Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Canada is probably the best QF we could have had of the 8 (toss up with Spain)
    Another chance to enjoy Fiji trashing us with so beautiful rugby in Semi (Kenya loss does not mean we have any chance :p ). Top 4 for the 2nd week in a row would be massive really

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

England just beat Fiji

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Fiji out!

Yellow for that? Trying to intercept a high ball. Poor call.

Edit: flicked it with one hand , thought he was at it with two first time.closer call.

Good man Conroy. Badly needed that and at the perfect time too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Needed that score before half time. Conroy looks to be a bit uncomfortable with that groin tweak from yesterday still

Ref is absolutely riding us here

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Very frustrating decision from the ref, extremely arbitrary

Aaaaaaand we're out........

That Canadian was off his feet as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

We played two World Series events, and make the knockouts in both.

A bit disappointing to not do better against Canada, but still, what an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Canada are a core side.

That's the only objective really for this Irish team. Qualify and become a full-time series side. After they have regular series rugby to play they'll come on in leaps and bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Its a great result and one that they would have jumped at two weeks ago and possibly even two days ago. The manner of the defeat jars. The yellow was a terrible call. The second Canadian try comes off a penalty that should be awarded and they close the game with a turnover penalty that wasnt correct. That's sports but i'd say they'll be sore with the decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

They get to play Fiji again in the 5th place SF. These 2 weeks have been invaluable experience against core teams for a crack at the WC. All eyes on next European round though to keep up the momentum for getting to HK7s again. Been brilliant to watch them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Also Russia will get 1 point bringing them to 26. Ireland are guaranteed 10pts even losing to Fiji bringing them to 27. So in just 2 rounds an invitational team will finish the series ranked higher than the last core team! No doubt Russia will be chomping at the bit in Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Ireland are genuinely a top 8 team in sevens now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Yeah we were far from ridculous against Fiji except on the last action

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Its hard to say based on two performances. I would say that we are definitely more deserving of core status than some of the core teams but its on us to do well in the world cup and the next qualification conpetition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Not sure of that and cant say that based on just two tournaments.
    Hopefully we can qualify for world series at Hong Kong next year and also set up a proper 7s pathway through the domestic game if we do(and even if we dont) and provide far better coordinated competitions at age grade level

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

What sevens competitions are there in Ireland. The only one I know of is the schools one held in terenure.

• Advertisement

What sevens competitions are there in Ireland. The only one I know of is the schools one held in terenure.
    What level are you referring to?

Womens side play in grand prix series this weekend in Marcoussis France.
    In group B against Scotland, Poland and Wales
    Ashleigh Baxter, Kathy Baker, Aoife Doyle, Katie Fitzhenry, Stacey Flood, Louise Galvin, Katie Heffernan, Eve Higgins, Lucy Mulhall, Amee-Leigh Murphy-Crowe, Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird, Audrey O Flynn

Mens squad for same tournament.
    Robert Baloucoune (Enniskillen/Ulster)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (UCD) (capt)
    Foster Horan (Lansdowne)
    Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    Adam Leavy (Lansdowne)
    Mick McGrath (Clontarf)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Dublin University)
    John O'Donnell (Lansdowne)
    Greg O'Shea (Shannon)
    Mark Roche (Blackrock College)

Fixtures v Poland, Spain and England

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Conway injured?

Conway injured?
    Wasnt selected for some tournaments including Hong Kong so not sure if injured or not.
    Could be part of rotation maybe??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Wasnt selected for some tournaments including Hong Kong so not sure if injured or not.
    Could be part of rotation maybe??

Thanks for copping I meant Conroy

Its really odd he's been their most influential player.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I presume he'll be playing in the World Cup in three weeks.

Yes but perhaps using this tournament to help look at wider squad to prep for world cup.
    Peregrine wrote: »
    I presume he'll be playing in the World Cup in three weeks.
    Hopefully. We have another tournament in Exeter next weekend so hopefully he'll be there and there is just some rotation of the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭PMC83

Ok silly question, but don't know very much about sevens. The Irish Sevens team, are they full time athletes/professional or part is it more of a semi pro set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

PMC83 wrote: »
    Ok silly question, but don't know very much about sevens. The Irish Sevens team, are they full time athletes/professional or part is it more of a semi pro set up?

I believe they get payed but not enough to make a living out of it.

So semi pro.

Advertisement