Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

This is great for Fine Gael - FF can be the hatchet men - the other guys can come to power and just accept them and say nothing to do with me guvnor - honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Ashanti wrote: »
    how short sighted is this. cutting my pay means i won't be spending quite as much in the local economy. i'll bencutting back on eating out, drinking in pubs, buying luxury groceries. I will be buying cheaper presents at christmas and buying online. And I am one of thousands no doubt doing the same. So how exactly is that going to help the economy and private business?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:Why does he not give everyone a €100,000 in the budget we could all spend it and the economy would be great !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Completely missed the jobseekers changes, anybody care to summarise for me?
    It only applies to new applicants.
    Between 20 and 21, the rate is €100/week.
    Between 22 and 24, the rate is €150/week.
    Over 24, they get the standard rate, but if they turn down a job offer or "activation measure" (presumably further education) it drops to €150

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mortgage Interest Relief gone by 2017.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mortgage interest relief to be abolished?. edit yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

So people on the dole over 24 are left alone. Absolute joke. There is feckers on the dole for years that have no interest in working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Just saw the Jobseekers Allowance changes:

€100 per week for new applications where applicant aged 20-21
    €150 per week for new applications where applicant aged 22-24
    €150 per week for receivers where they are found to refuse job offers

Job Seekers Benefit is currently untouched, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I'm sure it will be cleared up in a bit but unless there is a system that is offering people jobs a la the Job Centres in the UK then this will just be abused.

Perhaps they'll have to provide some sort of incentive to whistleblowers. Tough one to enforce.
    Snap Happy wrote: »
    Anyone refusing work should be have their allowance cut and that should have always been the way.

Absolutely, the dole offices don't police these things though unfortunately. Hopefully this will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

If they compensate Welfare families for cuts to Child benefit but yet cuts will affect low paid workers....will that just be a disincentive to work??!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

BluntGuy wrote: »
    He mentioned the "smart economy".

My response: LOL.

That is all.

In years to come they will be talking about the "innovation economy". Just more buzz words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I wonder will they replace the income tax levies with a new tax credit system seeing as a new tax year is starting and they couldn't introduce it in the supplementary budget ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

how short sighted is this. cutting my pay means i won't be spending quite as much in the local economy. i'll bencutting back on eating out, drinking in pubs, buying luxury groceries. I will be buying cheaper presents at christmas and buying online. And I am one of thousands no doubt doing the same. So how exactly is that going to help the economy and private business?

Those of us in the private sector are also in the situation you describe, above.
    Unfortunately, the cuts are necessary, the government hasn't the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The alternatives:
    - raise taxes, thereby choking off investment and disincentivising job creation.
    - keep borrowing, until we can borrow no more and there's no money to pay PS wages.

You're right, it doesn't help the economy, but the budget has to balance Exchequer finances as its priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

We all seem to be getting off a bit too lightly so far.

Get to the Income tax Lenihan!!!

token56 wrote: »
    56 million to FAS, lets just hope its not wasted

Better to spend the money on a real infrastructure project and have a few real jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Morgage releif for people who already have it will be extended until 2017?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

frman wrote: »
    reduction of EUR1,800 per annum.

This represents approx 5.2% reduction

Thanks mate

i spose u gotta do what u gotta do :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

BEER: excise down 12 cent on pint

edit: and if the pubs don't pass it on, he'll wag his finger at them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

12% reduction in price of pints!

Now just cut the minimum wage by a good 4-8%

EDIT: it appears I got too excited and it is 12cent and not 12% :( ****. Now it doesn't seem as good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

how will they know if you've refused a job offer?

I think you might have to provide evidence of you applying for jobs such as printouts of online applications and letters from employers.Then they'll contact employers? I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

no cut to the dole for over 24's? jaysus cant believe they didnt reduce the rate by at least a tenor, havent we deflation after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Ashanti

Giblet wrote: »
    This happens anyway in a recession.

exactly. So this budget is doing nothing to reverse the recession. It's driving it further. Short term pain , long term... more pain. And they wonder why the number of people going over the border to shop is increasing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cross border shopping, VAT reducetion on Booze down 12c beer 14c spirit

VAT 1/2% reduction - whoopy do.

Tobacco no change

Great we can all go out and get pissed tonight!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Jaysis, the beer is down!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

12c reduction on beer.... GET IN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

If I find this reduction has not been passed on....I will tell your father lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

wooot cheaper drinks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

1/2 percent increase in vat reversed. That will have them coming down from the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

doncarlos wrote: »
    So people on the dole over 24 are left alone. Absolute joke. There is feckers on the dole for years that have no interest in working

Hmm, this seems really silly. A small cut for all in addition would have not gone amiss.

If it could have allowed for the lowest paid civil servants to avoid the pay cut, even moreso. My sis won't be pleased - she's earning a pittance as a CO (under 24k IIRC), can't believe they're cutting their pay too.

Also, guys: buy moar alcohol pls.

Advertisement