Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey Glazed Ham & Stuffing

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm on cooking duty this year for Christmas and I'm really looking forward to it.
    I'm gonna make chicken (none of us like turkey), creamy garlic & cheese potatoes, veg, rosemary & garlic roast spuds and a glazed ham...drooool!

I have it all under control except for the ham cause I've never done it before. I have no idea how to cook a ham, for how long, how I glaze it, what to glaze it with or anything...can you guys help me?

Also, I make sausage meat stuffingw hich is always delicious but can be a wee bit dry. I don't usually crack an egg into it but I was thinking this might work to moisten it up...or maybe add some stock.

One last thing, with the stuffing, I usually leave it wrapped in tinfoil outside the chicken cause spreading the chicks legs and shoving it in freaks me out! Any tips on how to do this?

Thank you and happy almost Christmas!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Beetlebum wrote: »
    One last thing, with the stuffing, I usually leave it wrapped in tinfoil outside the chicken cause spreading the chicks legs and shoving it in freaks me out! Any tips on how to do this?

No tips needed 'cos I do the same thing. I find that the stuffing cooks a lot better if it's not in the bird. I'd just put a 1/2 lemon in there instead.

Ham cooked in cider (2 pints, 1 pint of apple juice, some cloves) is very nice. 1.5 hours for a 4lb joint. Take it out, score the fatty part and glaze (mustard, honey-mustard, marmalade, there are a lot of options) and roast for 10 minutes to crisp up the fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

hey Beetlebum sorry for jumping in on your post but your idea of creamy garlic and cheese potatoes sound yummy :P Any chance you would mind telling me exactly how to do these ? I, like you, have the family this year and never did a full xmas dinner before ...sorry I cant help with your ham question..I'm having nightmares at this stage about the turkey never mind the ham !.thanks a lot;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Rosielee wrote: »
    hey Beetlebum sorry for jumping in on your post but your idea of creamy garlic and cheese potatoes sound yummy :P Any chance you would mind telling me exactly how to do these ? I, like you, have the family this year and never did a full xmas dinner before ...sorry I cant help with your ham question..I'm having nightmares at this stage about the turkey never mind the ham !.thanks a lot;)

Hey Rosielee,

These potaotes are so tasty and they're really easy to make. I'll give you a step by step guide...oh, I'm hungry just thinking of them!

Ingredients - Pototoes, tub of cream, lots of crushed fresh garlic, cheese.

1) Peel potatoes (you'll know yourself how many you need depending on how many people..say, 2-3 spuds per person). Cut in half and place in cold lightly salted water.

2) Once they come to the boil, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes (par boil, they should be still quite hard).

3) Finely dice or crush as much garlic as you like. I love garlic so I put in about 6 cloves, and fry it in butter for a couple of minutes. Add the cream, salt, cracked black pepper and stir.

4) Drain potatoes and cut into slices. Grease the base of an oven dish (I use the same dish I cook lasagne in and I grease it with the foil from a tub of butter or margarine.

5) Cover the base with slices of potatoe, pour some of the creamy sauce over it. Continue to layer the dish with potatoe and the cream. You can also scatter some grated cheese throughout. Once it's layered up, smoother in grated cheese.

6) Pop it into the oven covered in tinfoil for about 40-45 minutes. Take the foil off then and brown the top under the grill for about 10 minutes.

Enjoy....these are so good that last weekend I woke up and found my bf standing in the kitchen eating them cold at 10 in the morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Ponster wrote: »
    Ham cooked in cider (2 pints, 1 pint of apple juice, some cloves) is very nice. 1.5 hours for a 4lb joint. Take it out, score the fatty part and glaze (mustard, honey-mustard, marmalade, there are a lot of options) and roast for 10 minutes to crisp up the fat.

A very good friend of mine was doing the Christmas dinner for his family for the first time and asked my Ma for a recipe for glazed ham. Boil the ham says she, then take it out, score the fatty part and glaze it with honey and mustard....... somehow the next bit got lost in translation and instead of putting the anointed ham in the oven to crisp up, he put it back in the pot.

The ham remained edible, but with a serious lack of glaze.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭smallgarden

to glaze cooked ham
    score fat to create diamond design,stick cloves in each corner of diamond,
    mix brown sugar and honey to make paste,cover ham in this mixture,roast in oven for about half an hour,make sure its uncovered to get golden colour,baste throughout cooking if want

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Thanks a lot Beetlebum :D They sound yummy and i'll do a test run at the weekend just to be sure....best of luck with the glazed ham..i'm sure your's will turn out gorgeous !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just honey and mustard (I like Djion) for the glaze works a treat.
    Could also use pepper, brownsugar, mustard powder, red currant jelly.
    Once I reduced a carton of clear apple juice down to a sticky syrup and mixed that with mustard - very good.
    Basically, use what you like but mustard and something sweet works best.

Take off skin, score fat, smother in glaze (best if its not to runny), push in cloves and put in hot oven, uncovered for 1 - 20mins.

As for how long to boil it, google ham/gammon cooking times.

If your stuffing is dry, it probably needs more fat - butter is probably best. Adding an egg will make it very dense and non-crumbly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Just honey and mustard (I like Djion) for the glaze works a treat.
    Could also use pepper, brownsugar, mustard powder, red currant jelly.
    Once I reduced a carton of clear apple juice down to a sticky syrup and mixed that with mustard - very good.
    Basically, use what you like but mustard and something sweet works best.

Take off skin, score fat, smother in glaze (best if its not to runny), push in cloves and put in hot oven, uncovered for 1 - 20mins.

As for how long to boil it, google ham/gammon cooking times.

If your stuffing is dry, it probably needs more fat - butter is probably best. Adding an egg will make it very dense and non-crumbly

Fair play to ya. That sounds great.

Thanks

Advertisement