Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamster Help

Options
  • 09-12-2009 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

our little hamster Frankie died on Monday, went into see him after work Monday evening and he was just lying beside his wheel. :(

Dont know what happened him, we only had him 5 months, have never had a hamster before and I just hope it wasnt something we done (or didnt do) that caused this. He was a Robrovski hamster.

Just basically wondering if I could get some advise from other, more experienced Hamster owners? I did read up on hamster care but I guess I trust first hand experience of you guys more. I find that there are so many conflicting opinions and its hard to know what to do. If we decide to get another one in a few months I want to be better prepared, not getting one before xmas would be too busy at home, but would like to get one in a few months. He was a great lil guy.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Sorry about your little hammie :-(

Sometimes these things happen, some hammies are also not well bred and can have underlying health issues.

Hamsters in general suffer from more obvious symptoms like they can get tumours and wet tail and things like that, a less obvious illness could be a respiratory one.

Things to check when getting a new hammie.

Avoid draughts and direct sunlight.
    Well ventilated housing.
    Avoid using sprays and scented candles and plug ins in the same room.
    Avoid sitting room or living areas where there's an open fire or solid fuel stove.
    Avoid woodchips..although this won't necissarily make a hammie ill it can cause itching and irritation to some hammies esp. around their noses.
    Carefresh bedding is great for hamsters.
    Only use hamster safe chew toys.
    Use hamster safe cleaners (vinegar is best) and only put hammie back in once it's well dry.
    Avoid open wheels ie wheels with gaps, they can cause leg injuries.
    Try and buy a hammie from a reputable breeder rather than many of the pet shops.

That's just some tips although you may have done all that already.

Don't be too hard on yourself doubt it was anything you did wrong it's just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Thanks for that, we used the wood shavings at first but seemed to get eye infections so switched to a different one, it was made from recycled paper I think not sure of the name.

Maybe it was just one of those things, we did get him from a petshop. where do I get info on better breeders?

thanks for your help!

Advertisement