Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

dustyrip wrote: »
    Is this right? Unemployment for 22-24 year olds cut to 150? Thats a harsh cut. If it is I better start trying harder to get work.

I think it is only cut for new applicants.
    I think for everybody else who is already receiving,it will only be cut to 150 if you refuse a job offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Kevin11

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poindexter viewpost.gif
    could you help with someone who's on 46k please

Reduction of EUR3,000 per annum

2700 I make it. Steep enough for the lower paid public sector in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Only the spongers

Sorry!!!! but I am afraid that someone who has been through the education system and can't find a job can not be referred to as a sponger

This can only be seem as a waste of the billions in our education system , we are training them up to go work in NZ, Canada and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

MOH wrote: »
    Is it not down 4% / €8?

Didn't see that mentioned anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kadafi006

What about 18-20 year olds on the dole??? Is it only new applicants that will be affected???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kevin11 wrote: »

Remember that that is gross pay. It'll be much smaller in terms of take home pay reduction!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I think it is only cut for new applicants.
    I think for everybody else who is already receiving,it will only be cut to 150 if you refuse a job offer.

Anyone that refuses a job offer deserves it, any job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

tunney wrote: »
    Not enough in mine.

Maybe you would have a differing opinion if you were struggling like my family have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

So what's with the new tax that replaces levy, health levy and PRSI? Did I pick that up wrong? How does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

dvpower wrote: »
    Well. Theres a measure thats already working.

Not exactly, as I am waiting on my UK tax exam results in January, and am emigrating, as our country in my opinion is ****ed for the next ten or so years.

200 was two much for a single person with no kids though.

Felt sorry for Lenihan with a few of the white collar scumbags in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭yeraulone

He said trying harder, not trying.

I know what he said. He said trying harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah I missed it too, but both my boss and my bf said he said down 4%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They should have made child benefit taxable
    Should have lowered excise in the ciggies
    Should have cut a couple of quid off the dole
    The .5% reduction in VAT will have fcuk all effect
    Should have brought back college fees

Though overall they didnt do that bad a job in fairness - had to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Rb wrote: »
    Same, but if anyone on JSA is found to be rejecting any job offers it gets cut to €150.

This I don't understand - if you're rejecting job offers, shouldn't it be cut completely??

Perhaps if you were rejecting a job offer that would have paid less than your social welfare payments there's a case for just reducing your payment, but other than that, nobody should be getting away with refusing work to stay on welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Excuse my ignorance of the welfare system, I've been in unversity and living with my parents for the past few years. But how does someone on €150 a week pay the bills, pay rent, pay for food etc? To me that seems awfully ****ing tight, let alone trying to pay all that on €100pw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

The problem I have with the dole changes is, if I lose my job say next feb I only get 150 a week? Yet someone the same age as me who's been out of work since november say stays on the 204 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    where can one buy an electric car in Ireland?
    where i am i going to charge it when it runs out halfway to dublin ( and the electricity is from peat oil and gas fired power sattions so pointless)

What's going on? RTE is reporting that the dole is down €8 a week? I'm 32 and heard nothing about that come from the minister. He only said if you refuse a job offer then it drops to €150. Is the €8 a mistake or correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Is it just me, or was that a shorter than expected budget delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Sorry

Very sorry to interrupt the flow, but could someone tell me this:

I applied back in September for Jobseeker's Allowance and am still waiting.. Will my rate be €150 when it's granted? Thanks to anyone who can clarify this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

For whoever asked:
    Extension of the existing scheme providing a three year exemption from tax on the income and gains of new start-up companies to include companies who commence trading in 2010. This measure will cost approximately €15m over a three year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I stand corrected?
    The maximum personal rate for all weekly schemes (other than personal rates applicable to those aged 66 and over) will generally decrease by amounts varying between €8.20 and €8.50 per week from the first week in January 2010 and proportionate decreases will apply in respect of people on reduced rates of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Mad_Max wrote: »
    The problem I have with the dole changes is, if I lose my job say next feb I only get 150 a week? Yet someone the same age as me who's been out of work since november say stays on the 204 a week?

No. You will be on job seekers benefit then and get the full amount (204 or whatever it is) for 12 months if you have enough stamps payed. After that you move to job seekers allowance and if you refuse a job it gets cut to 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Buceph wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance of the welfare system, I've been in unversity and living with my parents for the past few years. But how does someone on €150 a week pay the bills, pay rent, pay for food etc? To me that seems awfully ****ing tight, let alone trying to pay all that on €100pw.

If you're 21 with no dependents and unemployed you probably should be living at home. There's no shame in that. Trying to live some financially independent lifestyle while unemployed at that age just ain't realistic.

€100 a week for nothing when you're living at home ain't to be sniffed at. Pretty nice I'd say, in fact.

I'd say ditto for 24s and unders, tbh. You really shouldn't be taking on massive financial responsibilities at that age, you should be financially footloose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

Buceph wrote: »

In terms of rent etc there is also rent allowance I think

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

Yeah I think your right, its only cut to 196? I am 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Kevin11 wrote: »

46k is lower paid?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

dustyrip wrote: »
    Yeah I think your right, its only cut to 196? I am 23.

Cut to 150 is it not ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

Anyone that refuses a job offer deserves it, any job.

This can be true to a point.
    However, if you have gone through the education system and trained a particular field spent thousands say becoming a nurse, physiotherapists ect

Why should you take a job that would see your skills diminish. Students are being told go on job seekers and seek the vital experience to get a job,,,,
    This cut will see people automatically looking overseas

Advertisement