Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating Advice

Options
  • 09-12-2009 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here so hopefully you can help.

I live in a house that is 30years old and this winter even with the heat on in the morning afternoon and evenings i still find the house is cold, maybe its just myself but i dont think so. We only got a new boiler in over August 2008 and we are due to get this serviced this month but that had made no difference. What i am planning on doing is first off that it would be a good idea to get new insulation for the attic as its not being done since the house was built and is probably a good place to start. I also thought it might be a good idea to get new Radiators as the current one's are 30yrs old and the new radiators might give off better heat so in total i will 5 new, so if you can recommend any that would be great.

Finally the hall in the house is always very cold, we don't have a radiator out there and the front door does not seem to have any cold drafts coming through it, we had one or two people look but never any ideas what or how the cold is getting through or where it might coming from.

Any advice would be warmly appreciated ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Vanbis wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here so hopefully you can help.

I live in a house that is 30years old and this winter even with the heat on in the morning afternoon and evenings i still find the house is cold, maybe its just myself but i dont think so. We only got a new boiler in over August 2008 and we are due to get this serviced this month but that had made no difference. What i am planning on doing is first off that it would be a good idea to get new insulation for the attic as its not being done since the house was built and is probably a good place to start. I also thought it might be a good idea to get new Radiators as the current one's are 30yrs old and the new radiators might give off better heat so in total i will 5 new, so if you can recommend any that would be great.

Finally the hall in the house is always very cold, we don't have a radiator out there and the front door does not seem to have any cold drafts coming through it, we had one or two people look but never any ideas what or how the cold is getting through or where it might coming from.

Any advice would be warmly appreciated ;)

Definitely a good place to start. Get a BER done, and they will let you know what to do. Try get someone you know, or that someone has used. You could apply for the HALO programme, free to apply and might be worth it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Davy wrote: »
    Definitely a good place to start. Get a BER done, and they will let you know what to do. Try get someone you know, or that someone has used. You could apply for the HALO programme, free to apply and might be worth it for you.

Thats great Davy, i will give them a ring or apply online in the couple of days.

I am going to insulate the attic again and having a look on the B&Q website they seem to have so many options for insulation. Anyone here recommend what exactly would be right for me? Its a 3 bedroom 2 storie house if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Threads over in constuction would give you good advice. One on roof insulation: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055617146

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Hi, Certainly start with insulation anyway. But that wont sort out the heating problems. If it is 30 plus years old did you just change the Boiler or did you get new pipework as well. The reason I ask is is it possably gb pipe or is it copper. If it GB then it is very likely to be leaking under the floor somewhere.
    If it is copper pipe then a powerflush and new rads should solve your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

To propperly insulate a house will cost you a fair wack. I think the grant is still available.

Its worth bearing in mind an insulated house will return its investment and make the radiators apear to be working for better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

If it's like my parents house and it is over 30years old, then there isn't any cavity insulation. Pumped in bead insulation into the cavity and redo the insulation in the attic. This will go a long way to heating the house up. It did in there house and didn't cost to much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

My in-laws got the bead insulation and upgraded insulation in the attic. The house is about 30 years old so relevant to OP. They've gone from having the heat on nearly constantly to bring the house just above frigid to having it on two or three hours a day for toasty. For them, the outlay of about 1300 euro, will pay off in about 2 years (maybe less given that the last bill before insulation for gas (heating only) was €277). Look into getting the grant- it's definitely worth filling out a couple of forms for. I think its

Advertisement