Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

nerd69 wrote: »
    So how far are the men from World Series at this point? what would they have to do to get there?

We have a qualifier competition in 2018 in Hong kong to join the season for 2018/2019

12 participants one qualifier.

Us Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Uganda, Zimbabwe, PNG, Cook Islands, Guyana Jamacia and two South American teams still to qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

We have a qualifier competition in 2018 in Hong kong to join the season for 2018/2019

12 participants one qualifier.

Us Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Uganda, Zimbabwe, PNG, Cook Islands, Guyana Jamacia and two South American teams still to qualify.
    Chile and Uruguay will likely be the South American sides with Brazil next best after them

We'll get a good look at whoever will be the South American teams to qualify as its a 12 team competition and we have a side competing in the South American qualifying tournament along with Germany, South Africa, France, United States, Canada,

We're in the same group as Canada, Argentina and Columbia in the group stage of the first round of the 2 round series

We beat Argentina 38-5, beat Canada 33-5 and play Columbia next.

• Advertisement

beat columbia and play Germany in 1/4s. and we were ranked 1st after pool stage.
    1 Ireland v 8 Germany
    4 South Africa v 5 Uruguay
    2 Chile v 7 France
    3 Brazil v 6 Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

beat columbia and play Germany in 1/4s. and we were ranked 1st after pool stage.
    1 Ireland v 8 Germany
    4 South Africa v 5 Uruguay
    2 Chile v 7 France
    3 Brazil v 6 Argentina
    I don't get why Conroy isn't involved, he was the star last season...

We beat Argentina 38-5, beat Canada 33-5 and play Columbia next.
    Nice. I presume both teams had second string squads out?
    connachta wrote: »

He was in the Silicon Valley and Elche squads in November. Either a case of squad rotation or he was retained by Connacht probably. I think they have a 20 man or 25 man training squad for sevens and they are giving all of them chances in different tournaments.

Dont know. Maybe???
    Injured or wanted by Connacht i assume.

Dont know. Maybe???
    Injured or wanted by Connacht i assume.
    Wanted by Connacht is unlikely, with both Ili and Scholes available on the wing

• Advertisement

Ireland finished 7th overall in week 1.
    Had beaten Columbia 33-7 on day 1 before today losing to south africa 31-7 in quarter final and then playing Brazil and then Argentina who they beat 21-17

This week Ireland drew 14-14 with Brazil, beat South African Academy side 17-7, and beat Paraguay 31-0
    Beat Argentina 7-5 in quarters, lost to French development in semi finals 15-12 and play Uruguay in 3rd/4th playoff

Beat Uruguay 12-5 to finish 3rd
    Chile and Uruguay were the South American qualifiers for world cup in san fran and hong kong sevens world series qualifier

This is full list of teams for world series qualifer
    Ireland, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Papua New Guinea, Cook Islands, Guyana, Jamaica, Uruguay, Chile

We need to win this tournament to get onto the world series for 2018-2019

The world cup draw will not be made until after the world series is complete as it is seeded and is based on overall finishing places in world series

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭nerd69

Beat Uruguay 12-5 to finish 3rd
    Chile and Uruguay were the South American qualifiers for world cup in san fran and hong kong sevens world series qualifier

This is full list of teams for world series qualifer
    Ireland, Germany, Japan, Hong Kong, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Papua New Guinea, Cook Islands, Guyana, Jamaica, Uruguay, Chile

We need to win this tournament to get onto the world series for 2018-2019

The world cup draw will not be made until after the world series is complete as it is seeded and is based on overall finishing places in world series

How do you reckon we will go

nerd69 wrote: »
    How do you reckon we will go
    I think we wont get the spot but should make the last 4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I think we wont get the spot but should make the last 4

Really? Who do you fancy over us?

its_phil wrote: »
    Really? Who do you fancy over us?
    Germany are very good and while the line up is quite bit weaker than olympics qualifiers i think Hong Kong also very good and about our level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Germany are very good and while the line up is quite bit weaker than olympics qualifiers i think Hong Kong also very good and about our level

We finished ahead of Germany in the Grand Prix though? I'd guess we're favourites on the back of that surely

its_phil wrote: »
    We finished ahead of Germany in the Grand Prix though? I'd guess we're favourites on the back of that surely
    Maybe and while we did finish ahead of Germany in series overall. Theyve beaten us on a few occasions when we have actually played each other

Maybe and while we did finish ahead of Germany in series overall. Theyve beaten us on a few occasions when we have actually played each other

I think we have played around with our squad a bit between tournaments. I hope this means we have been exposing a 20-25 man core group to international sevens and that when a tournament that matters comes kn we can beat them.

That said maybe they have done the same.

• Advertisement

Ladies squad named for Sydney 7s, second leg of world series, on January 26th-28th

Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke/Ulster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union/Ulster)
    Jeamie Deacon (Blackrock/Leinster) *
    Aoife Doyle (Shannon/Railway Union/Munster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock/Leinster)
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Katie Heffernan (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)
    Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum) (capt)
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union/Munster)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (UL Bohemians/Munster)
    Audrey O'Flynn (Ireland Sevens)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster)

Fixtures:
    Friday, January 26 -
    Pool C:
    Russia v Ireland, 10am local time/11pm Irish time
    Canada v Ireland, 1.06pm local time/2.06am Saturday Irish time
    Ireland v Fiji, 3.50pm local time/4.50am Saturday Irish time

Saturday, January 27 -
    Play-Offs

Sunday, January 28 -
    Finals Day

Games are being streamed on facebook on worldrugby7s page
    Ireland just got a try to level up 7-7 at half time in game one against Russia

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Stephen Hawkins football boots

Games are being streamed on facebook on worldrugby7s page
    Ireland just got a try to level up 7-7 at half time in game one against Russia

Is this only womens 7s?

Is this only womens 7s?
    Yeah. Its part of world series. Both tournaments on this weekend.
    Mens side arent there as no invitational for them to play in. Have other tournaments to play to warm up for world series qualifier which is in Hong Kong at the start of April

Day One saw Ireland beat Fiji 17-14, lose to Canada 24-12 and lose to Russia 19-7
    They play New Zealand in quarter finals tonight at 11.28pm irish time.

Ireland lost to New Zealand in quarters 36-0, then lost 17-7 to France before winning 5/6th against US 19-10.

Ireland are 8th after the 2nd of 5 rounds of the series. Next round is in Japan

Still no sign of Conroy -aka Road Runner-?

Ireland lost to New Zealand in quarters 36-0, then lost 17-7 to France before winning 5/6th against US 19-10.

Ireland are 8th after the 2nd of 5 rounds of the series. Next round is in Japan

Am I right in saying top 9 teams keep core status for next year? That has to be the objective this year.

Am I right in saying top 9 teams keep core status for next year? That has to be the objective this year.
    I thought it was 10 but whatever it is it has to be the objective. Playing the world series keeps the whole thing on the round.

• Advertisement

5th round of mens world series is this weekend in Los Vegas.
    Russia are in the relegation spot currently that we will hopefully be taking in Hong Kong in the qualifier next month. They are 8 points adrift of Spain at the moment.

Advertisement