Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Jamie-b wrote: »
    It's not the case that public sector people think they have suffered more than you personally or that you should suffer more loss. I don't mind the paycut for me, but I do think that higher earners in the private sector should contribute also.

The figures I am seeing is €10000 per annum for the high earning public sector workers. That is a lot. It does seem to be staggered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bad an all as they are they are better than the shower in opposition, based on the anti budget speeches.

Total rhetoric and idealistic rubbish, totally lacking in concrete ideas and ways to recovery.

Gtfooh
    Have to agree. Speeches were prepared before the Budget. Just added the bits to attack the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Arthur Morgan. Cracks out the violin. Shut up!

Oh what a surprise a Sinn Fein TD uses the ironic metaphor of this budget representing "beating a man when he's down"

Which is something im sure Mr. Morgan has a lot of experience in doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Which is something im sure Mr. Morgan has a lot of experience in doing.
    SF v the rest :rolleyes: They've not moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Bad an all as they are they are better than the shower in opposition, based on the anti budget speeches.

Total rhetoric and idealistic rubbish, totally lacking in concrete ideas and ways to recovery.

Gtfooh

The opposition have presented their alternative versions of what the budget could be in the past weeks, perhaps you weren't listening but there were threads on boards at least.

I don't really know what you expect from the opposition right now-why would they start outlining policies when the debate is on the budget Lenihan presented?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

The figures I am seeing is €10000 per annum for the high earning public sector workers. That is a lot. It does seem to be staggered.
    It is a lot for high earners in the public sector. But it should be for high earners in the private sector also.
    My partner in the private sector earns slighly less than me but has a greater take home pay because of these cuts and levies. I don't want him to be cut obviously because we are as a unit down but since I have no children or mortgage we are very lucky.
    I understand that public sector pay needs to go down, but I think the fact that a person on low pay supporting a family is losing money whereas a person in the private sector on 100k is not is not fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

The alternative is to have public sector doing work that they are not able to do.

I have been offered work in the private sector because I have knowledge and skills that were missing in a particular business.

Or maybe the public sector should just employee people that can do the job instead of wasting a lot of money hiring people like me to do the job they are paid to do!

Or maybe the public sector should just employee people that can do the job instead of wasting a lot of money hiring people like me to do the job they are paid to do!
    No offence, but you shouldnt flatter yourself that you are better than the public sector workers. The only reason they don't hire people to do the jobs is because they don't want to make more people permanant

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

And still nothing about those lazy people that don't want to work and simple make a career of being unemployed, this includes single parents to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It is a lot for high earners in the public sector. But it should be for high earners in the private sector also.
    My partner in the private sector earns slighly less than me but has a greater take home pay because of these cuts and levies. I don't want him to be cut obviously because we are as a unit down but since I have no children or mortgage we are very lucky.
    I understand that public sector pay needs to go down, but I think the fact that a person on low pay supporting a family is losing money whereas a person in the private sector on 100k is not is not fair
    Sorry? Do you know how this thing works at all?

What are you suggesting? That income tax is increased? That would be a double whammy on public sector workers?

Unless you're talking about the Government trying to target private sector workers specifically, whose pay they have no control over with the exception of income taxes which apply to every worker in the country. Then again, I don't believe you've any idea what you're talking about.

+1
    Dont want to sound like a broken record but I have no job security and am due to lose my job next year, have taken all levies and now the paycut. Can't even get a mortgage with my partner because, while private sector, his job is "permanant" and mine isnt.
    Only good thing is that I know when Im going to lose my job

Damn straight you can't get a mortgage in a drastically falling property market when you're losing your job next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭newbie85

Rb wrote: »
    It's €0.12 off a pint.

If a pint is €6, you'll get an extra pint for every 50 you buy. Carnage indeed.

It's carnage for every single family who loses someone on the roads, absolutely. And you couldn't pay me enough to be the one who has to knock on someones door and tell them that news.
    All they seem to be doing is paying lip service to cutting down road deaths when they do something like this.

tudlytops wrote: »
    And still nothing about those lazy people that don't want to work and simple make a career of being unemployed, this includes single parents to.
    Indeed, it's very odd. Although I could imagine the white, middle class action groups who "represent" these people having a riot at the thought that the long term "don't work-won't work"s having their benefits slashed.

No offence, but you shouldnt flatter yourself that you are better than the public sector workers. The only reason they don't hire people to do the jobs is because they don't want to make more people permanant

this as happen for many years now, i myself done work for the public sector, but it had nothing to do with the public sector workers being able or no able to do the work.

there are many reasons why the government employees outside workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Jesus, the sf guy looks like he is about to have a heart attack:D:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The opposition have presented their alternative versions of what the budget could be in the past weeks, perhaps you weren't listening but there were threads on boards at least.

I don't really know what you expect from the opposition right now-why would they start outlining policies when the debate is on the budget Lenihan presented?

I was listening B and I heard nothing except "Mom and Apple Pie"

Nothing at all buddy.

newbie85 wrote: »
    It's carnage for every single family who loses someone on the roads, absolutely. And you couldn't pay me enough to be the one who has to knock on someones door and tell them that news.
    All they seem to be doing is paying lip service to cutting down road deaths when they do something like this.
    Sorry you're talking absolute nonsense. It's €0.12, it's not like they're delivering vouchers for 100 free pints to everyone in the country.

If someone's loved one gets drunk and crashes their car and dies, their survivors need to realise that it was this stupid fool who got behind the wheel who caused his death, not a €0.12 decrease in the price of a pint.

Drink doesn't cause car crashes, it's the retards who get fuelled up on it and get behind the wheel who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Grand. So we will just throw thousands of euro at you to do things you want to. At least you will be enjoying yourself...

I think you missed my point.

Indeed, it's very odd. Although I could imagine the white, middle class action groups who "represent" these people having a riot at the thought that the long term "don't work-won't work"s having their benefits slashed.

God forbid we affect those people. No we can't have that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

dvpower wrote: »
    Another let off for old people. No cut at all to pensions.

YEAH, those leeches have been gettin' away with it for years.
    If half of them were gone we could up the dole.......

Sorry you're talking absolute nonsense. It's €0.12, it's not like they're delivering vouchers for 100 free pints to everyone in the country.

If someone's loved one gets drunk and crashes their car and dies, their survivors need to realise that it was this stupid fool who got behind the wheel who caused his death, not a €0.12 decrease in the price of a pint.

Drink doesn't cause car crashes, it's the retards who get fuelled up on it and get behind the wheel who do.

yeah but you know the usual excuse, I was drunk didn't know what i was doing, In my opinion when you drive the car to the pub you know what you doing, leave the car at home and it won't happen.

God forbid we affect those people. No we can't have that
    Absolutely, sure they're the "most vulnerable people in society" don't you know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Dubya89

If they are so worried they could read the thread, if they bothered to look back even the last 4 or 5 pages you'd see it's been clarified several times.

I've not seen any report that suggests people who are not new applicatants will get cut down unless they refuse a job offer. If you're getting money from SW you're not a new applicant. It's pretty cut and dry.

The only confusing thing is if people who have submitted their application but not received a decision yet will be deemed 'new applicants'. The original poster made it clear they're not in this category.

If this was directed at my abrasive comment, then I apologise.

The 6.01 news has just said 18-20 year olds will get 100 and 21-23 will get 150.

Nothing about new applicants.

yeah but you know the usual excuse, I was drunk didn't know what i was doing, In my opinion when you drive the car to the pub you know what you doing, leave the car at home and it won't happen.
    Exactly and to be quite honest, if someone is going to attribute their stupid behaviour (getting in behind the wheel drunk) to being able to purchase a pint for €0.12 less they deserve to be fried on the electric chair to save society from their burden any further.

mikom wrote: »

the majority of those "leeches" paid taxes all their lives ????? so why are they leeches?

But i agree they do have less expectancies then a young person or a family.

Dubya89 wrote: »
    The 6.01 news has just said 18-20 year olds will get 100 and 21-23 will get 150.

Nothing about new applicants.

it's for new applicants only and those who refuse jobs.

Sorry? Do you know how this thing works at all?

What are you suggesting? That income tax is increased? That would be a double whammy on public sector workers?

Unless you're talking about the Government trying to target private sector workers specifically, whose pay they have no control over with the exception of income taxes which apply to every worker in the country. Then again, I don't believe you've any idea what you're talking about.
    Don't try to insult me please, I do know how this "thing" works. I do believe that public sector workers pay should be reduced, but not in the extreme way it was. I think under 30k it should not have been reduced, and that there should be extra levies on higher earners accross the board so that public and private sector workers earning higher salaries should all contribute

Anyone just see that slack jawed yokel on the news who lives at home and was complaining about getting under 200 a week? Discrimination?

Whats the bets he was up in Dublin doing a bit of Christmas shopping. I don't think I can watch much of RTE for the next week as all these morons get wheeled out in front of a camera to share their ideas with the nation..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mikom wrote: »
    the majority of those "leeches" paid taxes all their lives ????? so why are they leeches?

You got hit by the "ability to detect sarcasm" tax I see.

Advertisement