Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom line-connection rules - #ripoffireland?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I moved into a new build house recently which has no existing landline.
    I wanted to avail of BB from Vodafone but when they checked it out for me they told me that their request through to Eircom came back as Negative and that that they couldnt provide me with BB service. They told me that Eircom either Accept or Deny the request and no explanations are given. So I was told to ring Eircom and find out why.

So I contacted Eircom and they told me that the reason was that as there was no previous landline connected, that Eircom would have to install it and that it was only Eircom that can install new land lines.

I want to get 8MB BB from Vodafone as it is 40 Euro including Line Rental. The equivalent from Eircom is 55Euro inclduing the Line rental. So its a no brainer that I would want the cheaper package.

With Eircom's 6 month minimum contract, is that not a monopoly where they basically are forcing all new Land Line subscribers to go with them ?
    Surely Eircom instead should be charging an installation fee for the landline. Then if decide to go with Vodafone, I pay line rental to Vodafone who then pay Eircom. Or if I go with Eircom then I pay line rental to them directly.

Surely getting a land line should be independent of packages and services. Considering they are the only company that can provide the line.

What are my options ? Can I pay out €150 installation fee to Eircom and then just go with Vodafone ? Surely Vodafone shouold have offered that as an option to me ? Seems like a game going on.

It looks as if Vodafone like Magnet in the earlier post played a part in this debacle.

From reading your post it looks as if Vodafone allowed you to order broadband alone when they should have been saying to you that we will have to order a new line for you in addition to the bb product.

If they submit an order for bb alone to Eircom, when there is no line installed, then naturally Eircom will come back and say no can do.

It has been pointed out in this thread somewhere that all isps have been in a position to order new lines for customers for some time now. It would appear that some csrs do not know this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Are you sure that you can't just pay eircom the line activation / installation fee and not subscribe to any eircom talktime or DSL packages?

They've always had a 6 month minimum term on their DSL packages, although as far as I remember talktime was always just month to month.

Solair wrote: »
    Are you sure that you can't just pay eircom the line activation / installation fee and not subscribe to any eircom talktime or DSL packages?

They've always had a 6 month minimum term on their DSL packages, although as far as I remember talktime was always just month to month.

No that is the point of the thread - if you ask Eircom to install your line you now have to stick with them for a minimum period. So the correct procedure is to order your line through whichever isp you want to do business with. Some isps do not seem to have got their act together for this new arrangement thus the confusion.

I presume Eircom got fed up incurring the costs of setting up new accounts etc for people who then immediately went elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

People should have a chocie of who they want to go with for DSL just because eircon owns the lines shouldnt mean you should be bound to them for 6 months..and to be honest its their own fault people are going to other providers now with them watching for these ''illegal downloads'' and then their sky high prices who would even bother with them anymore i certainly dont want anything got to do with eircon or vodagroan anymore they equal to eachother vodagroan being worse for relieabilty

jay93 wrote: »
    People should have a chocie of who they want to go with for DSL just because eircon owns the lines shouldnt mean you should be bound to them for 6 months..and to be honest its their own fault people are going to other providers now with them watching for these ''illegal downloads'' and then their sky high prices who would even bother with them anymore i certainly dont want anything got to do with eircon or vodagroan anymore they equal to eachother vodagroan being worse for relieabilty

If you bothered to read the thread you would see that nobody's choice of dsl is restricted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement