Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike65s Bread Pudding Delight

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Well its not bad. :)

In these hard times bread pudding is an ideal way of baking up a quick cheap filler which can last a week or more in the fridge (asuming you haven't eaten it all).

Using a glass shallow baking dish (adjust amounts to suit capacity)

6 slices of bread (I use wholemeal brown that is the last few slices of old loaf and the top few slices of new loaf)
    1.5 mugs of milk
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons of butter
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    A handfull of sultanas or other dried fruits
    A few splashes of Cinnamon

Break up bread into bit sized bits and add dried fruit as you drop into baking dish, settle it with fingers.

Melt butter in pan, pour milk into bowl add egg add cinnamon mix by hand add butter add sugar mix some more.

Add mix (you want the milky mix to nearly reach the top of the bread) pat down bread or add more bread as required. Sprinkle more dried fruit on top and finish off with a thin layer of brown sugar.

Place in top oven (if you have one) and cook at 150C for about 25 mins. A full sized oven should be preheated and then cook for 30/35 mins.

I find it tastes best if left to cool and then refridgerated. I haven't tried it with ice-cream but I suspect it would go down well with vanilla flavour.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd also add a little bit of suet if I happened to have any in the fridge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Just gave this a go and it's currently cooling in the fridge. Will see how it turns out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then anyone try it? Or did the birds have a feast? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thumbs up here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

nice recipe.... the only change i would make if i was doin it myself woujld be to use white bread and add either half a vanilla pod or some vanilla extract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fair enough, I'm a brown bread man myself :)

Advertisement