Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

I believe they get payed but not enough to make a living out of it.

So semi pro.

Some not all are on contracts around €8k so basically pays their accomadation each year so only really suits those in college or just out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Been busy at work so not seen any games. Did anyone see either side play this weekend?
    Mens side beat Poland 52-0, Spain 40-0, England 21-14
    play Portugal in quarters tomorrow

Womens side beat Scotland 41-7, Poland 44-0, Wales 45-0
    beat Spain 38-7 in quarters, lost to France 22-0 in semis
    beat England 39-7 in 3/4 playoff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Been busy at work so not seen any games. Did anyone see either side play this weekend?
    Mens side beat Poland 52-0, Spain 40-0, England 21-14
    play Portugal in quarters tomorrow

Womens side beat Scotland 41-7, Poland 44-0, Wales 45-0
    beat Spain 38-7 in quarters, lost to France 22-0 in semis
    beat England 39-7 in 3/4 playoff

Poland were a bit outmatched. It was a bit like Ireland against Fiji the two times a few weeks ago. Any time Ireland had the ball a score wasn't far away.

The Spain match was hard fought, but Ireland were never unduly troubled.

I think it was England's second team, but they did have Oliver Lindsay-Hague. Ireland's winning try came when Mick McGrath ran a nice angle back against the grain and brushed of two tacklers to break free and run it in from 40m.

All the games are replayed on the rugby europe website https://www.rugbyeurope.eu/all-rugby-europe-games

Ireland won all games today
    Quarter-Final: Ireland 17 Portugal 12
    Semi-Final: Ireland 35 Russia 0
    Final: Ireland 49 Germany 7,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Some not all are on contracts around €8k so basically pays their accomadation each year so only really suits those in college or just out

I believe the players get a fee if they are selected for tournaments

• Advertisement

Very impressed with the Womens result against Spain especially who finished a few places ahead of them in the World Series. Good building block ahead of the World Cup.

Worrying injury to Mark Roche too. Lifted the trophy in a big cast on his leg.

Dardis is as good if not a better kicker and play maker, but Roche has been in good form this year and would add a lot for the World Cup

I didn't get a good enough look at all the other games so I can't just standard too much.

But how did that German side get to a final?!

Their tackling was incredibly poor. Their ruck work was nonexistent and their passing skills weren't sharp enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I just can't get enthusiastic about 7's. I tried watching, but it bores the snot outta me.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I just can't get enthusiastic about 7's. I tried watching, but it bores the snot outta me.

Valuable insight thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Sevens is one of the most exciting forms of the game.

It's fast paced, end to end running and the goal of keeping the ball alive at all costs. Short games as well so it's really hell for leather stuff.

Dunno how anyone could consider it boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Dubinusa wrote: »

don't watch it then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't, I gave up. It's like indoor football with 5 a side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Something I've been wondering about regarding Irish Sevens generally: are there any plans in place or considerations being made in regard to the flags and anthems issue when it comes to Sevens in the Olympic Games, does anyone know?

The IRFU have negotiated these potentially treacherous waters very well over the course of modern Irish/Northern Irish political history, and under the umbrella of World Rugby the vast majority of people are very happy with the 'whole island of Ireland' team and the Ireland Rugby flag and Ireland's Call anthem.

However, the Olympic Games are organised differently.
    'Ireland' at the Olympics is the Republic of Ireland and the team parades behind the tricolour, and in the event of a Gold medal winner, the tricolour is flown and Amhrán na bhFiann is the anthem played.
    Team GB on the other hand comprises all the component parts of the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, and obviously uses the Union Flag and God Save The Queen.

My concern is for Irish Sevens players from Northern Ireland who, if they wish to compete at an Olympic Games, will be compelled to declare for one or the other.
    We all saw the unedifying spectacle of the fighting over Rory McIlroy in the lead up to the last Olympic Games, to the point where a potential Gold Medal winner chose to simply not participate.

I know nothing of the personal situations of any of the Sevens players from Northern Ireland, but there must be some for whom this would be a dilemma.
    Even if they personally have no issue with the tricolour and Amhrán na bhFiann and are happy to represent Ireland, they don't live in isolation and would have to consider the family, cultural, and community difficulties that might be directed towards them.
    Equally, if they choose to represent Team GB, there would undoubtedly be criticism directed towards them from the other direction.

The only other sport I can think of off the top of my head that's in a similar situation is Field Hockey. Does anyone know how Hockey Ireland handle this issue?

I'd hate for this to descend into acrimony and throw a note of sourness and possible division into the burgeoning Irish Sevens programme, and I'd hope that greater minds than mine have considered it and made/are making plans to avoid potential difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's pretty much the same as golf, the guys need to make their own decision on whether or not they're comfortable with it.

I don't think there were any Ulster guys in the squad before the last olympics, there's one in the squad currently. It may be a while before anyone has to make that kind of decision.

It won't be a last minute decision anyway, I'm sure this is covered in the contract they're offered when they're brought into the 7s fold.

Melodeon wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering about regarding Irish Sevens generally: are there any plans in place or considerations being made in regard to the flags and anthems issue when it comes to Sevens in the Olympic Games, does anyone know?

The IRFU have negotiated these potentially treacherous waters very well over the course of modern Irish/Northern Irish political history, and under the umbrella of World Rugby the vast majority of people are very happy with the 'whole island of Ireland' team and the Ireland Rugby flag and Ireland's Call anthem.

However, the Olympic Games are organised differently.
    'Ireland' at the Olympics is the Republic of Ireland and the team parades behind the tricolour, and in the event of a Gold medal winner, the tricolour is flown and Amhrán na bhFiann is the anthem played.
    Team GB on the other hand comprises all the component parts of the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, and obviously uses the Union Flag and God Save The Queen.

My concern is for Irish Sevens players from Northern Ireland who, if they wish to compete at an Olympic Games, will be compelled to declare for one or the other.
    We all saw the unedifying spectacle of the fighting over Rory McIlroy in the lead up to the last Olympic Games, to the point where a potential Gold Medal winner chose to simply not participate.

I know nothing of the personal situations of any of the Sevens players from Northern Ireland, but there must be some for whom this would be a dilemma.
    Even if they personally have no issue with the tricolour and Amhrán na bhFiann and are happy to represent Ireland, they don't live in isolation and would have to consider the family, cultural, and community difficulties that might be directed towards them.
    Equally, if they choose to represent Team GB, there would undoubtedly be criticism directed towards them from the other direction.

The only other sport I can think of off the top of my head that's in a similar situation is Field Hockey. Does anyone know how Hockey Ireland handle this issue?

I'd hate for this to descend into acrimony and throw a note of sourness and possible division into the burgeoning Irish Sevens programme, and I'd hope that greater minds than mine have considered it and made/are making plans to avoid potential difficulties.

I can't add anymore substance to your questions other than pride of representing Ireland as a whole at the Olympics outweighs all else.

You'd see the Ulster guys happily walk alongside fellas waving a Tricolour after a good win. Think of Chicago and Twickenham.

As for the McIlroy thing.

Sadly his non participation came from sponsorship. Nike pay him 10 million dollars a year. Team Ireland was sponsored by New Balance.

Nike didn't want their posterboy playing in the biggest sporting event in the world not wearing their gear.

The Zika virus and mumblings about his allegiance were a much more convenient excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

I wonder if Team GB could poach Irish (Ulster born) players for the next Olympics, they were able to pick from Eng/Scot/Wales so not sure the standard eligibility rules apply to that. Again you'd hope the contract would have this locked down so it doesn't become an issue.

Thud wrote: »
    I wonder if Team GB could poach Irish (Ulster born) players for the next Olympics, they were able to pick from Eng/Scot/Wales so not sure the standard eligibility rules apply to that. Again you'd hope the contract would have this locked down so it doesn't become an issue.

Even if it's not in the contract, it would be a very silly move I think.

While there is the team GB loophole for the Scots/ Welsh and English for the Olympics and Commonwealth, you can't change allegiance from one country to the other on the 7s World Series.

So if an Irish player jumped ship to team GB for the Olympics, they could kiss their Irish 7s career goodbye. And wouldn't be able to represent a different country on the world series - meaning they sacrifice their career for the sake of 1 tournament

Having said that, my argument is based on both Ireland and team GB both being qualified for the Olympics and one player chooses.

Might be a different case if Ireland don't qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

Might be a different case if Ireland don't qualify

Yeah could be many reasons, Ireland don't qualify for Olympics, player always dreamed of Olympics, couldn't make a living on Irish semi pro contract, could fall back into 15s etc etc

Ireland face France, Italy and Sweden tomorrow in round 3 of grand prix series
    Conroy, Terry Kennedy, Alex McHenry and Jimmy O’Brien have been added to the squad with Mark Roche, Bryan Mollen, Adam Leavy and Mick McGrath all rotated out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Thud wrote: »
    Yeah could be many reasons, Ireland don't qualify for Olympics, player always dreamed of Olympics, couldn't make a living on Irish semi pro contract, could fall back into 15s etc etc

The IRFU made a ruling for Rio that any players contracted by an Irish province would not be allowed play for team GB. So they'd have to be offered a contract with a UK club, and they'd be giving up any future International representation as they can't swap countries.

So you're looking at a player who would be willing to give up his Irish career at province and national level just to play for team GB.

• Advertisement

Dates have been announced for next World Rugby7s season. Hopefully we will play in some of these
    Dubai 30 - 1 Nov/Dec
    Cape Town 8-9 Dec
    Hamilton 26-27 Jan
    Sydney 2-3 Feb
    Los Vegas 1-3 Mar
    Vancouver 9-10 Mar
    Hong Kong 5-7 Apr
    Singapore 13-14 Apr
    London 25-26 May
    Paris 1- 2 Jun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Any aficionados know who the back-up scrumhalf from the Exeter squad would be if Dardis isn't playing?

Would Jimmy O'Brien step in? I suppose it's who's best at drop kicks

Is there a legal live stream anywhere? Or is it on Sky even?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

wp_rathead wrote: »

Rugby Europe stream it live I think

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

wp_rathead wrote: »

watching on sky sports at the moment. First game against Sweden, two tries with five minutes gone.
    Oh, as I was typing, there's another one. Sweden struggling because the Dardis kick offs are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

watching on sky sports at the moment. First game against Sweden, two tries with five minutes gone.
    Oh, as I was typing, there's another one. Sweden struggling because the Dardis kick offs are very good.

Poor old Sweden, I think they're relatively new to this particular level. They kept knocking on wth every opportunity, although under big defensive pressure from Ireland.
    43 nil at the end.

Good the link thanks

Poor Conroy didn't have the best of games

u18 girls 7s also playing in home nations this weekend in Edinburgh
    Played twice so far with 2 wins. Beat England in game one 28-19, and Wales 29-5 in second game. Play scotland at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What exactly is this European circuit? Is it a qualifier for next years full circuit?

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What exactly is this European circuit? Is it a qualifier for next years full circuit?
    Its the top tier of the european 7s circuit.
    When we entered 7s properly in 2015 we were in division C and got into B then A level. The names of competitions have rebranded.
    It is used as a qualifier for world series qualifiers which are in Hong Kong every year but countries on world series also compete but often will field development players/squads in the european competition

Advertisement