Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think that has been Ireland's biggest problem in their past three years. They are smashing so many teams and not getting much real experience against series level opposition.

The biggest problem is how to gain this experience.

World cup coming up might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I think that has been Ireland's biggest problem in their past three years. They are smashing so many teams and not getting much real experience against series level opposition.
    Exactly. They had to make their way up from European Conference C,B and A the last 3 years but only really got tested against Spain and Russia in the Grand Prix Series last year both WS and Olympic teams. They finished runners up to Russia.

Just being in HK and getting to the Semis is a step forward. It must be crushing to get so close but another lesson. The RWC will be a great experience especially if they make the knockout stages. From there its winning the Grand Prix Series, qualify for the Olympics and pick the right invitational tournaments to prep for HK next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Does this qualifier happen every year in Hong Kong?
    yeah. Has been in place for a few years
    Exactly. They had to make their way up from European Conference C,B and A the last 3 years but only really got tested against Spain and Russia in the Grand Prix Series last year both WS and Olympic teams. They finished runners up to Russia.

Just being in HK and getting to the Semis is a step forward. It must be crushing to get so close but another lesson. The RWC will be a great experience especially if they make the knockout stages. From there its winning the Grand Prix Series, qualify for the Olympics and pick the right invitational tournaments to prep for HK next year.
    ideally now we are close to world series we may get an invite to play in a world series event or two.
    Being in HK is step forward but need to build on it in the summer. Winning grand prix series won't be easy but strong performance needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The RWC will be a great experience especially if they make the knockout stages.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but I think it's actually a knockout tournament.
    Draw has us playing Chile in first round, winner of that playing South Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Rugby_World_Cup_Sevens_–_Men%27s_tournament#Day_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Rugby_World_Cup_Sevens_–_Men%27s_tournament#Day_1
    Cheers didn't know about that format. Wow Chile will be resolute then straight into the deep end!

• Advertisement

It is but there still is bowl competition for those knocked out in first round.
    As well as 5th to 8th playoffs etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

looking forward to JOB getting a chance with leinster next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

Itl be interesting to see how Japan do now. I would say we are a pretty similar standard (although I have not watched half as much of this team as some of ye) so if they can survive it bodes well for us going forward.

nerd69 wrote: »
    Itl be interesting to see how Japan do now. I would say we are a pretty similar standard (although I have not watched half as much of this team as some of ye) so if they can survive it bodes well for us going forward.

Russia were promoted last season but rooted to bottom in the WS

Its looking like Spain staying up and Russia back into the QF mix unless they can make the Cup quarters for Singapore, London and Paris.

So Russia would then be in KH7s next year and that's a similar banana skin as Japan this year.

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-mens-7s-world-cup-hong-kong-3950366-Apr2018/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Ireland invited to play in the London and Paris World Series events. Awesome. Guaranteed 4 tough matches in each which ahead of the GPS is great prep for San Francisco

• Advertisement

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-mens-7s-world-cup-hong-kong-3950366-Apr2018/?amp=1&__twitter_impression=true

Ireland invited to play in the London and Paris World Series events. Awesome. Guaranteed 4 tough matches in each which ahead of the GPS is great prep for San Francisco
    Good for us but not sure we should be up there. I would far rather see Uganda, Papua New Guinea, Chile etc get more opportunities for invites then us.

Good for us but not sure we should be up there. I would far rather see Uganda, Papua New Guinea, Chile etc get more opportunities for invites then us.

Why? Papua New Guinea have had some. Why not Germany since they were twice runners up at HK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Why?

Why? Papua New Guinea have had some. Why not Germany since they were twice runners up at HK?
    Germany are another side. We havent done enough yet to deserve it and id prefer other countries who dont have backing we can get to get shots over us. Let us qualify on merit and give Papua New Guinea who dont have anything like support we have in any form in the sport the invitational spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Ah come on. I think this Irish side have done enough for a chance. Look at all those sides that have been invited in the past year. Ireland did far better than them in the qualifying tournament.

As I said the lack of series experience is holding them back at this stage.

Ah come on. I think this Irish side have done enough for a chance. Look at all those sides that have been invited in the past year. Ireland did far better than them in the qualifying tournament.

As I said the lack of series experience is holding them back at this stage.
    We still need to grow the sport and id rather others get these opportunities than us and we should have to wait and qualify

We're an anomaly at this stage. Second ranked 15s team in the world and we're not even in the series.
    Sevens is refreshingly global as it is and we're not going to change that.

Irish fans tend to travel so they will add something to the tour. I'll probably drive down to Paris in June. Funny to think that two years ago I was playing in the same tournament as the Irish team. My one big regret is that we were not drawn in the same pool.

We're an anomaly at this stage. Second ranked 15s team in the world and we're not even in the series.
    Sevens is refreshingly global as it is and we're not going to change that.
    We are now 2nd in world in 15s but ignored 7s for years. Why should an established nation in 15s, one of the 'old boys' get a leg up in 7s when we ignored the sport for years? We shouldnt be getting any help with slots in world series events. Those slots would be far better going to other countries to truly develop 7s more.
    We have yet to compete in the top tier of the european 7s competition. We will next month/june/july/september in the 4 rounds of the grand prix series.

We're not getting a leg up in any way. We started from the very bottom and are only now getting invited to the tour because we've proved we're at that standard.

Uruguay got two invites last year so we're due a couple.

We're not getting a leg up in any way. We started from the very bottom and are only now getting invited to the tour because we've proved we're at that standard.

Uruguay got two invites last year so we're due a couple.
    Have we proved we're at the standard? we lost in the semis of the qualifiers.
    Id still prefer newer nations be given more opportunities than us. We get to play world series if and when we qualify not anytime before. Give the wildcard spots to newer nations who would benefit far more than us and it develops sport far more.

• Advertisement

There was nothing between the top 3 teams and we could and maybe should have won the qualifier.

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings/mens

Look at the bottom 5 teams here. I'd put us on top or maybe second if there was a tournament with that bunch.
    Germany probably should have a chance but then theres some dodgy stuff going on with german rugby at the moment with Mr. Capri Sun. That could be holding them back.

Germany are another side. We havent done enough yet to deserve it and id prefer other countries who dont have backing we can get to get shots over us. Let us qualify on merit and give Papua New Guinea who dont have anything like support we have in any form in the sport the invitational spots.

PNG were invited to Hamilton and Sydney, Uganda to Cape Town and Dubai, Uruguay to Vancouver and Las Vegas and Japan to Singapore.

That’s plenty of support. No reason why Ireland shouldn’t play in Paris and London given that they’ll bring a crowd of ex-pats and they’re the next best team not qualified based on the Grand Prix series last year.

South Korea have no place getting an invite. I know they are close geographically to HK but they are so far off the standard of other teams.

its_phil wrote: »
    PNG were invited to Hamilton and Sydney, Uganda to Cape Town and Dubai, Uruguay to Vancouver and Las Vegas and Japan to Singapore.

That’s plenty of support. No reason why Ireland shouldn’t play in Paris and London given that they’ll bring a crowd of ex-pats and they’re the next best team not qualified based on the Grand Prix series last year.
    Ok fair enough. I would rather other sides get more invites considering our strength in other areas and how we will be playing higher level competition through european grand prix series than any of them will ever get playing outside of world series events
    South Korea have no place getting an invite. I know they are close geographically to HK but they are so far off the standard of other teams.
    So what? It'll help them. They will benefit hugely from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

These invites are clearly about selling tickets by bringing on board countries that are close enough to travel or may have expat communities living in the states in question. Its grand, everyone gets their share. The game gets developed to new countries, and for the purposes of 7s Ireland is a new country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭nerd69

Ok fair enough. I would rather other sides get more invites considering our strength in other areas and how we will be playing higher level competition through european grand prix series than any of them will ever get playing outside of world series events

So what? It'll help them. They will benefit hugely from it.

But then your saying the Irish 7s team should suffer because if the success of the 15s team that hardly seems fair either given there is no overlap

• Registered Users Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

TLS is right, it does smack as us getting favourable treatment that we don't necessarily need or deserve.

It's a bit like the way tier one nations are keen to go on tours to USA, Canada, Japan - but almost never to Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Romania or Georgia.

errlloyd wrote: »
    TLS is right, it does smack as us getting favourable treatment that we don't necessarily need or deserve.

It's a bit like the way tier one nations are keen to go on tours to USA, Canada, Japan - but almost never to Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Romania or Georgia.

We're the next best team not qualified based on the Grand Prix last year, why don't Ireland deserve it? The Irish 7s team definitely needs to be playing a higher caliber of team if they want to progress further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

nothing to be gained by a team from getting hammered on the series and arguably makes the pools lobsided, next highest in qualifiers Ireland/Germany are least likely to get hammered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Who got the Paris/London invites in previous years?

Advertisement