Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Options
1828384858688»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Rugbyf565

nah I’m done listening to the Dupont glazing, give it to Fiji or Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Nermal

I watched all group games. I don't watch sevens often, and was pleasantly surprised by how few 'give it to the fast guy and let him burn a defender on the outside' tries there were. Obviously this is the highest level of the sport, but it was still interesting to see how good defences were in terms of spacing and sometimes giving ground but ensuring a linebreak didn't arise. Attackers were extremely cautious not to get ahead of support unless they were nearly sure of making the tryline. I don't get the joke comments, to be honest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The pitch is smaller than usual which probably contributes to this somewhat.

I don't really think either Keenan or Dupont have stood out, which probably says something. It is clear that Dupont's strength and conditioning is better than the other guys, and he is able to physically overpower some players, but that aside I haven't seen much from him. I think the games are just diverging too much and a good 7s player is going to be better than the best XVs at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You sure about that? Isn't it played on a full size pitch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Normally yes, but they have added a running track around the pitch at the SdF so it's noticeably smaller than usual. I'm sure it is having an impact on how the games are played.

• Advertisement
Advertisement