Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "live as it happens" Budget comment thread....

Options

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ofjames wrote: »
    is he on his feet yet? stuck in the office here so cant get a live feed
    He's not on yet, the place will light up when he is I expect.

Why can you not get the feed live? Do you get an error??

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lirael

Rb wrote: »
    So children should be entitled to walk around in tax free designer wear...? I'm not too sure where you're coming from. The country needs more money going towards the running of it, luxury goods should be taxed, simple as. If designer childrens footwear aren't a luxury, I don't know what is.

I'd like to see a ministry with balls that would tax just LUXURY DESIGNERS shoes and clothing .... I'd like to see how would they do an exeption for DS or Penney's ....

it wouldn't really change anything taxing it, as DS Penneys garments would still be cheap and it will only increase their profit when people will revert to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Atwork

Dubya89 wrote: »
    Nervous they're going to cut my dole by 50% .

I believe so, and very unfair as far as Im concerned. I really feel sorry for some younger people, go to college for a couple of years, study hard, get job, buy car or maybe house, lose job and then told to bend over.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

they're like kids in the background of the live feed, whispering to each other. the tension is palapable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

I'm going to refer you to this thread : http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055679567

RB, i am not condoning it!!! I am just saying, thats what would happen...Business is business.....

i never said I would condone it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Atwork wrote: »
    I believe so, and very unfair as far as Im concerned. I really feel sorry for some younger people, go to college for a couple of years, study hard, get job, buy car or maybe house, lose job and then told to bend over.

No one directly out of college should be buying a house, this is why the country is in the mess it is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Lirael wrote: »
    I'd like to see a ministry with balls that would tax just LUXURY DESIGNERS shoes and clothing .... I'd like to see how would they do an exeption for DS or Penney's ....

it wouldn't really change anything taxing it, as DS Penneys garments would still be cheap and it will only increase their profit when people will revert to them
    Obviously by price...surely that was self-explanatory? Read the whole posts on the matter, don't just jump to conclusions. I'm not talking about taxing the brands themselves.

Sit down and shut up Dempsey :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭frman

By that I assume you mean drive enough people to the black market to cause a net loss in takings in that tax year? I believe history is on my side on this one, is it not? .

I'm not sure it is.

Any chance you can point me to that evidence, or are you just saying that it must be so because the Govt can't be that stupid ?

anyone know when himself is supposed to arrive?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Actually it's a fair point Liam. The reasons for having children's clothing tax-free is somewhat obvious; Children's clothes are a necessity and children need new clothes a *lot*. But at what point does a particular item of clothing become something the parent *has* to buy, and instead it becomes an impulse buy - like a €100 hoodie from Baby Gap that the child will grow out of in 6 months?

Maybe if we imposed 13% on all children's clothing over €50 we'd bring it a bit of cash without affecting the bottom line of those who have children.

And yes, children's shoes are tax free at present. My wife gets cheap runners. Not because she's a child, but because she has tiny feet so wears children's-size shoes.

I got same problem - I have child's size 1 (EU 35) and can only buy children's :pac:

people who don't have kids should not be speaking of their clothes and shoes

I got 2 kids - boy and girl so I cannot "recycle" for the younger and their clothes are A MUST because they grow and grow fast .... so for example I have to buy 3 pairs of shoes for each per year but I am wise enough not to buy the cheapest but ones of reasonable prices that will at least be good for a couple of months

meganj wrote: »
    they're like kids in the background of the live feed, whispering to each other. the tension is palapable.

They generally talk to eachother quite a bit in these things. It's not unusual in the slightest
    Liam79 wrote: »
    RB, i am not condoning it!!! I am just saying, thats what would happen...Business is business.....

i never said I would condone it

I'm not talking about condoning it, Liam, I'm talking about making claims based on absolute fiction and with very little grounding in reality, with absolutely no evidence to back up your "argument" apart from your own personal suspicion of how a company *might* react. It's absolute nonsense.

does he need cowan coughlan and co to hold his hand entering the dail?? Where are they all....??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

The budget tracker hasn't updated since 2.59, I hope it'll be sorted by the time he starts, can't watch it here in work!

They generally talk to eachother quite a bit in these things. It's not unusual in the slightest

I'm not talking about condoning it, Liam, I'm talking about making claims based on absolute fiction and with very little grounding in reality, with absolutely no evidence to back up your "argument" apart from your own personal suspicion of how a company *might* react. It's absolute nonsense.

I know they just don't usually giggle and point.

Obviously by price...surely that was self-explanatory? Read the whole posts on the matter, don't just jump to conclusions. I'm not talking about taxing the brands themselves.

didn't u say that ie. NIKE shoes are luxurious??????????

You may be right RB, anyways its about to start....throw me a can..... i think i might need one :(

frman wrote: »
    I'm not sure it is.

Any chance you can point me to that evidence, or are you just saying that it must be so because the Govt can't be that stupid ?
    I'm going to refer you to http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055679567 and until you can bring an argument to the table that is outside your own personal experience, and with some sort of evidence, I'm not going to bother engaging you in the matter.

I know people trafficking cigarettes into this country illegally and how well they do from it, yet I still stand by my statement that a tax increase will result in a net gain in tax revenue as it has previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Yar. Heckle, heckle, heckle. What are they heckling about - normal practice! Crazy politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here we go, started now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭ssaye

oh its on...we just got served...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

CC says budget details remain a private matter before release.

Tell that to the Evening Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

First laughable moment....we are on the road to recovery!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Dempsey thinks we're on the way to recovery.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He's on his feet now.

What are they all rubbarbing about the document being confidential until he reads it? Thats normal as far as I recall...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

He says we're on the path to recovery ! DEADLY !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Are we really on the road to recovery? :pac:

Lirael wrote: »

people who don't have kids should not be speaking of their clothes and shoes

Sorry we're talking about products and tax, economical matters, not parenting matters so take your ridiculous argument over to the parenting forum if this is how you're going to enter the debate here.

Just because someone is not unemployed, does not mean they cannot comment on social welfare and dole. Just because someone is not employed in the public sector, does not mean they cannot comment on public sector pay.

Again, silly arguments belong elsewhere, please do feel free to take them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Here we go, time to see the cream of our rulers being as respectful as teenage boys with a substitute teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Dave! wrote: »
    He says we're on the path to recovery ! DEADLY !

Ah sure he might go easy on us then! :pac:

Advertisement