Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Thud

Keenan had trouble adjusting back to the sevens ruck speed, there's no way any 15s forward player can adjust between now and next month without playing competitive sevens games at the top level. A turnover because you took half a second too long to release the ball on the ground can turn a game in sevens

• Registered Users Posts: 38,273 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Sheehan is like lightning at the ruck, he's scored lots of tries grabbing the ball quickly and forcing his way in, he's scored plenty on the wing as well when he sees a move and gets on the outside as an extra man. I wouldn't be expecting any forward besides him to do a good job at sevens. He'd been great at the lineout and scrum as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

We have a women's team competing in world universities games in the 7s in France at the moment. 12 teams competing in men's and women's tournaments. Shame no men's team traveled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Isn't there criteria you must meet to be eligible for the Olympics? I can't remember where I read it but doesn't one need to play in 2 tournaments minimum prior to the Olympics?

If someone was going to put their name in the hat for the Olympic squad I think they would have needed to do so by now because there is only one tournament left before Paris

TThere Is and it was an article saying they had to play I think 2 tournaments to be eligible. So if they hadn't played world series they had to play in the rugby Europe series

• Advertisement

South africa won mens repechage this weekend in monaco for final spot in paris

China sealed final spot in womens tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

We have NZ, SA, Japan in our group for the Olympics

YEah groups made. I thought it would be later.

Saopaolo That's mens draw.

Women play Australia, Britain and South africa

Other groups

Men

Argentina, Australia, Samoa, Kenya

France, Fiji, USA, Uruguay

Women

New Zealand, Fiji, Canada, China

France, USA, Japan, brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

groups based on rankings (ie there wasn’t a draw to be made)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

We can't seem to catch a break with regard to Group we're in for major competitions, 15's WC was based on rankings a couple of years ago and we all know how that turned out, now the Olympics 7's based on current rankings and we get SA and NZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

We can beat all those teams. I'm sure NZ and SA aren't thrilled to have us in there either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Avoided France, Fiji and Argentina all of whom are potential winners. We're dining at the top table at 7s and 15s can't complain about tough pools if we consider ourselves winners at anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What rankings were used? I assume there's a world rankings table similar to the 15s but I cannot. If you base it on recent form then we've definitely found ourselves in the toughest group.

Don't think it matters too much given the nature of the game, the tournament format and the small gap between top teams.

The 12 men’s and 12 women’s teams were allocated to three pools of four teams based on their rankings due to performances over the last two years of the HSBC SVNS Series, Challenger Series and other World Rugby-sanctioned tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

👍 I assumed it was likely to be over two seasons as that kind of adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Strange Team GB didnt qualify , given its 3 countrys together for Olympics, and finalists last time, and we qualified pretty easily and are relativly new to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

They have pedigree and had a few injuries i think in last seasons HSBC 7's

We're fairly eestablished at top level now tbf. We've been a world series side for 5/6 years and been quite strong on series as well.

Britain Tgot to both the final of European games losing to ireland and to final of repechage losing to blitzboks so we're very close to qualifying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

GB 9th in the World Series for 22/23 (the Olympic qualifying one) and 8th in the World Series for 23/24

England were 10th in 21/22 too so them not qualifying isn’t a shock really. Anything can happen in 7s but over 3 years, the pattern tells it all

We’ll be a medal contender (as will France, NZ, Argentina and Fiji)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Ireland U-18 Boys 7s Squad

1. Hamish Milhench (Dulwich College/Harlequins/IQ Rugby)
    2. Daniel Ryan (St. Michael’s College/Leinster)
    3. Eoin Conlon (CBS Mullingar/Mullingar RFC/Leinster)
    4. Conall Cournane (Colaiste na Sceilge/Iveragh Eagles/Munster)
    5. Darragh O’Dwyer (Gonzaga College/Leinster)
    6. Jack Deegan (Cistercian College Roscrea/Athy RFC/Leinster)
    7. Johnny O’Sullivan (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    8. Michael O’Sullivan (Blackrock College/Iveragh Eagles/Munster)
    9. Cal Traynor Russell (CBC Monkstown/Leinster)
    10. Freddie Bracken-Smith (Eton College/Saracens/IQ Rugby)
    11. Nathan Bottomley (St. Paul’s School, London/IQ Rugby)
    12. Billy Blair (St. Joseph’s College, Sydney/IQ Rugby)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

What an interesting team sheet. No Ulster, no connacht, some very posh looking IQ and two guys from the same club in kerry of all places.

Not a criticism but just a real outlier of a team sheet lol. Hopefully some of the IQ guys show out and end up in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭theVersatile

And one of those Kerry lads somehow managed to find his way to BlackRock College?!

Interesting that the IQ rugby system is spreading beyond England into Australia

We don't play 7s here really while many of the independent schools in Britain play a season of events so if they're in exiles system at all they'll likely get picked

Iq system has been trying to expand more in recent years. So good to see some coming up for a look.

Rock boarding. Plenty have came up from down south or out west to board as so few rugby playjng boarding schools in rest of country now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Did anything ever come of the big lad who was Canada based who played a few dev tournaments a few years back? Can't remember his name but he was ex Kilkenny College iirc.

No. Played a few tournaments. Involved in wider squad on a contract for 17/18 months but UK based now and not sure if playing anything now

18s 7s

Boys beat Germany 26-0, lost to Lithuania 24-0, beat Romania 38-0, play Belgium next in quarters.

Girls beat Belgium 21-5, lost to france 43-0, play Czech Republic in final pool game for today soon. Play Poland, Spain and Portugal tomorrow

Girls beat Poland 28-5, lost to Spain 22-12 and beat Portugal 43-0 to finish 4th behind france, Spain and Czech Republic.

Boys beat Belgium 19-7 lost in semis to Spain 12-7 and beat Germany 21-14 to finish 3rd

Advertisement