were sitting the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert in previous years but there don't seem to be that many due to sit them in 2011. Apologies if I'm forgetting anyone.

Quite a lot, actually. Most posters here are 15 up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I think so too, whenever I started posting I remember most people were talking about school, I think theres more college posting now? Maybe I just only paid attention to the school related stuff back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You're all getting old!!!!

*cackles evilly*

Quite a lot, actually. Most posters here are 15 up.

No, most regulars here are 18/19 up and in college at this point. It's become more like Colleges and Hangovers than Clearasil and Hormones at this point!

No, most regulars here are 18/19 up and in college at this point. It's become more like Colleges and Hangovers than Clearasil and Hormones at this point!

But [latex]People_{\geq15} \subset People_{\geq18/19}[/latex] tbh, so he's right

Clearasil & Hormones: the ONLY forum where feedback is given in Maths. :cool:

• Advertisement

Nah aww, I'm pretty sure the amount of posters under 18 is equal/higher to those 18 and over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Nah aww, I'm pretty sure the amount of posters under 18 is equal/higher to those 18 and over.

Regulars? No way!

You're all getting old!!!!

*cackles evilly*
    Don't worry, you're still the oldest :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

But [latex]People_{\geq15} \supset People_{\geq18/19}[/latex] tbh, so he's right
    There ya go!

Oh God I hope I didn't just fail set theory

But [latex]People_{\geq15} \subset People_{\geq18/19}[/latex] tbh, so he's right

I don't know what that c thing means so I don't know if your post is serious or not. :P

• Advertisement

I think it means "sub-set". Anyway, this is no longer feedback. Take it to the Den!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Don't worry, you're still the oldest :p
    On my birth cert, perhaps ...

Sometimes I feel a lot younger than some of you! >_>

Age is a state of mind tbh.

Yes, IO, I'm going, I'm going!!

Have a wee lil bit of feedback, guys, and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular and y'know, I'm a prime culprit myself... but... I think 'cause so many of the regulars here know each other so well that it's kinda difficult for noobz to feel included.

Sometimes I read threads and posts of people who don't post here very often can be ignored a bit and Iunno. Just thought I'd bring it up, 'cause a while ago in the Ladies Lounge we had a feedback thread and so many people came out and said they were scared to post 'cause it was a bit intimidating. It'd suck for people to feel similar towards C&H 'cause everyone really is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

Novella wrote: »
    Have a wee lil bit of feedback, guys, and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular and y'know, I'm a prime culprit myself... but... I think 'cause so many of the regulars here know each other so well that it's kinda difficult for noobz to feel included.

Sometimes I read threads and posts of people who don't post here very often can be ignored a bit and Iunno. Just thought I'd bring it up, 'cause a while ago in the Ladies Lounge we had a feedback thread and so many people came out and said they were scared to post 'cause it was a bit intimidating. It'd suck for people to feel similar towards C&H 'cause everyone really is lovely.

Yeah I notice this sometimes. A lot of you of you do seem to know each in real life which can make it a bit daunting sometimes when posting. However that can't really be helped, people are obviously gonna pay more atention to posts from people they know. But I guess keeping the n00bz in mind now and then could definitely help!

But that said, everyone here really does make a massive effort to include n00bz and make everyone feel welcome, more than other board/forum I've ever been on:) <3 C&Hers:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Example.
    Ok, so as I'm just laying in my bed looking through my NUIG prospectus, I actually just thought about the college and all the lectures i was at and stuff. And as amazing as it was, I don't think I'm quite ready to go to college, prepare for it or anything like that. I know it's like a year away but a year does fly and I feel really young :/ and a year out isn't really a choice.

And I'm scared I'll make the wrong course choice and end up hating myself for it. God! frown.gif it's 3 in the morning though so maybe i'm just overthinking this.
    Bonito wrote: »
    Don't worry. You have a lot of options. If you don't know what you want to do or even have a bland idea of what sort of area you want to be in, do a PLC.

Heck, do a PLC in something crazy that you never thought would be an option. Explore every option and take every chance that's laid in front of you.
    ^^^^^ Didn't get noticed, posted 1st.
    If you want something at the time, it's not the wrong choice. Okay, maybe a year later, it will be but that's alright. You can drop outta college, you can start over, you can transfer. Don't ever be scared of making wrong decisions... 'cause that's kinda how you know in the end that the right really is right.
    And you won't hate yourself. S'gonna be fine. smile.gif
    ^^^^^ Did get noticed.

/runs away. :pac: :D:D:D

I agree with what Novella is saying but I just wanted to add that we were ALL n00bs once. I only started posting in C&H in February of this year, knowing no one at all on this forum but I found everyone very accomodating and look, I'm one of the "in" crowd now (in respect that I know a lot of C&Hers IRL - purely cause I've made gone to meet ups, talked to people outside of boards.ie and that sort of malarkey).

So for n00bs I say keep posting! I genuinely don't believe that anyone here ignores other users on purpose, just because they don't know their username or know them IRL or whatever. Not everyone here knows each other and consider many posters whom I've never met, to be friends of mine! Or people I can talk to, whatever :p

So IMO, I don't think anyone here excludes anyone else intentionally but it IS something we can all be more aware of :)

Oh god, yeah, no one intentionally excludes anyone! I'm just saying it can be hard to start posting in a forum where from the outside it looks like everyone's really good friends already etc.

I would say this (and it's not to pimp the channel :P) but our IRC channel is a nice way to meet some of the regular people from this forum in a quieter, less easy to be unnoticed way. :)

I would say this (and it's not to pimp the channel :P) but our IRC channel is a nice way to meet some of the regular people from this forum in a quieter, less easy to be unnoticed way. :)

Tbh, sometimes IRC is really daunting. 'Cause it's used by regulars, there are a lot of in jokes and it is easy to feel left out.

I'm not having a go at anyone. I love this forum, and IRC is usually really fun, and I was made feel really welcome here but then again, I had my blog and I sorta got to know C&H-er's through that and their blogs, more than the actual forum.

It's just so important to be aware of noobz, and not let their posts become lost in a sea of regulars having a chat. That's all.

So nice and yet you're not using it? ;_;

• Advertisement
Advertisement