Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

It does show the issue with the qualification stages to get to the World Series. We narrowly lose to Japan and as a result, can't qualify. Our skillset clearly shows that over a year in a points ranking system, we would breeze our way into the World Series. Sevens is a cruel game. Any team can be beaten over the course of 14 minutes. It's the beauty of it. But it's a poor barometer for a season of effort.
    What do you do to change the qualification process to then?
    Theyre not going to change things so more than one side are relegated and sides outside the core teams can get invited to several tournaments,
    We will likely get invited to 2 or 3 tournaments next seasons series especially if we do well in world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

What do you do to change the qualification process to then?
    Theyre not going to change things so more than one side are relegated and sides outside the core teams can get invited to several tournaments,
    We will likely get invited to 2 or 3 tournaments next seasons series especially if we do well in world cup.

Well the World Series is decided on ranking points over the course of the season.

Why not establish a similar system on the lower tier leagues?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Well the World Series is decided on ranking points over the course of the season.

Actually, that is a really good point. It may seem like sour grapes, but its much better to judge performance over a couple of events rather than just one 14 minute game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Actually, that is a really good point. It may seem like sour grapes, but its much better to judge performance over a couple of events rather than just one 14 minute game

I agree with this. The top performing team across the season or top of the league etc in a playoff against the bottom core team.

Knockout is cruel though and that's just how it is. One event, one chance, regardless if you dominated your level across the season. Kind like Georgia, only they don't even get a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Leavy Cronin Murphy

Murray Carberry

Ringrose Larmour

You don't have to pick forwards in the forwards. McNulty and Fitzpatrick are backs in 15s. Not sure about John O'Donnell but I think he plays in the backs as well??

I suppose there was Timoney. He was on the sprint relay team in Blackrock, so he's probably faster than most forwards in Ireland. You'd want to have serious wheels as a 15s forwards playing 7s, like Kwagga Smith, for example

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

You don't have to pick forwards in the forwards. McNulty and Fitzpatrick are backs in 15s. Not sure about John O'Donnell but I think he plays in the backs as well??

I suppose there was Timoney. He was on the sprint relay team in Blackrock, so he's probably faster than most forwards in Ireland. You'd want to have serious wheels as a 15s forwards playing 7s, like Kwagga Smith, for example

Porridge Connors played 7s this season too

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Great result but lucky enough to get to QF after only winning one group game we are still abit away and capable of one off great performances such as last weekend but a very positive stepnone the less

Costs to run that. Its regional below the world series so how do you do it with sides not playing each other
    I agree with this. The top performing team across the season or top of the league etc in a playoff against the bottom core team.

Knockout is cruel though and that's just how it is. One event, one chance, regardless if you dominated your level across the season. Kind like Georgia, only they don't even get a shot
    It isnt straight knockout though so not that cruel. There is qualifying tournaments per region and then the final qualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

If its already been mentioned apologies, but I see Ireland are also competing at the Paris 7's this weekend.
    They're in Pool C with Australia, Wales and Spain.

https://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1794/fixtures

The game against Wales is during the 15's game against Australia :/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

More like Jordan gone-roy, am I right?

• Advertisement

14-5 win over spain in game one. Terrible game, 5-0 down at the half. Lots of handling errors from both teams.
    5 changes to the team from last week. Looks like management are trying to build a bit of depth.
    Aus destroyed Wales in the other match in the group

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

14-5 win over spain in game one. Terrible game, 5-0 down at the half. Lots of handling errors from both teams.
    5 changes to the team from last week. Looks like management are trying to build a bit of depth.
    Aus destroyed Wales in the other match in the group

I think the management are trying to use most of the 20 man training group they have for 7s.

We need the depth.

I think the management are trying to use most of the 20 man training group they have for 7s.

We need the depth.

Makes sense. These invites are great for morale and building interest in the game, but the really important part is building experience and squad depth. I'd happily sacrafice a qtr final spot to blood some more talent. We have big days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

More like Jordan gone-roy, am I right?

Go sit outside and no TV privileges for the day

Massive win for Spain v Oz

draw v wales, fair result but we gave away an awful try to let them get level.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Kenya just beat Fiji, huge upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 allylands

What time is our game at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

now, no stream i can find :(

Conroy looks badly injured...

• Advertisement

14-7 to Ireland at half time

Atleast one Irish team can beat the Aussies today.
    Ireland 24-14 Australia

Ireland are into the Cup Quarter finals again.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It really has been an excellent couple of weeks for the 7s lads. Phenomenal work.

I had my doubts but hoped. Then Conroy out. Feic! But wow its not all about Conroy, its the team. Great result against Australia. Feel a bit better seeing that after the 15s earlier.

It will be USA or England in the quarters

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Adam Leavy is another Connacht ex-Leinster road-runner!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I had my doubts but hoped. Then Conroy out. Feic! But wow its not all about Conroy, its the team. Great result against Australia. Feel a bit better seeing that after the 15s earlier.

It will be USA or England in the quarters
    Scotland or South Africa no?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,468 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

What time are the quarters lads?

Faugheen wrote: »
    Scotland or South Africa no?

Canada.
    Yeah I had it wrong

The other Cup QFs
    Eng v Fij
    SA v Spain
    USA v NZ

sydthebeat wrote: »
    What time are the quarters lads?
    Trophy quarters are first. Our game is at 9.35am

• Advertisement

We'll be up against England or Fiji in semi if we beat Canada.

Advertisement