Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endocrinologist in the Regional Hospital

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Has anyone ever been to see Dr O'Hare an endocrinologist in the Regional? I'm due to go to see him but I dont know what to expect from this type of doctor. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Sorry I can't help you - but best of luck with your visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

I was there with him about 2 years ago.Firstly i knew there was nothing up with me so i was relaxed bout seeing him. A docter refered me to use Dr o hares knowlege.I was with him twice.Both times in his clinic in the regional.
    If its ur first time to see him? all his patients go through some type of routine check up? Nothing much to it,i think weight , height ,blood pressure and they hook u up to a machine but monitors on ur heart for bout 2 mins just to check ur heart beat i think.This happens on ur first visit only,so ask the girl on reception when u check in do u have to go for this check up say its ur first time there.Might speed up ur waiting time i didnt know bout that test and it prolonged my apponitment.

I will say its a very busy clinic,i had appointment at 3 and i was there both times till 6.30 pm.
    It so happened both times i was the very last patient to be seen ,my file both times ended up on the bottom of the files everytime? even tho i was watching people come in well after me,so i wasn t happy.
    As for the doctor i had heard he was full of himself....that doesnt really matter but he was. He was a pleasnt guy who i hope well knows his stuff by 6.30 he was prob tired too.He also had a young foriegn intern with him who he was showing what to do.As i said there was really nothing wrong with me so i was nt worried either was he.
    So best of luck with ur appointment bring a book and try relax hope ur fine.Pm if u have any other quieries?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I've been to see him twice in the last ten years.
    Happily there were no major medical issues.

I found him slightly aloof and almost regal in manner but quite pleasant and professional.
    He was helpful and addressed the few concerns I asked him about.

Overall I was quite happy with his treatment of me and his demeanor.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Hey...

Im a regular to the man himself for my diabetes but don't go to the clinic I see him privately! He is a brilliant doctor first and foremost and will do whatever is best for you. Personality wise he is straight laced with the usual simple doctor chat. He has a thing to look at you intently but that could be because I feel like he is seeing whether I am lying about my blood sugar readings!:pac: Overall you have nothing to fear at all...good luck with it and if you want to know anything drop me a pm!:D

Badaulname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 popsicle123

Thanks for that. I wasnt sure what kind of tests and stuff that he would do on the first day. I've been waiting 4 months already for an appointment and they reckon it'll be January before he sees me.

Does he do a glucose intolerance test on everyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

He may send you to the Regional Hosp for a glucose tolerance test.

Basically, it goes something like this:

You will need to be fasting for at least 12 hrs.

You have a fasting blood sample taken, then you are given a bottle of Lucozade to drink over about 5 mins.

Then you have another blood sample taken after an hour,
    then you have another blood sample taken after another hour.

When all the blood samples are checked in the lab, their blood-glucose levels are noted and especially how quickly the blood-glucose drop back to normal levels. This, I think, determines if you are a diabetic or not.

I'm not a medic but this is how it went for me.

John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pat donnelly

He is aloof and not very good at communication..cannot follow up with patient...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He is aloof and not very good at communication..cannot follow up with patient...:D

I thought that too. I saw him at his private practice. He comes across very professional, which is great, but getting info on my test results was difficult.

Advertisement