Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom line-connection rules - #ripoffireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

dub45 wrote: »
    How exactly are they holding the customer to ransom? No one is forcing anyone to avail of Eircom's services. The alternatives may not be ideal but they are there.

Unfortunately, in this particular case, they are forcing you to pay for 6 months line rental up front.
    Line rental that you will have to pay again as part of your contract with another provider

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zoro wrote: »
    That's what I thought at first, and was the cause of a couple of confused conversations on the phone with both Eircom and Magnet.

Basically, to have my house's line reconnected (so that Magnet could offer me a service) I had to activate the line with Eircom, and commit to a 6 month contract (for line rental only) - which I could pay up front in full if I wanted out of the contract early.
    Then, and only then, would Magnet be permitted to take over the running of the line and offer me a service on it.

So why could magnet not initiate the process for you? there is no double payment involved unless you choose that route presumably?

So why could magnet not initiate the process for you? there is no double payment involved unless you choose that route presumably?

Magnet, at the time, had no way to do it themselves. They had no choice but to direct me to Eircom to do it myself.
    At the time, Eircom were not dealing with other providers to allow them to do it for them- or at least, with Magnet.

Believe me, when I posted this thread it wasn't just a rant (well, partially), it was after a number of calls with Magnet and Eircom,... plus some mails to Comreg

there is no double payment involved unless you choose that route presumably?

Missed this, sorry: There would have been double payment regardless of who had applied on my behalf. Eircom wanted their 6 month contract, no matter who they spoke to (I was told this by Magnet)

Missed this, sorry: There would have been double payment regardless of who had applied on my behalf. Eircom wanted their 6 month contract, no matter who they spoke to (I was told this by Magnet)

But that appears to be misinformation from Magnet. there is no provision for that in the new agreement at least as far as I can see?

• Advertisement

But that appears to be misinformation from Magnet. there is no provision for that in the new agreement at least as far as I can see?

At the time, Magnet said that they had no option to waive the additional costs, and that they couldn't get around the system on my behalf. Eircom's new (at that time, only a week or so old) rules were causing them quite a bit of damage

At the time, Magnet said that they had no option to waive the additional costs, and that they couldn't get around the system on my behalf. Eircom's new (at that time, only a week or so old) rules were causing them quite a bit of damage

But there should have been no getting around the system. There appears to be no system that would require double charging. Presumably the proposed changes had to be notified to Comreg in advance of their introduction and something should have been put in place to inform the other isps?

(By the way lest anyone accuse me of it I am not defending Eircom here I am just trying to tease out the reality of what should be happening)

But there should have been no getting around the system. There appears to be no system that would require double charging. Presumably the proposed changes had to be notified to Comreg in advance of their introduction and something should have been put in place to inform the other isps?
    I was told that the only way I would get a service from Magnet (by Magnet themselves) as a result of this rule, was to get Eircom to reconnect me myself. Eircom were not accepting these applications from providers - only from customers.
    Again, there was no possible way for me to get around this fact - I was told it by multiple people on the Magnet call lines, and was also told that at least 1 person had already gone through with this process and negotiated a reduced payment to Eircom directly in order to allow him to move to Magnet
    (By the way lest anyone accuse me of it I am not defending Eircom here I am just trying to tease out the reality of what should be happening)

My next post was actually ask you why you were being so hostile about it all :)

I was told that the only way I would get a service from Magnet (by Magnet themselves) as a result of this rule, was to get Eircom to reconnect me myself. Eircom were not accepting these applications from providers - only from customers.
    Again, there was no possible way for me to get around this fact - I was told it by multiple people on the Magnet call lines, and was also told that at least 1 person had already gone through with this process and negotiated a reduced payment to Eircom directly in order to allow him to move to Magnet

My next post was actually ask you why you were being so hostile about it all :)

The reality appears to be that Magnets inability to arrange the line for you (for whatever reason) was the major contributor here. And that raises questions as to how this came about - whether it was them or the system being introduced without due warning.

As far as I remember from previous threads here there was always the arrangement that any isp could request a new line for you or reactivation of it but people preferred to do it through Eircom and then transfer to another isp.

But to clarify things for people considering getting dsl bb the choice is get your line activated through Eircom and you are stuck with them for six months or get it done through the dsl bb provider of your choice. there is no actual requirement to pay a double line rental.

there is no actual requirement to pay a double line rental.

As I understand it, this is now correct.
    This thread, however, was created in early Dec 2009 :)

• Advertisement

As I understand it, this is now correct.
    This thread, however, was created in early Dec 2009 :)

And there was no provision then for Eircom to double charge either! :) And people are still today making similar claims.

And there was no provision then for Eircom to double charge either! :) And people are still today making similar claims.

Pfft. All I know is that Magnet couldn't (or wouldn't?) do anything on my behalf back then. Eircom were (apparantly) stonewalling them.
    Eircom wanted 6 month's line rental up front to let me out of the contract, where I would be paying line rental all over again with Magnet.

Them there's the facts Mr. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I've never actually encountered it myself - I have just recently signed up with Magnet, and have heard no such thing. I even called them today to arrange an engineer to install an NTU, and no issues :confused:

Could this be a case of someone getting confused? However - I will say this. Eircom support do NOT KNOW that you do not need an account with them in order for them to activate a line / install a line / install an NTU.
    I had an e-mail from a member of Eircom support (whom I know) who stated that in order for them to activate my line and install an NTU - I would have to pay line rental.

I stated I know this, the line is already active, and I'll be paying line rental to Magnet, but they couldn't understand this, and insisted I had to pay Eircom.

Could this piece of mis-information be coming from Eircom staff?

I've never actually encountered it myself - I have just recently signed up with Magnet, and have heard no such thing. I even called them today to arrange an engineer to install an NTU, and no issues :confused:

Could this be a case of someone getting confused? However - I will say this. Eircom support do NOT KNOW that you do not need an account with them in order for them to activate a line / install a line / install an NTU.
    I had an e-mail from a member of Eircom support (whom I know) who stated that in order for them to activate my line and install an NTU - I would have to pay line rental.

I stated I know this, the line is already active, and I'll be paying line rental to Magnet, but they couldn't understand this, and insisted I had to pay Eircom.

Could this piece of mis-information be coming from Eircom staff?

There is obviously confusion somewhere along the line.

But it is important that people contemplating getting a new line should understand the new procedures. If you want bb with an isp other than Eircom order your line or reactivation though them. There is no double line rental.

As far as I know you could always do this anyways?

There is obviously confusion somewhere along the line.

But it is important that people contemplating getting a new line should understand the new procedures. If you want bb with an isp other than Eircom order your line or reactivation though them. There is no double line rental.

As far as I know you could always do this anyways?

The rules absolute definitely 100% changed last Dec (or at least late Nov), but granted there was likely some confusion and miscommunication at the time.

Right now, I'm guessing that the issues I experienced no longed exist

Pfft. All I know is that Magnet couldn't (or wouldn't?) do anything on my behalf back then. Eircom were (apparantly) stonewalling them.
    Eircom wanted 6 month's line rental up front to let me out of the contract, where I would be paying line rental all over again with Magnet.

Them there's the facts Mr. ;)

Yes but you had signed a contract for six months with Eircom no?

Magnet should have clarified the position for you earlier and you are relying on information from them to make your case. As a matter of interest why did you not just sign up for six months bb with Eircom and then transfer to Magnet?

Yes but you had signed a contract for six months with Eircom no?

Magnet should have clarified the position for you earlier and you are relying on information from them to make your case. As a matter of interest why did you not just sign up for six months bb with Eircom and then transfer to Magnet?

I signed nothing with either Eircom or Magnet. I had set the ball rolling with signing up with Magnet until I was hit with the 6-month-contract Eircom news.
    Magnet clarified it all very, very well, and stated in no uncertain terms that it was an issue with Eircom's new rules.

And I didn't sign up with Eircom (and then transfer) because I had (and still have) serious issues with giving Eircom money I don't have to. Line rental is a requirement, but anything above and beyond that? They can pry it from my cold, dead fingers. They've held back the development of tech in this country for decades. They can go and shove it :)

I signed nothing with either Eircom or Magnet. I had set the ball rolling with signing up with Magnet until I was hit with the 6-month-contract Eircom news.
    Magnet clarified it all very, very well, and stated in no uncertain terms that it was an issue with Eircom's new rules.

And I didn't sign up with Eircom (and then transfer) because I had (and still have) serious issues with giving Eircom money I don't have to. Line rental is a requirement, but anything above and beyond that? They can pry it from my cold, dead fingers. They've held back the development of tech in this country for decades. They can go and shove it :)

If Magnet accepted your order then it was up to them to pursue the matter on your behalf simple as that. From what you have posted earlier it appeared that Magnet did not clarify things for you very well at all?

If Magnet accepted your order then it was up to them to pursue the matter on your behalf simple as that. From what you have posted earlier it appeared that Magnet did not clarify things for you very well at all?

Magnet accepted the order, and came back to me because of this problem

Magnet accepted the order, and came back to me because of this problem

Have you read this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757346 It looks from that as if Magnet were very slow to get their act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

I moved into a new build house recently which has no existing landline.
    I wanted to avail of BB from Vodafone but when they checked it out for me they told me that their request through to Eircom came back as Negative and that that they couldnt provide me with BB service. They told me that Eircom either Accept or Deny the request and no explanations are given. So I was told to ring Eircom and find out why.

So I contacted Eircom and they told me that the reason was that as there was no previous landline connected, that Eircom would have to install it and that it was only Eircom that can install new land lines.

I want to get 8MB BB from Vodafone as it is 40 Euro including Line Rental. The equivalent from Eircom is 55Euro inclduing the Line rental. So its a no brainer that I would want the cheaper package.

With Eircom's 6 month minimum contract, is that not a monopoly where they basically are forcing all new Land Line subscribers to go with them ?
    Surely Eircom instead should be charging an installation fee for the landline. Then if decide to go with Vodafone, I pay line rental to Vodafone who then pay Eircom. Or if I go with Eircom then I pay line rental to them directly.

Surely getting a land line should be independent of packages and services. Considering they are the only company that can provide the line.

What are my options ? Can I pay out €150 installation fee to Eircom and then just go with Vodafone ? Surely Vodafone shouold have offered that as an option to me ? Seems like a game going on.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I wanted to avail of BB from Vodafone but when they checked it out for me they told me that their request through to Eircom came back as Negative and that that they couldnt provide me with BB service. They told me that Eircom either Accept or Deny the request and no explanations are given. So I was told to ring Eircom and find out why.

So I contacted Eircom and they told me that the reason was that as there was no previous landline connected, that Eircom would have to install it and that it was only Eircom that can install new land lines.

I want to get 8MB BB from Vodafone as it is 40 Euro including Line Rental. The equivalent from Eircom is 55Euro inclduing the Line rental. So its a no brainer that I would want the cheaper package.

With Eircom's 6 month minimum contract, is that not a monopoly where they basically are forcing all new Land Line subscribers to go with them ?
    Surely Eircom instead should be charging an installation fee for the landline. Then if decide to go with Vodafone, I pay line rental to Vodafone who then pay Eircom. Or if I go with Eircom then I pay line rental to them directly.

Surely getting a land line should be independent of packages and services. Considering they are the only company that can provide the line.

What are my options ? Can I pay out €150 installation fee to Eircom and then just go with Vodafone ? Surely Vodafone shouold have offered that as an option to me ? Seems like a game going on.

If you are on one of our exchanges we can offer a line without the need to contact eircom.

Hi Rory

I am in Castletroy Exchange in Limerick.

Thanks Dave

Hi Rory

I am in Castletroy Exchange in Limerick.

Thanks Dave

We can do it then. Would you like a call?

We have ADSL2+ equipment there.

Now *that* is amazing customer service/poaching ;)
    Well done Rory. Well done indeed :D

Have you read this thread? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055757346 It looks from that as if Magnet were very slow to get their act together.

We can now order lines in circumstances where there is no insitu lines (only in areas where we have equipment).

That would be great. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

^---- This should not be happening. By forcing a customer to order a line with Eircom that user is then tied to Eircom for six months of line-rental. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, the customer is always losing out because they can't get what they desire, what they should be getting. They are forced to either pay the six-months line rental to Eircom upfront (maybe on top of an installation fee?) and switch to another provider where they'll be paying another six months line rental or to wait it out on Eircom for the first six months before switching. It's ridiculous.

*I understand that this isn't an issue for some providers (e.g. Magnet)

What just happened there. Forty minutes after I posted and I'm signed up to Magnet :) Thanks Rory

• Advertisement

What just happened there. Forty minutes after I posted and I'm signed up to Magnet :) Thanks Rory

Keep me informed as to how the line install goes.

Advertisement