Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ireland beat Georgia 22-12 in quarters

Lost to England 31-19 in semi finals so now play Portugal who lost to Russia 14-17 in second semi final

Beat Portugal 29-7 to finish 3rd

Overall points after third round are
    Ireland 56, England 46, Russia 44, Germany 42, France + Portugal 32.
    We need to finish in the top 2 of non world series sides to qualify for world series qualifiers.
    That means we just need to finish 7th or better with Germany and Russia finishing first and second to not finish in top two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Overall points after third round are
    Ireland 56, England 46, Russia 44, Germany 42, France + Portugal 32.
    We need to finish in the top 2 of non world series sides to qualify for world series qualifiers.
    That means we just need to finish 7th or better with Germany and Russia finishing first and second to not finish in top two.
    Something weird would have to happen for that to happen. Overall since that Japan loss they are having a super season. England were really using this as WC prep and we were still competitive with them. I know SA are so far ahead but you never know. Chile to beat first.

• Advertisement

Something weird would have to happen for that to happen. Overall since that Japan loss they are having a super season. England were really using this as WC prep and we were still competitive with them. I know SA are so far ahead but you never know. Chile to beat first.
    I know that. Just pointing out that mathematically we are not guaranteed to qualify but essentially we are qualified.
    I dont see anything to say we'll be near South Africa. We lost by 20 odd against Fiji each time we played them in world series. South Africa are similar standard.
    Chile will be beaten comfortably enough you imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bainneban

I know that. Just pointing out that mathematically we are not guaranteed to qualify but essentially we are qualified.
    I dont see anything to say we'll be near South Africa. We lost by 20 odd against Fiji each time we played them in world series. South Africa are similar standard.
    Chile will be beaten comfortably enough you imagine

Fiji looked like they were on another level completely the last time i saw Ireland play them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Poor ol Jordan Conroy did not have a good weekend.

Admittedly he is clearly a marked man now. And the lads probably could have done better to put him in space.

But his tackling and handling were poor. Against England, he dropped a bread and butter offload from Baloucoune (a lovely one too) for a guaranteed try and missed a tackle immediately after for England to go coast to coast. 14 point swing. Was the turning point of the match for me. A few other poor handling errors.

Terry Kennedy really impressed me. Top try scorer and he started almost every match off the bench. Really hungry for work, very physical and for my money, could take it to Conroy in a footrace. Serious wheels.

Dardis showing his ex fullback skills with some serious feet and a deadly turn of pace. Distribution skills and restarts were fantastic. He started the weekend off really well hitting some tricky conversions. But they seemed to tail off as the weekend went on.

Now that Roche is injured we have a depth problem behind Dardis.

Ireland depend so much on reclaiming restarts, the lads who took over the duty from Dardis weren't in the same level. If Dardis drops next weekend we could be in trouble.

Still though, serious squad. Can't wait to see how they get on next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

What's the TV coverage like for next weekend? Assume they will be late enough starts given the time difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

its the 20th it starts , firstm natch is 23.35

https://www.rwcsevens.com/fixtures-men

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    What's the TV coverage like for next weekend? Assume they will be late enough starts given the time difference.
    1.30am for chile game which isnt that bad but others will be later
    Dont know any channels showing games but world rugby will have decent enough streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Poor ol Jordan Conroy did not have a good weekend.

Admittedly he is clearly a marked man now. And the lads probably could have done better to put him in space.

But his tackling and handling were poor. Against England, he dropped a bread and butter offload from Baloucoune (a lovely one too) for a guaranteed try and missed a tackle immediately after for England to go coast to coast. 14 point swing. Was the turning point of the match for me. A few other poor handling errors.

Terry Kennedy really impressed me. Top try scorer and he started almost every match off the bench. Really hungry for work, very physical and for my money, could take it to Conroy in a footrace. Serious wheels.

Dardis showing his ex fullback skills with some serious feet and a deadly turn of pace. Distribution skills and restarts were fantastic. He started the weekend off really well hitting some tricky conversions. But they seemed to tail off as the weekend went on.

Now that Roche is injured we have a depth problem behind Dardis.

Ireland depend so much on reclaiming restarts, the lads who took over the duty from Dardis weren't in the same level. If Dardis drops next weekend we could be in trouble.

Still though, serious squad. Can't wait to see how they get on next weekend

And thats exactly why Conroy is not going to make it in 15s - have seen him play for Buccs in UBL over last couple of years-very weak in the tackle and when ball is put behind him. Serious gas but.....

Squad for San Fran named.

Robert Baloucoune (Enniskillen/Ballymena/Ulster)
    Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (UCD) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Foster Horan (Lansdowne)
    Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Dublin University)
    Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    John O'Donnell (Lansdowne)
    Greg O'Shea (Shannon)

Womens squad also named
    Kathy Baker (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
    Ashleigh Baxter (Cooke RFC/Ulster)
    Claire Boles (Railway Union RFC/Ulster)
    Aoife Doyle (Shannon RFC & Railway Union RFC/Munster)
    Katie Fitzhenry (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
    Stacey Flood (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
    Louise Galvin (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    Eve Higgins (Railway Union RFC/Leinster)
    Lucy Mulhall (Rathdrum RFC) Captain
    Amee-Leigh Murphy Crowe (Railway Union RFC/Munster)
    Deirbhile Nic a Bhaird (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
    Audrey O’Flynn (Ireland Women’s 7s Programme)
    Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Thud

Squad for San Fran named.

Robert Baloucoune (Enniskillen/Ballymena/Ulster)
    Jordan Conroy (Buccaneers)
    Shane Daly (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    Billy Dardis (UCD) (capt)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (Lansdowne)
    Foster Horan (Lansdowne)
    Hugo Keenan (UCD/Leinster)
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary's College)
    Harry McNulty (UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Dublin University)
    Jimmy O'Brien (UCD/Leinster)
    John O'Donnell (Lansdowne)
    Greg O'Shea (Shannon)

Has Foster Horan played much, haven't heard him mentioned in any of the events i've watched?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Has Foster Horan played much, haven't heard him mentioned in any of the events i've watched?

I vaguely remember him being in some sort of squad (maybe development).. I think shortly after he came home.

He's played in a few of the European tournaments this year and in the London 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Melodeon wrote: »
    Something I've been wondering about regarding Irish Sevens generally: are there any plans in place or considerations being made in regard to the flags and anthems issue when it comes to Sevens in the Olympic Games, does anyone know?

The IRFU have negotiated these potentially treacherous waters very well over the course of modern Irish/Northern Irish political history, and under the umbrella of World Rugby the vast majority of people are very happy with the 'whole island of Ireland' team and the Ireland Rugby flag and Ireland's Call anthem.

However, the Olympic Games are organised differently.
    'Ireland' at the Olympics is the Republic of Ireland and the team parades behind the tricolour, and in the event of a Gold medal winner, the tricolour is flown and Amhrna bhFiann is the anthem played.
    Team GB on the other hand comprises all the component parts of the United Kingdom, including Northern Ireland, and obviously uses the Union Flag and God Save The Queen.

My concern is for Irish Sevens players from Northern Ireland who, if they wish to compete at an Olympic Games, will be compelled to declare for one or the other.
    We all saw the unedifying spectacle of the fighting over Rory McIlroy in the lead up to the last Olympic Games, to the point where a potential Gold Medal winner chose to simply not participate.

I know nothing of the personal situations of any of the Sevens players from Northern Ireland, but there must be some for whom this would be a dilemma.
    Even if they personally have no issue with the tricolour and Amhrna bhFiann and are happy to represent Ireland, they don't live in isolation and would have to consider the family, cultural, and community difficulties that might be directed towards them.
    Equally, if they choose to represent Team GB, there would undoubtedly be criticism directed towards them from the other direction.

The only other sport I can think of off the top of my head that's in a similar situation is Field Hockey. Does anyone know how Hockey Ireland handle this issue?

I'd hate for this to descend into acrimony and throw a note of sourness and possible division into the burgeoning Irish Sevens programme, and I'd hope that greater minds than mine have considered it and made/are making plans to avoid potential difficulties.

It never has and it never will. I first watched Ireland play in 1956 at Lansdowne. I have played for decades, been involved and been an avid fan ever since. I can honestly say I have never heard any player in N.I. express negative views about playing under the Irish flag or anthem or express negative views of them as symbols of Irish rugby. That isn't to say that there are not some who are stupid enough to make an issue of it but they would be few and far between. There are morons in every society. There are plenty in the R.o.I who have negative views of players from N.I. and indeed from the wider parts of Ulster. For me it is just a tune and a piece of coloured cloth all be they items that some view as symbols that define who they are. I have always found that to be childlike and pretty weak minded.

As for the Olympics, a player from Ulster / N.I. will play for Ireland or no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Dha8QpdWsAA-a-d.jpg:medium

A tough 2nd game against South Africa for Ireland (assuming they beat Chile)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Dha8QpdWsAA-a-d.jpg:medium

Horrible draw. When you consider that we have beaten a number of those teams in recent weeks. They'd have had no fear playing most

• Advertisement

Tough second game indeed.

Only advantage would be we might get to catch South Africa cold.

Interestingly, the Head of Athletic Performance for sevens, was part of the South African set up for years. I wonder can he bring some valuable insights.
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/coaches/41353.php

Thats whats been said for while here. We should have little issue beating Chileans but will not beat South Africans so will then be in Champions Trophy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Elvisjuice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bit crap that there is no Live Streaming. I don't have ITV or Eir Sports :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Luckily enough I'm in SF for work, so planning to go along on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭seanin4711

all highlights

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

https://www.itv.com/hub/tv-guide

Lads I can't find which ITV the 7s is on

wp_rathead wrote: »
    https://www.itv.com/hub/tv-guide

Lads I can't find which ITV the 7s is on
    Highlights are only on ITV4 each night.