Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

dunny1975 wrote: »
    Wasn't forced to take mortgage, my kids objected to leaving in the outside and thought that wasnt fair.

Could have rented...or did your kids object to that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dunny1975

segaBOY wrote: »
    Could have rented...or did your kids object to that too?

you see life very simply, you now want me to rent from the property speculators that drove up the price, your a developer or politician?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

I am fully aware of the reasons why they do this. They pay more than 3 times the average public sector salary wage just to keep me like this, and I am fully aware this makes me expendable. But it is endless even after I am gone someone else will be needed then after them it will be someone else. Let's just cut out the middle man, give a full-time government contract to a private sector company and stop the waste I watch day in day out!!

What i don't get is,

In the public sector a permanent contract does not mean you can't be sacked, or made redundant, it just means they have to have a good reason to do so, so why is it not the same for the public sector?

Sorry if I am being naive, but i can not see why they can't have a contract like everyone else, that stipulates various things including targets, attendance, etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

They voting now? Dail tele line is silent..

you see life very simply, you now want me to rent from the property speculators that drove up the price, your a developer or politician?

Problem is that people were told time and time again that rent money was dead money, that they should buy, buy.

We saved for years before we bought and even then all we could afford was a small 2 bed cottage in need of a lot of work.

But when we do finally move in, it is ours, not the banks, ours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Wasn't forced to take mortgage, my kids objected to living in the outside and thought that was fair enough, now i expected tp pay my mortgage and the developers??

Can I ask how much your mortgage is?
    I know a lot of people that have been stung by this, but during the boom no one wanted to consider what would happen if things went south, you take all the guys now on the dole, the resession has forced a lot of them to default on their mortgage, do you propose they should also have their mortgage paid for?

It was YOUR choice to take out a mortgage, you could have rented instead during boom times, we shouldn't have to keep paying overinflated Public Sector wages for this reason alone.

Sorry to hear about your situation but there are plenty of private sector workers who have lost their jobs/taken larger cuts than you have and they also have mortgages to pay but you don't see any of them on here whinging.

Ah tree hugger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Renting is a good idea because if you lose your job it can be covered or you can downsize quickly if there's a change in your income. Not everything is a conpiracy against you. No-one would rent if mortgages had no downside.

Can I ask how much your mortgage is?
    I know a lot of people that have been stung by this, but during the boom no one wanted to consider what would happen if things went south, you take all the guys now on the dole, the resession has forced a lot of them to default on their mortgage, do you propose they should also have their mortgage paid for?
    I just wondering why we have to pay 6 billion for a bank thats going to be wound up

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    Renting is a good idea because if you lose your job it can be covered or you can downsize quickly if there's a change in your income. Not everything is a conpiracy against you. No-one would rent if mortgages had no downside.
    I not saying there is a conspiracy I just can't believe only some of the working population has to pay everything

To be honest dunny1975 I take zero pleasure in this budget and you having to take a pay cut.

My brother is in the PS and he is being hit. My GF is a Nurse-she is being hit.

On the flip side my other brother was made redundant 2 weeks ago from his private sector job and has two mouths to feed and a €350k mortgage to boot. He is being hit by new social welfare rules and reductions.

But the harsh reality of this is drastic steps have to be taken-we can't keep borrowing €450 per week to help pay for an overpaid public service. Look at it this way-at least you have a secure job and prices are now 6.6% cheaper. So in real terms you have earned 1.6% pay rise when you factor in the cuts v the new reduced cost of living.

Good luck with it all.

tudlytops wrote: »
    What i don't get is,

In the public sector a permanent contract does not mean you can't be sacked, or made redundant, it just means they have to have a good reason to do so, so why is it not the same for the public sector?

Sorry if I am being naive, but i can not see why they can't have a contract like everyone else, that stipulates various things including targets, attendance, etc, etc.

Agreed.

It was YOUR choice to take out a mortgage, you could have rented instead during boom times, we shouldn't have to keep paying overinflated Public Sector wages for this reason alone.

Sorry to hear about your situation but there are plenty of private sector workers who have lost their jobs/taken larger cuts than you have and they also have mortgages to pay but you don't see any of them on here whinging.
    Firstly I took out a mortgage to get a home, secondly if you think punlic sector wages are inflated your either mad or read too much spin, thirdly private sector don't whing you can answer my phone for 10 minutes you'll change your mind

You could have rented like we did and still do, until the cottage is ready, because it's not just the mortgage it's the life insurance and the house insurance and the maintenance of the property, etc.

We have kids too and they've never lived outside.

We just though that if we couldn't pay a mortgage and all mortgage related costs with just one wage, then we weren't going to buy, because we've always talked about what could go wrong, say sickness, and accident, etc and we figured that if we lost even just one wage we would be in trouble.

Just as well that was the case, life's been hard and if we had bought with a mortgage we would have been in deep trouble.

3 years ago we were both working then my partner got ill and that was the end of it and now recently me I got ill and was made redundant, last thing we need now would be a mortgage we can't afford.

You could have rented like we did and still do, until the cottage is ready, because it's not just the mortgage it's the life insurance and the house insurance and the maintenance of the property, etc.

We have kids too and they've never lived outside.

We just though that if we couldn't pay a mortgage and all mortgage related costs with just one wage, then we weren't going to buy, because we've always talked about what could go wrong, say sickness, and accident, etc and we figured that if we lost even just one wage we would be in trouble.

Just as well that was the case, life's been hard and if we had bought with a mortgage we would have been in deep trouble.

3 years ago we were both working then my partner got ill and that was the end of it and now recently me I got ill and was made redundant, last thing we need now would be a mortgage we can't afford.
    Hope everything improves best of luck to you, its my Birthday tomorrow and I got a pay cut!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Guys, if people don't stop with personal digs like tree hugger bans will start to be handed out and we'd all like to avoid that. Please attack the post not the poster.

Firstly I took out a mortgage to get a home, secondly if you think punlic sector wages are inflated your either mad or read too much spin, thirdly private sector don't whing you can answer my phone for 10 minutes you'll change your mind

You could have rented a "home". Once again noone forced you to take out a mortgage. Secondly Ireland's public sector workers are among the highest paid in the world and earn 30% more than their private sector counterparts. Thirdly private sector workers also have to deal with joe public-it's called your job.

Good luck with it once again, I take zero pleasure in cuts to your wage but I realise that it has to be done-bottom line.

I not saying there is a conspiracy I just can't believe only some of the working population has to pay everything

What you mean by that, while working we were told that there we no more bonus, loads of us relied on and worked hard for them, then we were asked to take unpaid leave and finally they closed down.

So what you mean only some of the working population has to pay everything?

What you mean by that, while working we were told that there we no more bonus, loads of us relied on and worked hard for them, then we were asked to take unpaid leave and finally they closed down.

So what you mean only some of the working population has to pay everything?
    Sorry private sector have to pay 5c on petrol, bonus whats that?

• Advertisement

OK I think you are living on a different planet than the rest of us.
    Wages across the board are down 12% from this time last year across the board. What % has your salary been cut? In the private sector their is a much higher chance that you could be in the dole queue, what are the chances of a public sector worker being made redundant? Is it the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Am....Have you not seen the other threads? Don't think anyone really has come on here 'whinging', perhaps people are just trying to come to terms with the cuts announced today. I feel you are generalising. In secondary schools, Batt cut the curricular concessionary hours earlier this year, which means that many, many teachers have had their hours reduced, some from full 22 hours to 3 or 4 a week. Haven't seen any of those people on here giving out either, while also dealing with the pension levy, income levy, this pay cut and cuts to pensions perhaps in 2011.

Hope everything improves best of luck to you, its my Birthday tomorrow and I got a pay cut!!!

thank you.

It was my birthday in Oct and i got surgery and months of ill health ahead of me.

Live is tough, that's just the way it is.

i dare say will survive

Wages across the board are down 12% from this time last year across the board. What % has your salary been cut? In the private sector their is a much higher chance that you could be in the dole queue, what are the chances of a public sector worker being made redundant? Is it the same?

Believe it or not my profession has seen a 50% cut in wages. But I'm not complaining because they were too high in the first place. Don't believe me PM me, not going to disclose too much information in public.

Sorry private sector have to pay 5c on petrol, bonus whats that?

A bit lost there???

Bonus is something we got paid for doing more then was expected, going over our targets, some of us worked really hard to get them, come in early and went home late, etc.

Believe it or not my profession has seen a 50% cut in wages. But I'm not complaining because they were too high in the first place. Don't believe me PM me, not going to disclose too much information in public.

If u took a 50% pay cut as a public sector worker, you must have been on an obscene amount of cash...

If u took a 50% pay cut as a public sector worker, you must have been on an obscene amount of cash...

Private sector worker, I'm in the private sector.

We are 15% down on numbers since start of the year and 18.5% down on salary,

A bit lost there???

Bonus is something we got paid for doing more then was expected, going over our targets, some of us worked really hard to get them, come in early and went home late, etc.

On the flip side the PS received yearly non performance related bonuses.

However worked in a private sector company that gave a 5% bonus at Christmas to all their staff on a non performance related basis so can't place all the blame at the public sector's door.

• Advertisement

Private sector worker, I'm in the private sector.

The private sector is different, people in the private sector are paid based on profits, if there are no profits there is no pay.

Advertisement