Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has PES lost ground on fifa?

Options
  • 09-12-2009 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I grew up playing fifa games. I've always loved them up until a few years ago (2006ish) when i played the newest PES out at the time. I had to concede that it was a much better game than the fifa equivalent at the time. That carried on for a few years up until last year when i thought to myself it was time to buy the new PES (2009) instead of the new fifa. It was rubbish. The master league mode is a joke. Not fun, not realistic, not enjoyable. I eventually got rid of it and got fifa 09. Hoping that this was just a lapse by konami, i played PES 2010 there a few days ago and to my horror it was worse than 09. It doesn't feel as intuitive as fifa. The lack of 360 dribbling is noticable, but i even think dribbling is worse than in fifa 09. Has anyone else lost interest in PES?

(I know that there are people who love PES and i'm not trying to slag)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I honestly think PES and FIFA are back on equal footing this year. PES ain't as easy to play first tiem round but once you get used/good at it it can blow your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Graphics: Fifa > Pro

Overall Gameplay: Fifa > Pro

Authenticity (Licensing, No. of clubs etc): Fifa > Pro

Online: Fifa > Pro

I used to love Pro, never bought a Fifa game ever, until '09. Pro, mainly sinced it has left the PS2 has become shite, lost it's sense of fun, gone backwards in terms of gameplay, and has become frustratingly static on its developing of no. of teams etc in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I think pes looks nicer than Fifa. I think Fifa 10 is not a patch on Fifa 09. But pes has been terrible since its ps2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Does jordan sleep on her back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Does jordan sleep on her back ?

Yeah, its where she spends most of her day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

never stepped its game up after next gen console switch.

i use to be a pes man until last year when fifa 09 came out it just blew pes away with everything from gameplay to features.

konami had the cheeck to sell pes to its loyal fanbase with the worst online play iv ever seen they should have refunded everyone it was a joke.

this year pes has improved but its just not good enough it really isnt just cant stack up to fifa10.

can someone tell me why pes seems to go one step foward and then 2 or 3 steps backwards lol... i mean one year they will have arsenal and chelsea kits and then the next year you hear they got united and pool but then you find out only that they get rid of arsenal and chelsea just a joke of a game.

i grew out of master league when i was 16 they need to step it up i mean a champions league mode are you serious? its just tacky!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

I've been a PES man since it was International Superstar Soccer for the SNES. Carried onto PS2 and then PS3. Have the latest version, and I think it's still as good as ever. Saying that, I only play against mates - don't play the Master League or online. I wouldn't be too bothered about the lack of kits, teams etc. Who really wants to play a Championship/League 1/League 2 match? Besides fans of those teams obviously, but once you realise how muck they are you're gonna go back to playing with the better teams.

Played FIFA 09 for the first time the other day against a mate - we had heard the hype about it and how PES fans were making the switch. Have to say, wasn't impressed. I never liked the gameplay in FIFA, and it hasn't improved. You're always waiting that split second between when you press a button and it actually does something. That's the one thing I love about PES - the gameplay. If you spot that through-ball, a quick triangle and BANG! In on goal. Responsiveness is top notch.

Still can't beat the gameplay of Pro Ev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Have always been a PES man until I believed the hype and went for FIFA this year. Fantastic, very impressive. I think Ive been won over.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Have always been a PES man until I believed the hype and went for FIFA this year. Fantastic, very impressive. I think Ive been won over.

I'll have to give FIFA 10 a whirl. Although heard the same about 09 and wasn't too impressed.

One thing I've always preferred about PES is the gameplay. Has FIFA really caught up with PES on gameplay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

You're always waiting that split second between when you press a button and it actually does something. That's the one thing I love about PES - the gameplay. If you spot that through-ball, a quick triangle and BANG! In on goal. Responsiveness is top notch..
    I understand what you mean, and it hasn't changed in FIFA 10. I'm a FIFA guy, but the one thing I like about that it actually involves skill. You've always got to be on the lookout for that through-ball, and you always need to make intelligent plays to actually score. FIFA is a real football simulator whereas PES is more of an arcade game. I still think you should give FIFA 10 a go though, I love it personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

Beau x1 wrote: »
    I understand what you mean, and it hasn't changed in FIFA 10. I'm a FIFA guy, but the one thing I like about that it actually involves skill. You've always got to be on the lookout for that through-ball, and you always need to make intelligent plays to actually score. FIFA is a real football simulator whereas PES is more of an arcade game. I still think you should give FIFA 10 a go though, I love it personally.

i'll explain why your wrong. is it easy to score from midfield in real soccer? do players score from free kicks often? do you see players playing defense splitting passes from everywhere on the pitch in real life and getting several 1v1's against the keeper in a match?

the answer to all of them is no but if you ask the same about fifa the answer would be yes. every game of fifa follows the same boring predictable pattern. get ball, tap L1, hold triangle, release triangle, sprint, lob keeper, celebrate. anyone with any appreciation for soccer and genuine good play couldn't possibly play fifa.

Beau x1 wrote: »

I don't agree either that PES is more of an arcade game - I think that back in it's SNES days it had the feeling of an arcade game alright but for the past 10 years I reckon it's the most realistic game out there.

There always were a few things that annoyed me about the most recent PESs, like the fact that cut backs are so easy. But honestly, I reckon the only thing FIFA has going for it is the licensing of kits, leagues etc. And that doesn't bother me too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Ardent

In reply to the OP - yes, FIFA is the new king of football games. I know, I've played PES since PES5 and they've made a balls of the franchise in recent years. FIFA was a better game last year and this year FIFA has left PES further behind in it's dust-trail.

Funny how the tables have turned:

PES is more of an arcade approach to the game than FIFA. It's great if you want to play a mate and score lots of goals in a ping-pong match. Fifa is a more difficult, engaging game and a far superior simulation of the game of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ardent wrote: »
    PES is more of an arcade approach to the game than FIFA. It's great if you want to play a mate and score lots of goals in a ping-pong match. Fifa is a more difficult, engaging game and a far superior simulation of the game of football.

facepalm1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

SRFC90 wrote: »

I used to love Pro, never bought a Fifa game ever, until '09. Pro, mainly sinced it has left the PS2 has become shite, lost it's sense of fun, gone backwards in terms of gameplay, and has become frustratingly static on its developing of no. of teams etc in the game.

Graphics are way better in pro imo, gmaplay much better too, way more realistic. Licencing issue can be overcome in 2 minutes. Online is fixed in pro. Pro far superior game now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i think your heads in the clouds bud

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭saltie

i think your heads in the clouds bud

me? why`s that now? My opinions are not as relevant as the original poster because you agree with him and not me? Same old story some poeple like fifa, some like pes so its a shoddy argument... every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 radio_protector

I wasn't really arguing, i was kinda saying that i'm just disappointed. I don't see how PES is more realistic, the new 360 control in fifa really adds realism. The thing that properly annoyed me about PES is how hard it is to make runs down the wing and cross...Ya can't tap a cross! How is that realistic!

In saying that, this is sorta like the whole PS3/360 debate, no winners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Perrin

i'll explain why your wrong. is it easy to score from midfield in real soccer? do players score from free kicks often? do you see players playing defense splitting passes from everywhere on the pitch in real life and getting several 1v1's against the keeper in a match?

the answer to all of them is no but if you ask the same about fifa the answer would be yes. every game of fifa follows the same boring predictable pattern. get ball, tap L1, hold triangle, release triangle, sprint, lob keeper, celebrate. anyone with any appreciation for soccer and genuine good play couldn't possibly play fifa.

Ya I got fifa10 there for the first time in ages and at the start I thought it was great but then it did become predictable but was really annoyed me was blind passes.Like playing someone the map is pointless they just hit the ball in the direction of there strikers and it usually goes to them.I just prefer it in pro when you see a players made a good run on the map and you can plan your attack in a sense

• Registered Users Posts: 34,083 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

As guy who has always played PES my briother got xbox for xmas and got FIFA 10 and have to say that FIFA is excellent and is now ahead of PES by some distance at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

SRFC90 wrote: »

I have bought both Fifa and PES, I decided to compair and I have to say, PES has the better game play. FIFA is way way too easy and more Glam, tricks and for kids rather than actually player skill (Person on the Controller skill). I dont understand how FIFA even gets alook in!

Sure PES 2009 wasnt a great success but PES 2010 is by far more challenging. I dont Play on-line so maybe FIFA is better as an on-line Arcade game but for your average Games player I simply cant understand the whole FIFA is better than PES 2010, Its simply not true In my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 blueharvest

I have to say, I played Fifa 10 for the first time last weekend on the 360. Granted, I thought the graphics were unreal, and the commentary was more fluid, it just didn't feel right, the game play is far too easy and unrealistic. PES 08 was definitely the best one in the past few years, but I think the next one will be better than '09 and '10. Surely people can see that the gameplay with PES is better???

The thing that properly annoyed me about PES is how hard it is to make runs down the wing and cross...Ya can't tap a cross! How is that realistic!

What do you mean by tapping a cross? Like a near post cross? Just double-click circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

My sentiments exactly. Dunno how people say fifa more realistic, through balls are so so easy, one on ones are so so easy and don't get me started on the ridiculous curl every player gets when crossing.

Pes hasn't improved Luke people would have hoped, but it still better than fifa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 radio_protector

What do you mean by tapping a cross? Like a near post cross? Just double-click circle.

I know how the game says it's done but even with a top quality player it is near impossible to get the ball to where you want it. I've tried PES 2010 for nearly a week now and still can't get it. I think i'm just too used to fifa at this stage!

Advertisement