Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

tudlytops wrote: »
    Why are they reducing the benefits for the disabled, sick and carers, it's unfair, it's not have if they have a choice

Except for Anto who has had a "back problem" for years of course. They should spend more time tightening up on rogue Doctors who allow the abuse of the disability system first.

I agree with you for the most part though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

efb wrote: »
    Our employers make our lot v tough also, we can be laid off aswell...
    Indeed. The private sector have already suffered, now it's just time for the public sector to take their cuts too. All fair in love and war and all that.

With regards to the unemployed, I'm really hoping something is done to police the issuing of social welfare in the coming year. They took some sort of action to combat fraud, but as it is there's jobs available and yet people are happy to stay on the dole and let immigrants who are here a week take them, then claim there's nothing available.

They need to make the relevant departments work harder, maybe even create a few more jobs to help them do so, in order to combat fraud and laziness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chicomcchappy

segaBOY wrote: »
    Except for Anto who has had a "back problem" for years of course. They should spend more time tightening up on rogue Doctors who allow the abuse of the disability system first.

You dont know anto, stop judging people you have never met

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Mr Murphy, what attracts you to the leisure industry?

Spud: In a word: pleasure. It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure. ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

dvpower wrote: »
    Ok. I get it. Old people are lovely and cute and cuddly. They're a credit to the nation, fiscally responsible and unquestionably ethical.

But I thought that this was a budget, not a beauty contest. OAPs are the only class of SW recipients that haven't had to take any cut in rates.

When did budgets become solely about cuts? They are actually there supposedly to provide for the citizens of the country, to prepare for the year ahead, etc, etc.

• Advertisement

my responce was to this comment "Or else he's busy sorting his CV and looking on recruitment websites.

Your post shouldn't be so quick to judge someone you have probably never even met."

Not to anyone in particular.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

the private sector should try working in the public sector and then they'll see not everything is as rosy as it's made out to be too.
    +1
    Dont want to sound like a broken record but I have no job security and am due to lose my job next year, have taken all levies and now the paycut. Can't even get a mortgage with my partner because, while private sector, his job is "permanant" and mine isnt.
    Only good thing is that I know when Im going to lose my job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Spud: In a word: pleasure. It's like, my pleasure in other people's leisure. ........

If you have the DVD, there is an outtake where Renton actually goes in for the same interview, classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Holy christ. Horrific budget. Can see a hell of a lot of unrest in the new year (or sooner) from the public sector. Shocking stuff.:eek:

You dont know anto, stop judging people you have never met

I do actually, he lives two roads over from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

When did budgets become solely about cuts?

c. 2008

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

as i said before make anyone unemployed for more then 6 months attend a job centre from 9 to 5, they will very quickly get a job

Not really, look at your location on the fas website for all vacancies available and hit f5 as often as possible. I do about 10 times a day hoping I get the CV in there first. Still no joy. I know for certain that Im not the only one doing this as I have on occasion seen a newly posted job disapear after a couple of hours. I can easily imagine their phone non-stop ringing and a full inbox after a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

the public sector should try working in the privet sector and then they'll see it's not so bad in the public sector.

Not everybody wants to be a gardener.

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Holy christ. Horrific budget. Can see a hell of a lot of unrest in the new year (or sooner) from the public sector. Shocking stuff.:eek:

We will go back to ole ireland, everyone back in the bars, kncoking the sh1te out of one another come 12 o'clock ahhh those where the good ole days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

Did you see a different version to the one that I saw ?

If you have the DVD, there is an outtake where Renton actually goes in for the same interview, classic.

i love it, have it on my PC

I am a private sector worker employed by the public sector to do jobs they cannot. What a system!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Arthur Morgan. Cracks out the violin. Shut up!

Oh what a surprise a Sinn Fein TD uses the ironic metaphor of this budget representing "beating a man when he's down"

i love it, have it on my PC

No Joke, I put this movie on when I am getting ready to go out with my mates, must have watched it 50+ times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Sweet jesus

Burton is just useless.

lack of clarity, lack of focus, rubbish, flowery,totally rubbish speech.

Bruton not much better.

And now that idiot Morgan is up.

Is it any wonder why FF are still in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

In past 18 months I've seen my wages and expenses etc. drop by about €1500 a month into my pocket. I am also, as I work in sales, responsible to hit my target and if I don't the entire Dublin office, so 6 further jobs, could be lost.
    Now can anyone in the public sector say they have similar cuts, or similar pressures??
    It's less than €25 per week fo those on the lowest rates. That's hard but not unsurmountable.
    As to the dole I have to say I don't see much wrong with the cuts, other than those on carers allowances and those on genuine sick.
    Childrens allowance cuts very hard, but you know what it had to be done.
    Also glad tax exiles are being made to pay.
    Overall looking backwards helps no-one, lets just deal with it now, and unfortunately the opposition had no viable alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

They may do what they like, they'll have no support from the public here, both private sector workers and the unemployed alike.

Fair play to FF for standing up to the Unions, very impressed by it, really thought we'd be thrown a sack of excuses and half-arsed "fixes".

segaBOY wrote: »

yes, but there are people look after people that can never work or recovering from serious illnesses, me included I had back surgery and I have no hair, so I'll let you figure out what's wrong with me, it will be a long time before I can return to work, my partner is on invalidity pension.

i worked until last Feb, when i could not work any more and took redundancy.

To us with all the increases in fuel it's going to be hard. still we all nkew it was going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Sweet jesus

Burton is just useless.

lack of clarity, lack of focus, rubbish, flowery,totally rubbish speech.

Bruton not much better.

And now that idiot Morgan is up.

Is it any wonder why FF are still in power.

How do these people get elected?

I have images of american wakes, families and children on horse and carts going to airports in the west of ireland, dick wittington with his bundle tied on a stick....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I am a private sector worker employed by the public sector to do jobs they cannot. What a system!!

The alternative is to have public sector doing work that they are not able to do.

I have been offered work in the private sector because I have knowledge and skills that were missing in a particular business.

barbiegirl wrote: »
    In past 18 months I've seen my wages and expenses etc. drop by about €1500 a month into my pocket. I am also, as I work in sales, responsible to hit my target and if I don't the entire Dublin office, so 6 further jobs, could be lost.
    Now can anyone in the public sector say they have similar cuts, or similar pressures??
    It's less than €25 per week fo those on the lowest rates. That's hard but not unsurmountable.
    As to the dole I have to say I don't see much wrong with the cuts, other than those on carers allowances and those on genuine sick.
    Childrens allowance cuts very hard, but you know what it had to be done.
    Also glad tax exiles are being made to pay.
    Overall looking backwards helps no-one, lets just deal with it now, and unfortunately the opposition had no viable alternatives.

i wasn't in sales, but we did have a target, and if you don't make it, you could lose your job in an instance. I'll love to have a job in the Public sector, i would probably still be on full wages, even though I'm a home sick.

They don't know how good they have it

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

In past 18 months I've seen my wages and expenses etc. drop by about €1500 a month into my pocket. I am also as I work in sales, responsible to hit my rarget and if I don't the entire Dublin office, so 6 further jobs, could be lost.
    It's not the case that public sector people think they have suffered more than you personally or that you should suffer more loss. I don't mind the paycut for me, but I do think that higher earners in the private sector should contribute also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Grand. So we will just throw thousands of euro at you to do things you want to. At least you will be enjoying yourself.

My thoughts: good budget but could have gone deeper. Hopefully FF will be able to stick in til next year to broaden the tax base which populist Labour will not do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tawny wrote: »
    How do these people get elected?

I have images of american wakes, families and children on horse and carts going to airports in the west of ireland, dick wittington with his bundle tied on a stick....
    Bad an all as they are they are better than the shower in opposition, based on the anti budget speeches.

Total rhetoric and idealistic rubbish, totally lacking in concrete ideas and ways to recovery.

Gtfooh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Oh he's Sinn Fein. That explains a lot.

Advertisement