Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raptors in Ireland

• 09-12-2009 3:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

Sparrowhawk..... accipiter nisus
    Goshawk...... accipiter gentilis

Common buzzard ...... buteo buteo
    Honey buzzard...... pernis apivorusa

Golden eagle...... aquila chrysaetos
    White-tailed sea eagle...... Haliaeetus albicilla
    Osprey...... pandion haliaetus

Peregrine falcon ...... falco perigrinus
    Merlin ...... falco columbarius
    Kestrel...... falco tinnunculus
    Gyr falcon...... falco rusticolus
    Hobby...... falco subbuteo

Marsh harrier...... circus aeruginosus
    Hen harrier....... circus cyaneus
    Montagu’s harrier...... circus pygargus

Red kite...... milvus milvus

Barn owl tyto alba
    Long-eared owl...... asio otus
    Short-eared owl...... asio flammeus
    European eagle owl...... bubo bubo
    Snowy owl...... nytea scandiaca

There's a little list for you, but some of those, like the marsh and montagu's harriers are extremely rare, although a pair of montagu's did breed on our shores this year. Gyr falcons and snowy owls are rare winter visitors and the hobby is only a summer visitor coming with the swallows and swifts from Africa.
    The honey buzzard would be a very rare visitor, a few are seen here each year. Another bird that makes it to the UK sometimes is the Red-Footed Falcon but I don't think it has ever been recorded here (shame!)
    The Golden Eagle, the white-tailed sea eagle and the Red Kite were extinct here but have recently been re-introduced.
    The goshawk too was extinct but has returned to our shores as has the common buzzard. The European Eagle Owl shows up now and again and I am sure will breed here in the next decade or so. Ireland doesn't have as many raptors as hotter countries but it sure does have a lot more than when I was a nipper, in those days it was a highlight to see a wild kestrel, so things are looking up.
    Cheers,
    Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Good list. Montagus harriers breeding here. Didn't know that. Cool. Only other thing, I dont think buzzards ever became extinct on the island. As far as I know they remained on Rathlin before spreading to Antrim Glens and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 tomahawk101

I am guessing you are absolutely spot on, as the experts say they spread down from the North and as long as they were in Western Scotland I bet they were hoping across to Northern Ireland just like the eagles were. It's nice to see them around though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Theres strong evidence that Snowy owls have started to breed in Mayo in recent years:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good list. Montagus harriers breeding here. Didn't know that. Cool. Only other thing, I dont think buzzards ever became extinct on the island. As far as I know they remained on Rathlin before spreading to Antrim Glens and south.

They were extinct since 1880 to their return in the early 30's:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement