Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 IrishLady

efb wrote: »
    was careers hit? (I hope not) and I know its not easy but any chance at all of getting casual christmas work?

Of corse ive been trying to get christmas work no luck so far ....My point is my dad doesnt get much as it is for the work he does to help my mam and now they cut it ,even though its not much of a cut but every penny counts and for my mam to be getting cared for somewhere else it would cost the state much more!! Everyone has to play a part i understand that but some familys are not so well off not by choice either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

and what will everyone do? Nothing, zilch... complain for a few days, vote in FG and Labour in the hope that they might be able to do something... back to your play stations and wii everyone

Qs wrote: »
    Isn't that just an example of the divide in Irish society between the rich and the poor. Yet we hit the poor harder today and leave the rich be.

That's an extremely warped perspective if that's what you truly believe.

The top earners PAY for the poor and unemployed through their taxes, what more do you want? Should someone on the dole be making similar money to an accountant or doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Qs, do you understand that the top 4% of earners pay 50% of the entire tax take for the country! They are the ones getting screwed! 50% of workers pay no tax! some scroungers have never lifted a finger their entire lives and are creaming it off! When it comes to whats fair, the ones at the top have the most to complain about! I have little sympathy for PS workers, following the budget. I didnt think anyone under 30k ish should take a hit however, good news that their pensions, will be linked to average earning over their lifetime in the PS rather than their final year. They should tax the lump sum next! Everyone accepts we are screwed and the unions up until a few weeks ago, have been trying to get more money for less work, blocking any changes, work practices etc! Look at what every (or almost all Public sector workers still have) a secure job! put a price on that please! knowing that if you have a mortgage and kids you will be atleast be able to get by... If you dont, you have nothing to worry about! offer that to someone in the private sector! i.e employer to the employee, "we will have you here for life if you want us! we will pay you atleast 20% more than the private sector, a secure pension, a lump sum payment on retirment, you cant be fired oh and you can object to and block any changes we want to make! If the unions arent willing to come out of dreamland I would continue the downward trend of their wages until they realise who the master and who the servant is!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I didn't mean 50% tax on their earnings. I mean the top 4% pay over 50% of all tax taken in by the government (Think it's 58%). 40% pay no tax. The top 4% are paying for an awful lot of people as it is.

It seems some people won't be happy until we're living in the USSROI...

You saying that 50% of all the tax taken in by the government is paid by 4% of people only.

Can you elaborate on that please, I find that statement very amusing, but i would like to see some tables and notes with it.

And as a former Financial Analyst you can elaborate as much as you like, I'll be able to digest it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Qs, do you understand that the top 4% of earners pay 50% of the entire tax take for the country! They are the ones getting screwed! 50% of workers pay no tax!

I do understand that, and it is unfair, but someone with a post tax take home pay of 2k or 3k a week can take a hit of a few hundred euro much more easily than a low earning family can take a 50euro a week reduction

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Em... more??? I honestly don't care if someone is paying 50% tax on a huge salary. You cannot use a percentage to make it look unfair, it's peoples actual take home pay that is important. I think it more ethical to increase tax on higher earners than low paid workers, but obviously ethics is not an issue here.

So sorry for you. I really am. I think it's people like you that demonstrate how wrong it is to make these cuts based on assumptions about young people (such as they will be supported by their parents). I don't know what to say to make you feel better...

Yeah like when i was workin i helped my family out alot because im the eldest and now since i lost my job and after watching this budget its like a smack in the face ...people dont realise how hard it is lookin after a sick loved one and then to be kicked while your down...as the government should be ashamed of what the give my father a week for lookin after my mother as it is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

IrishLady wrote: »
    Of corse ive been trying to get christmas work no luck so far ....My point is my dad doesnt get much as it is for the work he does to help my mam and now they cut it ,even though its not much of a cut but every penny counts and for my mam to be getting cared for somewhere else it would cost the state much more!! Everyone has to play a part i understand that but some familys are not so well off not by choice either..

I feel for you, more than any other person here tonight. Im glad I have my job, even its a 4 hour round commute, and poorly paid. As Im in the Private Sector I have had a pay cut this year and no longer paid for O/T, and its very vunerable, but when I hear of situations like yours it really makes me grateful for my lot.

I hope you get something for Xmas.

Guy on the news now giving out that he stands to lose money for refusing a job.

**** this country. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

tudlytops wrote: »
    You saying that 50% of all the tax taken in by the government is paid by 4% of people only.
    Can you elaborate on that please, I find that statement very amusing, but i would like to see some tables and notes with it.
    And as a former Financial Analyst you can elaborate as much as you like, I'll be able to digest it.

You seem to be having trouble digesting it already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Yeah like when i was workin i helped my family out alot because im the eldest and now since i lost my job and after watching this budget its like a smack in the face ...people dont realise how hard it is lookin after a sick loved one and then to be kicked while your down...as the government should be ashamed of what the give my father a week for lookin after my mother as it is :(

That's tough, hope things work out for your family.

Unfortunately if they could excise the wasters and malingerers from the process, your family ,the genuine ones ,could get more.

prinz wrote: »
    You seem to be having trouble digesting it already.

Statements are easy, not so easy to provide prof of the same.

Guy on the news now giving out that he stands to lose money for refusing a job.

**** this country. Seriously.

As I said they done nothing to tackle the leeches, nothing.

Statements are easy, not so easy to provide prof of the same.
    It is also clear that our income tax system has become very imbalanced. Next year, almost half of income earners will pay no income tax and 4 per cent will pay almost half of the total yield.

- Brian Lenihan, Budget 2009

http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/FinancialStatement.aspx

I feel for you, more than any other person here tonight. Im glad I have my job, even its a 4 hour round commute, and poorly paid. As Im in the Private Sector I have had a pay cut this year and no longer paid for O/T, and its very vunerable, but when I hear of situations like yours it really makes me grateful for my lot.

I hope you get something for Xmas.

Thanks for your kind messages everyone
    Yeah hopefully the new year will look brighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

yes, but there are people look after people that can never work or recovering from serious illnesses, me included I had back surgery and I have no hair, so I'll let you figure out what's wrong with me, it will be a long time before I can return to work, my partner is on invalidity pension.

i worked until last Feb, when i could not work any more and took redundancy.

To us with all the increases in fuel it's going to be hard. still we all nkew it was going to happen.

Of course, my comment wasn't aimed at your circumstance. My uncle is genuinly on disability and I don't think a cut is fair. However, abuse of the system is rife and needs to be cracked down on. I think we can both agree on that? That was my point anyway sorry if it came across wrong.

you have to live within your means! when there was silly money around no one was complaining, now try and take a little back and look at the uproar! In his budget speech Lenihan detailed the % increases in all social welfare payments over the past few years and it rose far more than inflation! I dont believe for a second that any other Goverment would have handled the situtation much or any better to be honest!

Irishlady could I ask you why in goods name you have a 4 hour round trip commute to work?

segaBOY wrote: »
    Of course, my comment wasn't aimed at your circumstance. My uncle is genuinly on disability and I don't think a cut is fair. However, abuse of the system is rife and needs to be cracked down on. I think we can both agree on that? That was my point anyway sorry if it came across wrong.

No, no you didn't offend me in any way, i totally agree with you.

And i would love for the so called government departments that are suppose to help the sick and disable to actually employed them.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Irishlady could I ask you why in goods name you have a 4 hour round trip commute to work?

Thats me! There are no jobs in Offaly, I cant afford to rent in Dub. I cant spend money on a bus, its simple.

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »

I never said that.. i was replying to EfB i quoted her message if you read over it again

I never said that.. i was replying to EfB i quoted her message if you read over it again

his ;)

his ;)
    lol sorry :rolleyes:

prinz wrote: »

can you get me actual independent figures, not some political party using figures to defend their actions.

can you get me actual independent figures, not some political party using figures to defend their actions.

Yeah whatever. The figures come from the Department of Finance. I'm sure they could help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

tudlytops in fairness, I can't imagine why they'd make those figures up unless they were interested in attacking those who don't pay tax, which they haven't done.

Clutching at straws...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

30k isn't a luxurious pay check, I'll admit that. But for the work that clerical staff do in the PublicS, compared to the same work that clerical staff would do in the PrivateS the difference in pay is FAR too wide. I mean you would start on 18-9k in the PrivateS and 24k in the PublicS. How anyone can explain that is beyond me?
    FYP

No problem at at all there.

In the private sector you must be worth what you earn to the owner of the business.

Not so in the Public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Thanks for your kind messages everyone
    Yeah hopefully the new year will look brighter
    I hope it does, and I hope you have a happy Christmas regardless of the difficulties.

Looking at the comment from efb, I think it gives us all a bit of perspective. I have a public sector job, and I think we have been feeling like we are an easy target, but in all honesty the real victims are families like yours. It's funny (and sad) how we find ourselves getting sticky about a 6% / 7% paycut when we believe it is simply to bailout banks and property developers, but in reality if I was told I had to take a 20% to support carers and people who have fallen on bad times I would be ok.
    Even though it's just semantics I think it would have been better to enforce an unemployment levy of 7%ish! instead of the pension levy!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Can anyone provide a link to the Supplementary Measures, I can't seem to find one (having trouble accessing DofF)?

I'd like to know how much money is going to be taken from each Department. To date, €400million of the €1billion mentioned will be taken from Health. Not sure on the other €600million.

EDIT: It's ok, I finally got on to it http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/Summary.aspx

Advertisement